Powells Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took delivery of 50 kg of Powells yesterday (25kg Wheat, 25kg Pils) and I'm expecting no reduction in quality of my brews.

Doc

:chug:
Im in 100kgs Trad pale malt 50 kg pilsner malt. If the price is right. What did you guys pay on the last bulk buy.

Cheers Altstart

altstart, from memory it was around the $30 for a bag.. I think... was a while ago now.

Be nice to get it over here in the west, can't beat $30 a bag :)

Most the malts where around $20 , ale was $19.75,Pils $19.62,Wheat $20.75 and Vienna $20.24
Freight was on top of that , I had to order a pallet , 25 bags.

I am keen to do another after xmas , unless one of you guys want to do this one?
Freight would be less to Brissy

Batz

Vermont Fuel and Produce are still selling it last I checked. $30 bag or $1.50 by the kg.

You should call first because they basically buy a mixed pallet and you never know what they have left.

Just digging this old thread up.

Does anybody know if Powells is still around? Their website doesn't work anymore.

I found the malt to be excellent quality, with the only slight problem being a small fall in efficiency. But in these current times where dealing with Cryer etc directly appears to have been blocked, it'd be great to have a couple of other options on the table...

Anybody got any news on whether Powells is still operating?

Just digging this old thread up.

Does anybody know if Powells is still around? Their website doesn't work anymore.

I found the malt to be excellent quality, with the only slight problem being a small fall in efficiency. But in these current times where dealing with Cryer etc directly appears to have been blocked, it'd be great to have a couple of other options on the table...

Anybody got any news on whether Powells is still operating?

T.D,

They are still around but not operating out of the same place, they just recently shifted premises.

It was mentioned somewhere but i can't find the thread.

I think warren knows of there where they have moved to

Wazza ???????????

Rook

T.D,

They are still around but not operating out of the same place, they just recently shifted premises.

It was mentioned somewhere but i can't find the thread.

I think warren knows of there where they have moved to

Wazza ???????????

Rook

Found it T.D

post 70

link

Rook

Awesome, thanks Rook!

Good news that they are still trading!

:lol: and look who the next post is by in the thread!! :rolleyes:

Can you please post back with your findings TD?

Interested in grabbing some also.

Yeah, looks the goods huh. Great price too! I wonder what its like? I was told that Gulf Brewery uses this malt in all of their beers. Must be pretty decent you'd have to think!

Braeside ay? It would be nice to be able to pick up a sack or two on the way home from work.

Anyone had any luck visiting them and buying a couple of sacks direct?

A year or two back someone did a serious comparison of Powell's malt against the major competitors. (I submitted some Maris Otter for analysis.)

As I recall, the upshot was that it is less well modified than other malts, but will produce excellent results. To compensate for the lower efficiency, you either use a bit more (and it's so cheap, why not), or do a step or decoction mash.

Anyway, I haven't used it myself, but would be keen to give it a go sometime.

Braeside ay? It would be nice to be able to pick up a sack or two on the way home from work.

Anyone had any luck visiting them and buying a couple of sacks direct?

They used to deliver bag quantities for free I thought?

Anyone with some more current info, confirming or denying?

Q

Latest posts

Back