Portable single keg set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some great stuff in here fellas!

Something to strive for! I already have a CUB keg set up at home, (regulator, font and gas), so only really need to do a brew and buy a few 19L jobs,

Might crawl before I walk though and do a few bottled brews first to make sure i can even do it lol,, :beer:

waggastew said:
Starting to put together my portable keg setup.

Main aim was to have something to take to parties to dispense 9.5L kegs AND be completely self contained. This last bit was the most difficult as I had to consider regulator, gas bottle etc. Went through a few permutations and ended up going with a SS bottle and single stage mini-reg. Decided against keg chargers as I didn't want to have to play around with the gas during the party. This setup should be essentially plug and play.

Just installed the tap.

13158415995_1bb739f171.jpg

Can you tell me where you got that reg from? are they the disposable gas cylinders?
thanks

azzasn said:
Can you tell me where you got that reg from? are they the disposable gas cylinders?
thanks
Reg is from Cheeky Peak Brewing - http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulators-accessories/product/239-stainless-steel-mini-reg

Gas cylinder is a Sodastream bottle. You can buy them pretty well anywhere (BIGW, Good Guys etc). You will also need an adaptor on the SS bottle to fit the reg. I bought mine from Keg King but CP also sell a similar thing - http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulators-accessories/product/494-co2-soda-stream-adaptor-with-washers

No affilliation to CP, they were the only ones I could find who stocked the regs. Seems to be working OK for my purposes.

Thanks for that, your setup there is how I want to do it. Are you refilling your own soda stream bottles?

FYI, you can swap empty Soda Stream bottles at Woolies for $16

The SS bottles are only used to push the beer out of the tap. I have a larger 3.8kg bottle and full reg to carbonate the beer in my tempmate controlled chesty. I remember reading on here somewhere the calcs for how much beer you can push with a SS bottle, something like 6-8 19L kegs?????? I figure I should slightly less than double that for 9.5L kegs i.e. 12kegs??? I actually plan to buy another SS bottle so I have a spare that can be used if the other runs out and I can still use the setup while waiting to go get a refill.

I'll post some pics of my keg esky on sunday, I'm half way through the build using foam core verandah roofing panels for insulation and skinning in 7mm ply
I discovered last night that liquid nails doesn't stick to foam that well and have to reglue half of the foam :(

About ten years ago my Dad converted a small Wheelie Bin into a kegorator, we painted the bin yellow and the lid white to look like a big beer. It was fully insulated and kept a keg cold for days. I used to have a photo on here but that was a long time ago and it seems to be missing.

We were talking about it a few months ago maybe even 6 as we haven't seen it since we all left Karratha and Dad sold it, anyway I went to his place for dinner last night and he wheels this out and says he has made me a new one. It's a bit of an improvement over the old one with checker plate and the decal is the same stuff they use on cars apparently. I'm thinking I might just have to give it a try today :)

gallery_651_1247_457959.jpg

gallery_651_1247_757136.jpg

gallery_651_1247_1058842.jpg

gallery_651_1247_1493811.jpg

Yob said:
Where'd he get the decal?
Hi Yob,

Thanks mate, he put a lot of work into it and he'll be stoked to get the good feed back.

I'm not sure where he got it done but he told me he took it into a printing/decal shop and asked them to make it look like a big beer. Apparently it wasn't that easy and the guy that did it would rather do a car than another bin :) He did a fantastic job tho!

Thought I'd dig this thread up! I recently bought my first keg setup with the aim of having some beer on tap at home and being able to take a keg to a mates place easily and thus settled on a 9.5L keg with a mini reg and 400g CO2 tank. My girlfriends 21st was on the long weekend and prior to that I brewed a pale ale that I wanted to have on tap during the party therefore I had to find a way to present the beer nicely. Us youngies at the moment seem to be all over anything rustic or indie looking and so I looked at a few ideas and decided I wanted to go with a wooden box using pallet wood for added rustic factor and low/no cost. Being only 22 I'm not exactly a seasoned woodworker or engineer but the construction was fairly basic and wasn't all that hard to throw together.

Heres the general box construction, its simply planks to the right height nailed together by a length at the top and bottom of the wall which are also used to hold the floor and lid:
Box Construction.jpg

The lid is simply more lengths not stuck together to make it flexible in terms of use and being able to open the box only partly (access to keg/co2 seperately):
Box with lid.jpg
Box.jpg

Made a shitty platform out of pallet bits to hold the CO2 cylinder at the right height so that the reg and gas tap can be above the lid, just happened to be the perfect height:
Platform Construction.jpg

There it is in the box just loose:
CO2 Platform.jpg
you can just see the box used to hold the keg in that photo, didnt get one of it by itself, its just a plastic box with handles, holds the keg and ice to keep the keg cold.

Heres the holes for the gas line and the reg and cylinder to come through:
Lid close up.jpg
Tank holes.jpg

last thing to do was add the tap holes and the handles for easy lifting, just drilled holes in the side for rope to fit through and that made the handles:
Done wo tap.jpg

and then same size hole held the tap perfectly:
Tap.jpg

Hope you guys like it, It was easy to throw together and I'm happy with how it performs and looks,

Cheers.

Afternoon !

Here's one for the E Melb people.

Pete's Bargain Centre, Maroondah Hwy/Chirnside Park, has these eskys for $30. As you can see they fit 9L kegs nicely with just enough room for fittings.
You'd probably fit a 1/3 bag of ice in there with it once assembled.
I plan on drilling out and siliconing a permanent shank at the top for a FC tap.

The cooler is clad in what looks like Galv and workmanship feels ok. Should last a while so long as you don't throw it about too much.

There was 4 or 5 left yesterday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just started on my own build for a camping trip next weekend. Bought two 50mm extruded polystyrene boards from bunnies and will cut glue and silicon them together then wrap with corflfute then silver wrap. I'll share as I go.

Project stalled due to the hot wire cutter I threw together has already chewed through all of my spare guitar strings and I haven't even completed my first cut yet :grrrr:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454061068.013905.jpg

Latest posts

Back