Politics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets keep playing the percentage game. What's the percentage of people who arrive by boat that are found not to be refugees?

Bridges said:
Start here. My point at the start is just that it seems to be a smokescreen so we don't hear about anything else. We actually get more illegal immigrants arriving by plane than boat yet that is never mentioned. Yep some arrive without papers, some are no doubt dodgy, some though need our help and support to start a better life in a better country. Just because some are dodgy doesn't mean you should shaft all of them.
They all need papers in their own country.... Correct or not?.........if they are true refugees where do they get the money to pay people smugglers?.......Your talking 10’s of thousands of dollars.....but they don't have ID...how did they get to the departure country?

Liam_snorkel said:
Lets keep playing the percentage game. What's the percentage of people who arrive by boat that are found not to be refugees?
Refer my post

What happened to the 'true' refugees then?

This place has a history of people settling here looking for a better life and arriving by boat.
There's also a history of people being sent here by boat for a shitter life. Which tradition should we maintain?

and there are 45 million displaced people worldwide. Of course some are going to do whatever it takes to find somewhere to live without fear of being jailed, shot, raped or beheaded.

I know I would.

manticle said:
What happened to the 'true' refugees then?
This place has a history of people settling here looking for a better life and arriving by boat.
There's also a history of people being sent here by boat for a shitter life. Which tradition should we maintain?
For me Manticle thimgs have changed. In the time you are talking about there was no welfare system or at lewst very little so people had to work. We now have people coming to this country that are earming more than they could ever have imagined. Look at the job particapation rate with these people. Again papers?

Liam_snorkel said:
and there are 45 million displaced people worldwide. Of course some are going to do whatever it takes to find somewhere to live without fear of being jailed, shot, raped or beheaded.
I know I would.
Iran? Contrary to the whithouse view of things the main street s not that different to anywhere.......no welfare though..........contrary to Islam.

I don't care much for papers mate. I care for principles and sending someone to live in 3rd world civil unrest AFTER they've been found legitimate boggles my mind. How did we become such arseholes?

People found to be genuine and being given welfare because they're not allowed to work on shitty visas is hardly living it up. Even if the only people able to get on a shitty boat are their nation's wealthy, do they need to be punished?
One minute you're castigating them for being able to afford luxurious boat rides, the next suggesting they're earning the big bucks on our welfare system.
If they were that wealthy don't you reckon they'd have other options? What happens to gays in Iran?
Can't believe this is the most important issue in this and recent elections.

goomboogo said:
Oh noes, they're taking our entitlements.
No they are not entitlements. The welfare system is a financial model designed to help those that find themselves unable to earn an imcome. If youare able bodied the country would expect that you, after settling, would move into the workforce.

manticle said:
I don't care much for papers mate. I care for principles and sending someone to live in 3rd world civil unrest AFTER they've been found legitimate boggles my mind. How did we become such arseholes?
People found to be genuine and being given welfare because they're not allowed to work on shitty visas is hardly living it up. Even if the only people able to get on a shitty boat are their nation's wealthy, do they need to be punished?
One minute you're castigating them for being able to afford luxurious boat rides, the next suggesting they're earning the big bucks on our welfare system.
If they were that wealthy don't you reckon they'd have other options? What happens to gays in Iran?
It's not the issue Manticle. But it is an important issue. The people that are true refugees are sitting in hell holes all over the world. People that can pay are coming to Australia. How s that fair? Take the emotion out of it .

Have a go at this muppet. :lol:

How the hell did he ever get preselected?[/

Listen to the Assistant Treasuer this morning on Smooth FM.....one all I'd suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread seems to be repeating itself...

Rowy said:
It's not the issue Manticle. But it is an important issue. The people that are true refugees are sitting in hell holes all over the world. People that can pay are coming to Australia. How s that fair? Take the emotion out of it .
You're suggesting that people of means are paying the equivalent of a deposit for a house in Thornbury to travel halfway across the world, often separated from close family members, to take advantage of our welfare system?

You ever tried to live on welfare mate? It's not a great life. You think those people don't want to work? What impediments are there to newly found able-bodied refugees finding work here instead of jumping into the dole queue?
I guess if it was made a bit easier for them to meaninfully contribute, people would be up in arms that they're 'taking our jobs'.

Another easy target. Not just welfare recipients but foreign welfare recipients. My partners grandparents came here on a boat Rowy. Hard to completely remove the emotion.

And yes - they paid.

Rowy said:
Iran? Contrary to the whithouse view of things the main street s not that different to anywhere.......no welfare though..........contrary to Islam.
exactly - pretty much anyone who isn't shiite has been trying to get out of Iran since the revolution. DO they 'count' as refugees, well I don't know it's not my job to work out, but I can't blame them for wanting to get out of there. Not to mention the million plus Afghans and Iraqi refugees in Iran itself.

manticle said:
As usual you put tne best argument....but papers? Could one of you people please tell me why if you are a genuine refugee you would ditch your papers? This is at least my 4th request. By the way just starterd holidays and brewing a Stout tomorrow......now those papers? One cogent argument please about papers.....just one?

Back