Plastic Kegs Are On The Way!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone covered the issues with beer storage in plastic and oxidation?
I think they'd be fine for shoter term storage and dispensing, but isn't the beer going to oxidise over time? Pretty much all plastic materials are oxygen permeable.

MFS
Out of personal experience with leaving a brew in a plastic fermenter over 6 months, I can say that there was little effect on the beer.
However, due to the fact that the beer in question was a barley wine, where oxidised flavours are favoured, its quite hard to to say whether its worthwhile.
Needless to say, I think plastic kegs arn't a bad idea for the short term....less than a month you'd be unlikely to notice much difference from oxygen being absorbed by the plastic.

Cheers Wimby.

Hey eteo, I see they are chinese. I'd be a bit worried about food grade stuff out of china at the moment. Hope you have a few mates that need them if you are going to get 1000 of them, or even 400. :party:

Cheers
Dubbo

hi guys i am keen to get my hands on one of the 5 litre plastic kegs as per this post and also the next size up just to try them out may switch instead of cornys does anybody know if i can you use standard corny fittings with these and also where one could obtain a few of these kegs from without having to but container load ?? also anybody else keen/thinking of purchase as i have a 5ltr corny (small one) bloody handy but gees there expensive had to buy new and will be selling 5 x cornys standard and 1 x small corny if plastic kegs work well.

cheers and beers

vanin

Don't think it's worth landing a shipping container yet.
Here is a post regarding the local (Australian made) ones that Tommy / Delboy was trying to flog.
Did anyone try these ones?

- Luke

hi guys i am keen to get my hands on one of the 5 litre plastic kegs as per this post and also the next size up just to try them out may switch instead of cornys does anybody know if i can you use standard corny fittings with these and also where one could obtain a few of these kegs from without having to but container load ?? also anybody else keen/thinking of purchase as i have a 5ltr corny (small one) bloody handy but gees there expensive had to buy new and will be selling 5 x cornys standard and 1 x small corny if plastic kegs work well.

cheers and beers

vanin

Hi Vanin,

I emailed them asking them the same question. I have a feeling they are similar to ecokegs with American Sankey couplings and not our usual Corny keg quick disconnects. But I'll wait for their reply.

Yeah, not sure about their food grade stuff. But then almost everything is made in China nowadays. Definitely not ready for a container load thats for sure!

Hey eteo, I see they are chinese. I'd be a bit worried about food grade stuff out of china at the moment.

I can imagine the phone call.

Me: I'm a bit worried about lead in your kegs. Lead is bad.
Chinese Keg Manufacturer: Sure, no lead. Blue okay?

:rolleyes:

ETEO, KEEP ME POSTED SURELEY WE MUST BE ABLE TO GET A FEW INSTEAD OF A CONTAINER LOAD JUST TO SAMPLE AND THE THE MERCHANSIE I THOUGHT PEOPLE IN THAT KIND OF WORLD CAN MAKE TO ANYTING, MABYE WE EMAIL THEM AND TELL THEM IF THEY CANT THE INDIA CAN THAT MIGHT HURRY THEM UP

CHEERS AND BEER VANIN

Anyone covered the issues with beer storage in plastic and oxidation?
I think they'd be fine for shoter term storage and dispensing, but isn't the beer going to oxidise over time? Pretty much all plastic materials are oxygen permeable.

MFS

Just one thought, if a keg was kept under pressure during storage, wouldn't the pressure differential be enough to prevent oxygen entering the keg? obviously some CO2 would leak through the plastic, however the pressure differential wouldn't need to be all that high, so the flow rate should be low & proportional to the surface area of the plastic not covered by beer, ie an empty plastic vessel would leak faster. As a keg is emptied, it would oxidise quicker or leak more CO2.

Ben

My thoughts as well :D
Ain't much getting in with 10+psi of positive pressure on the inside.

My curiosity aroused, these plastic kegs we are waxing on about are one off usages only, aren't they ?

No, it was mentioned earlier in the thread FG, these are quite common for the folks in the mother country, cleaning was raised, they look awkward, no harder than getting inside a corny said Wimby!
The topic has just gone left field....... AGAIN.

Just one thought, if a keg was kept under pressure during storage, wouldn't the pressure differential be enough to prevent oxygen entering the keg? obviously some CO2 would leak through the plastic, however the pressure differential wouldn't need to be all that high, so the flow rate should be low & proportional to the surface area of the plastic not covered by beer, ie an empty plastic vessel would leak faster. As a keg is emptied, it would oxidise quicker or leak more CO2.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. What's important is that the concentration of oxygen in beer is low, and the concentration of oxygen in air is much higher. That 'concentration gradient' drives the oxygen into the beer, regardless of how much CO2 the keg is pressurized with.

Think of it this way. Imagine there is a fenced off field somewhere with a huge population of rabbits, but no other animal. A rabbit on the outside of the fence, seeing all the other rabbits inside, would not be likely to try and cross the fence into that field. Instead, rabbits would likely be trying to escape the fenced field. But a coyote or a dingo, on the other hand, would do everything they could to get across the fence.

Yeah, like Newguy (and maybe Dalton) says, its counter-intuitive, but only CO2 molecules outside the container can see that pressure, anything else just zooms on in there.

Latest posts

Back