Portable single keg set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surly

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a few camping trips coming up and would love to take a keg along for the ride. Browsed a few threads here already, but since I have never actually set up a keg system before, this is all pretty new to me.
Firstly, I am wanting to use a 19L corny as I have these already. Since any esky that can fit one of these is going to be pretty expensive and bulky, I intend to build my own.

First thought was to use some of the large diameter PVC pipe. I believe about 300mm? Anyone know where this can be purchased and for how much? Seems ideal as it will be sturdy, hold water (with end cap in place) and I can easily insulate the outside.

Next I was wondering about dispensing.
For a tap I was thinking something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281129486814?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

For gas: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281162248363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I am very open to any other ideas or suggestions. Keep in mind that space will be at a premium and something sturdy is better! (cheaper is better too as long as I am not wasting money).

Thanks heaps :)

Think you will need a smaller shank maybe 1 for a tube or curved font look up chi company.
looking at doing one my self other ideas might be a plug at the bottom to drain water and I also seen little furniture removal things at Ikea you could attach it to. I was also thinking two polystyrene box's glued together might work. There is a lot of different ideas out there and I think I seen a thread with a shit load about them.
Good luck Jameson

Check out Florian's setups, can't remember which thread but it was an ace idea!

I have a length of stainless tube bent to sit about 50mm from the bottom of the esky. This keeps my 2 line cold plate off the bottom and out of the water. 3 taps in 50L esky with room for food. Only drama is because the kegs are warm and have to be held at higher pressure to balance the system. To keep them slightly cooler than ambient sit them in a tub of water with hessian bag over em so the bag soaks up the water.

I am the process of building my camping setup now.
80l olive barrel ($18 off ebay) + expanding foam and a bucket.

Will attach a tap and use one of those 18g co2 mini regulators from keg king to dispense.

The keg just fits with the regulator , no foam under the keg, will have stick some foam to the outside of barrel if it becomes and issue.

I have chucked a couple of pictures in my gallery if you want to have a look see.

I've got a setup of 12L keg in 38L circular esky works ok with flexible plastic hosetap and mini reg. No holes drilled just open lid and pickup tap.
But it takes a lot of ice to pre chill.
However I like the idea of using bottom layer of food esky and bigger kegs under wet hessian.

Also wondered about using 2 sizes of PVC say 225/300 and filling void with expanding foam. That way it'd be tall enough for a 19L with a lid

Daydreaming now but a 12v tempright would be good. Coil insulated with tap, smallest waeco style compressor on top.
Beyond me but it'd be no bigger than a shoebox and could run for days off a second 4wd battery.

I just started my camping keg build last weekend, pretty stoked with it so far. I'll upload some pics when I get home.

I started with a length of 300mm air conditioning pipe, I think they call it Spiral. I got it free from an air con place across the road. I also asked them for a 300mm end cap, but they only had a 345mm one spare. Thought this might be a problem, but once I glued on 2 layers of 10mm thick camping mat the end cap fits snugly over the top. I've also fitted an old ball valve to the bottom to drain water. Had a guy at work make me up a bar top for it out of American Oak & 2 pack painted it black.

Just trying to figure out the best way of dispensing the beer though. I was thinking a single tap font,coz it would look good & I already have a spare tap & shank, but might just go with a picnic tap

Now I just have to clad it, i'm thinking corrugated iron but the smaller corrugation

camping setup1.jpg
camping setup2.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys, thought I would just get told to "use search" :p

I have been to both Bunnings and Masters today and neither seemed to stock PVC pipe with a larger diameter than 150mm and I couldn't find anyone to ask. saw a couple of rubbish type bins, the sort with the foot pedal lid. These were just a bit too short. Would possibly fit a keg, but no room for the disconnects and line. So many items out there that are ALMOST right.

Breakbeer, that looks perfect :)
Is there enough room to get ice around the keg in that diameter? Looks like a very neet job with the camping mats. How did you attach them?

I reckon there's enough room for at least 2 bags of ice in there (I've got pin lock kegs which are slightly wider than ball lock kegs), just drain the water & top up with ice when needed. I might even use a mixture of ice & salt

I glued the camping mat onto the pipe with contact glue

booargy said:
Is one keg enough for a weekend?
depends...is it a long weekend? are you camping with mates? I recon the likely answer in either case is probably not!

stevepreece said:
I am the process of building my camping setup now.
80l olive barrel ($18 off ebay) + expanding foam and a bucket.
Bloody hell, 80lts is a lot of camping!

BPH87 said:
Check out Florian's setups, can't remember which thread but it was an ace idea!
Absolutely!

Just styrofoam box from the the local fruit and veg. shop. Stick up the lid with some duct tape, cut a hole in the top with a knife as the rubber part of the keg sticks out.

Fill with ice and it stays cold for a couple of days, fantastic idea of Florians.

Batz

Batz said:
Absolutely!

Just styrofoam box from the the local fruit and veg. shop. Stick up the lid with some duct tape, cut a hole in the top with a knife as the rubber part of the keg sticks out.

Fill with ice and it stays cold for a couple of days, fantastic idea of Florians.

Batz
You forgot to add to have swmbo pretty it up with some fancy handwriting on the front :)

Seriously though, great idea.

Latest posts

Back