Plate Heat Exchanger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Reaction score
So I have just bought a plate heat exchange from G&G and it didn't come with instructions. I am aware that its fairly self explanatory with the in and out but is there anything i need to know any pointers..

on mine the wort in/out is smaller than the water in/out.
obviously the wort and water flow in opposite directions.
adjust the temperature by increasing/decreasing the flow of water.
make or buy an inline thermometer on the wort out pipe - piece of ss tube with a stick on thermometer so you know if you need to increase/decrease the flow of water to hit the desired tempertature.
(too late) buy a better spec than you need so you use less water.
ideally reuse the water for cleaning etc.
blast hot water in the opposite direction to the wort flow after use to clean the worst out. ideally pop it in the oven to sterilise after use or at least sanitise before use.
apparently ones you can take apart and clean are better (for that purpose) but are more expensive and i'm not sure if they are really necessary if you reverse flush them immediately.

So I have just bought a plate heat exchange from G&G and it didn't come with instructions. I am aware that its fairly self explanatory with the in and out but is there anything i need to know any pointers..
Well....
I run mine in reverse...so...wort in is paired at one end with water out and then wort out is paired with water in ....
This means that the the wort out is in contact with the coldest water ( have a look in my gallery for the ferginator 2000 that i run off a big bin filled with water and ice)
ferg2000
At the end of using it , i then flush in reverse for 30 mins with oxyper and then flush with fresh water....
Have to say i love mine.....
Can chill from boiling down to pitch temp in 15 to 20 minutes....
Gold !
Chers
Ferg

heat exchangers are most efficient when run 'counter-current', it does not matter what physical direction the wort flow is as long as it is the opposite to your cooling (or heating) water is. that's all there is to it

Ferg is what your discribing is as below -
Wort In /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Wort Out
Water Out /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Water in

Then thats not reverse thats the correct way to plumb it. They are "counterflow' design.

Latest posts

Back