Portable single keg set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wort said:
This is my rig. It stays cold for a long time but I'd like a flow control tap for it as there is a fair amount of line inside, but it just get coiled around the bottom. Only holds a 9L keg tho.

gallery_651_850_165136.jpg
Wort,

Where did you pick up that cooler from?

Cheers,
Jase

I've got one like that from BCF/Raes outdoor.
Holds a 10 or 12 L keg

Well guys, I finally made a start on this.

Picked up one of these today: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261282369232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Have given it a thorough clean and now installed a camping type mat inside as insulation (more contact adhesive on my fingers and forearms than where it was supposed to be, will be fun to spend the next few hours peeling it off).
I took the handles and lid off and have given the barrel a quick coat of high-gloss white. Hopefully this should reflect a bit of heat and make it a bit prettier.

Still to do:

Modify the lid to make sure there is clearance for the disconnects.
Purchase tap,line etc
work out how to insulate base and lid
Brew beer.

EDIT: Cheers to stevepreece for the olive barrel idea :)

Amber Fluid said:
Just to throw an alternative out there....

What about utilising the Keg jackets that the sponsors sell?.... only about $25. I have no experience with them though so can't comment on how good they are....
I think these jackets are good but all they are doing is slowing down how fast your keg heats up so it would be good in a cooler climate but in the heat of summer you'd only have a few hours at most before you'd have to return the keg to the fridge. But great if your keg isn't going to last that long :chug:

Jase said:
Wort,

Where did you pick up that cooler from?

Cheers,
Jase
Sorry for the late reply Jase!

To be honest I struggling to remember when I made this it could be 5 or more years ago so I can't remember at all :unsure: but here is an orange one at BCF and this is the manufacturers web site. My (very cheap) tap does extend into the cooler a little bit so if my keg was any wider it could be a little hard to get it in there. I have the 9L version of the post mix keg I have seen some of the new all stainless versions that are a little wider and hold 10 or 11L they might struggle with the tap it the top a shorter shank tap would required. I have seen people remove the plastic tap from the bottom of the cooler and put their beer tap there but then you lose the ability to drain water easily.

Oh yeah I also drilled 3 or 4 6mm holes in the underside of the lid and filled it with expanda foam this work's great and I've done it to several of my cheap eskys, it helps with insulation and if someone sits on the lid there is more support and the lids last heaps longer!

Hey all, just glued on the last bit of insulation today.
All that is left is cutting the apropriate length of beer line and my portable keg is complete!

'scuse the dodgy phone pic.
I lined the inside with camping mat. Modded the lid to give more clearance and glued a pot-plant base to the bottom with insulation in-between.
Will test drive soon :D

Started out as one of these. Available on ebay for $22

Yes it does, just.
Have not attached the beer line yet, but my 19L ball lock with mini regulator does just fit. I had to mod the lid to achieve this though..
Would probably be a comfortable size for a pin-lock.

Finally got my top finished and the tap attached.

Its got a bucket in the bottom with expanding foam filling the void.

After seeing surly's looks like I might have to scrape the excess foam and paint mine too.
Guess I should have got the handled one too ho hum.

photo in my gallery

Just checked your gallery steve, looks like it should work a treat.
I had considered inverting the centre part of the lid like you did to make more room, but decided to cut a hole in it instead so it would still seal.. Not sure why I thought that would be important. I reckon your lid will probably work better.

I avoided using expanding foam, ever since I made a terrible mess with it years ago, I haven't touched the stuff :p

The extra couple of dollars for the handled barrel seemed like a smart buy to me :D

I rushed an improvised thing in a rubbish bin for yesterday's grand final. Just a round willow rubbish bin with three bags of ice, the corny and a few meters of beer line wrapped around the keg. Pluto to dispense. Gas bottle and reg strapped to the outside so the drunks wouldn't knock it over. It was awesome! Centennial lager - mothers milk. Next time I'll take two.

431neb said:
I rushed an improvised thing in a rubbish bin for yesterday's grand final. Just a round willow rubbish bin with three bags of ice, the corny and a few meters of beer line wrapped around the keg. Pluto to dispense. Gas bottle and reg strapped to the outside so the drunks wouldn't knock it over. It was awesome! Centennial lager - mothers milk. Next time I'll take two.
Seen some awesome ghetto set-ups like that in a thread on here. Would work a treat for an afternoon/evening.
I am hoping this will keep a keg cold for 2-3 days without extra ice. Maybe a little optimistic, but since it is a fairly sealed and roughly insulated unit with no need to open the lid, it MIGHT work. Fingers crossed anyway.

breakbeer said:
Had a guy at work make me up a bar top for it out of American Oak & 2 pack painted it black.
I bet all the cabinet makers and chippy's just shed a little tear..

It was actually stained black & clear coated in 2 pack, wood grain is still visible

I also have another top which is yet to be stained

breakbeer, I'm happy to hear that mate. It's such a nice timber, would have been a shame to just gloss black it.

surly said:
I had considered the polystyrene box approach. Was concerned about it not sealing well and the foam being easily damaged.
I can usually get my hands on the occasional box from work, so it might be a goer. Maybe cover the whole thing with contact adhesive for protection?

This would have been fun to watch. Pity you didn't go that way.

punkin said:
punkin said:
Yeah, I meant that clear plastic adhesive sheeting that your mum used to cover school books with to protect them. Contact adhesive would have been a bit fiddly, probably worse than my experience with expanding foam, especially since the polystyrene would dissolve... :p

When using something like this (ie a big container to hold the keg, filled with ice around it), how does one figure out the ideal line length and required co2?

I'm currently building a portable wooden bicycle bar which is a largish box made from plywood, which holds a corny keg seated in a polystyrene box, filled with ice. The box also fits in the co2 tank. This then runs beer line to a font mounted on top of the wooden box with a tap like a standard kegerator.

Thoughts?

Hey Maldridge,

I have not used this yet. Haven't had the occasion.
I have a flow control tap on there, so this should help take care of any line length issues. As for CO2? I was just going to carb the keg as per normal. Not sure why there would be a big diff? The keg will typically be stored in my keezer until I need to take it away with me, so temp should be fine for CO2 absorption. I will dispense with one of those KegKing mini regulators and soda bulbs. Might actually test it this weekend.. :)

Nice setup there Surly!

I bought exactly the same old olive barrel from a salvage place last week. For anyone in Melbs - A&R Second hand olive barrel they still had about 5 or 6 lying around when I was there. Place is on Sydney road Campbellfield, north side of the city, easy to get to for any Northern Vic guys as well. Only $15 so its worth nabbing one.

Do have any more pics of your setup, mainly the insulation setup inside and how it all fits? I was thinking of getting a ~250-300mm cylinder of plastic to put around the keg inside so less ice is required to cover the whole keg and then there's a buffer of air to the outside of the container. Also what mod did you do to the lid? It seemed the connecters, lines and all fit no probs, but I had nothing sitting on the bottom so Ill have to do something later on.

As soon as I get mine done I'll put up some pics, just a dirty red barrel atm so nothing special.

Back