Plastic Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blekk

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows about these and if they can be refilled/gassed ect.

Ecokeg

Oneway keg

If they can be refilled/gassed, looks like a good option considering they hold 30-38lts

Cheers

Was wondering if anyone knows about these and if they can be refilled/gassed ect.

Ecokeg

Oneway keg

If they can be refilled/gassed, looks like a good option considering they hold 30-38lts

Cheers

After reading about the product and given the terms Non Return Keg. I'd assume they'd only be useful for recycling into polar fleece after their initial use. I'd also imagine they'd not distribute to the home user so you'd need to know someone with a pub using them to get your hands on one.

What I was thinking was that if a pressure relief and non return valve for re-gassing could be taped in, then it could be reusable?

I have a new one for sale if anyone is keen to get their hands on one. It has a 30L capacity.

Cheers :)

Matt

resurrecting old thread...

anyone using ecokegs? i can get hold of some.. is it possible to clean and refill them?

cheers

There are at least 20 out the back of archive that kempy wants gone.

Having worked fairly extensively with eco kegs, I reckon that you probably could use them afterwards, but they wont last long.

You might be lucky and get 10 uses out of them before faults start, but would you be willing to risk that much beer?

The biggest problem is the plastic coupler fitting and the metal couplers wearing the plastic away.

They effectively work the same as a commercial CUB or Lion nathan keg.

I work as a duty manager at a pub and have a bit of experience with these kegs.
When I first saw them, I thought exactly the same thing, "I wonder if I could use them."
Firstly, to properly dispose or recycle them they need to be depressurised. This is done by releasing the pressure through the coupler without the gas fitting attached so the pressure can vent, then u need to pierce the inner bladder with a sharp tool inserted through the hole in the base. So if you wanted to refill them you will need to make sure this isn't done.
The other thing about these kegs is that they are completely sealed. The plastic fitting wont come off or "unscrew" so anything going in or coming out will need to go through the coupler, I imagine, because of this they would be a bugger to clean. This is about where I lost interest in using them. Couldn't guarantee that I could clean them properly. Also there is the problem of the coupling fitting wearing out. Like the others, I reckon you'd get a dozen or so uses out of them before u had issues.

I have found another use for it though..... I am currently in the process of building a portable keg setup that will fit a corny using the plastic outers of these kegs. I'll post pics once completed if u wish. It's been quite the project but its finally coming along....

How are they even remotely "eco" if they are single use only? I don't get it.

I believe the term 'eco' refers to economical and not eco friendly in this case

Its economical since there isn't the money tied up in the keg that the brewer has to track down and ensure return

Lol. Me neither. Probably called "Eco" because breweries consider them economical as they don't have to have such a large stock of kegs and the ability to store them so they can turn over these plastic kegs regularly. Makes it a little easier on the smaller micros too as they don't have to have the capital to outlay for keg stock. The price would just get added on to the purchase price of the beer.

They don't need to be shipped back to the supplier using petrol/drivers/meat pies, or cleaned, they can be recycled, and they are useless to homebrewers/lo-fi interior designers for theft.
Shame though. Not quite the same seeing a truck full of plastic bins. Or a country pub with loads of these stacked outside.

Orroroo Hotel.jpg

+1 it takes the romance out of it.

I understand the concept with beer shipped from overseas. But I hope they dont plan on using them for domestic beer.

Latest posts

Back