Powells Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You VICs could make a bit of a weekend of it - cruise out there, pick up a car load of malt, check out the sights and sounds and then head home! :D

You VICs could make a bit of a weekend of it - cruise out there, pick up a car load of malt, check out the sights and sounds and then head home! :D

Well if they are still in Braeside, I drive past there every day and it's only a few minutes from home. They must be hidden away in a row of factories off the main road because I frequently go to the tool shop next door and never noticed them!

Well if they are still in Braeside, I drive past there every day and it's only a few minutes from home. They must be hidden away in a row of factories off the main road because I frequently go to the tool shop next door and never noticed them!

Well afromaiko, you have been nominated to do some ground work and pay them a visit :D

Rook

I emailed them about bulk buy and whether they supply 25kg bags along with freight costs to SA. I'll report back with whatever they reply with :)

Is this Powells or Glenbar Maltings?

Well afromaiko, you have been nominated to do some ground work and pay them a visit :D

Rook

Just went past there on the way home. Yes it looks like Powells are still in Braeside, pretty nondescript place just a handwritten sign in the window of the office. They probably knock off early on a Friday because it seemed all locked up and deserted.

:lol: You must be tongue in cheek TD.
Braeside is one of those places that dont have sights n sounds.

Afromaiko, follow your findings with interest, myself and at least another AHB`er were going to head there on the next requirement.

I can't believe Glenbar Malting was sitting right under my nose and I had no idea. I'll be getting some of their malt in for a try. Might try their lager as well.

Kirem, be sure to report back with your findings! :beer:

Methinks they may hide from pesky homebrewers? :lol:

Maybe MAH's run-in with them a couple of years ago left them feeling a little umm... "wronged"?

Edit: Sorry about that. I think Kirem is referring to Glenbar. I meant Powells.

Warren -

I would like to use and support local maltsters if possible.....

Methinks they may hide from pesky homebrewers? :lol:

Maybe MAH's run-in with them a couple of years ago left them feeling a little umm... "wronged"?

Edit: Sorry about that. I think Kirem is referring to Glenbar. I meant Powells.

Warren -

Yes I am referring to Glenbar, I would really like to try Powells malt as well.

I think malt is like alot of things, the big guys have extensive supply contracts in place and the small guys face those well know issues all small producers face.

High rates of malt that did not convert I had heard was more the issue than modification ... anyways viva la small suppliers!

Scotty

Haven't had a chance to drop in during business hours yet.

I have nothing from Glenbar.

Anything from Powells?
Kirem,

I had Graeme down today as we contract brew his Organic Glenbar Lager for him - he malts our sorghum. I'll ask him how home brewers can get their hands on his malt when I talk to him tomorrow.

Cheers, Andrew.

Powell's are indeed trading in Braeside,and are only too happy to sell to the general public/homebrewer.

My last visit six weeks ago pale and pils was $43 per sack,munich $50 from memory.Very nice people to deal with.

They are at the back of the factories between the pool lounge and all tools

Back