plz critique my method of brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunterslodge

Reaction score
Hi blokes,haven't been on for awhile,family busy etc etc,
over last couple years I ve been doing mainly extract brewing plus kegging etc.

I've a temp control fridge fitted with stc1000, normally fv at 19 deg
i fv in 19 liter corny kegs fitted with blow off bottle.
i can fit 4 in at a time.

i have started delving into BIAB brewing and all grains,but am looking into V1,
anyways my main question is this,could you critique my steps and let me know what you think,mainly concerned with conditioning/aging and be grateful for any thoughts etc.

1. So either way I have my wort ready at approx 20 to 25 degrees,pitch my yeast in ,all into the corny keg,close up,fit blow off and leave for at least a good week,bubbling finished.
  2. rack off to another corny,fluid out tube has been cut to limit min trud being picked up.
  3. leave for another good week,no blowoff attached .in fv fridge at 19deg.
  4. then i normally cold crash to 1 to 2 deg for a few days and then transfer to kegerator,
  5. attach co2 at pouring pressure for a good week.
so would you recommend after step 3,bring outside fv fridge and leave in aircond brew room set at 24deg for a good couple weeks to condition then place in kegerator at 1 deg to cold crash and then co2 after a week etc?
also for the 2nd week,which i understand to be 2nd fermentation,do i leave blow off off?

my fv fridge can take 4 cornys and my kegerator can take 4 cornys ,..

look forward to your thoughts,thanks in advance,pat.

For the second week of fermentation, yes keep blow off to let gas escape. But I'd be more inclined to leave it in the original corny for 2 weeks. Then cold crash it, then rack it into your serving keg and set co2 to serving pressure.

Leaving it for the extra week on yeast will allow the yeast to cleanup after itself, if you take it away too early you can hold on to unwanted flavours, regardless of how much further conditioning you do.

DJ_l3hal,thanks,so ill keep the blowoff on for a good 2 weeks,so no point in letting it condition at room temp/24 deg a couple weeks before cold crashing?

regards
pat

No need for room temp when kegging, keep it cold and it will transfer clearer and be ready for co2 hookup straight away!

The ambient temp conditioning is for bottles, to allow the yeast to come back from their sleep and chew your priming sugar for bottle carbonation.

Latest posts

Back