1/2" 2-way Motorized Ball Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi andy,

is that price for SS 24v units? I'm interested in 240v SS

Beers Crozdog.

Offtopic PS: can you drop me a PM re what's happening re BJA? Haven't heard anything since anhc.

I'll let you know once I know what the bank transfer us going to cost...

Ok. Cost came in at AU $360 for 10 shipped to me. With the shipping prices I've been quotes, I can probably land 24 at my door for about $32 USD (note the currentcy difference in case anything happens in the markets) per unit.

Andy

hi andy,

is that price for SS 24v units? I'm interested in 240v SS

Beers Crozdog.

Offtopic PS: can you drop me a PM re what's happening re BJA? Haven't heard anything since anhc.

That's for 1/2" SS 12V units. Apparently a 240V version is available for about another $10USD.

Andy

Folks,

The valves arrived today, and appear to be in good order. Basically a stainless steel valve body with a 1/2" bore.

These are available in a variety of wiring modes, but the most likely for us is a power-on=open, power-off=closed mode. It operates on VDC 5-24. Apparently they will also work on VAC 5-24.

Use cases tested:

Normal Operation:

Apply 00VDC : Valve closed (OK)
Apply 05VDC : Valve open (OK - current draw of 150mA declines to 0 as valve closes)
Apply 12VDC : Valve open (OK)
Apply 24VDC : Valve open (OK)
Apply 00VDC : Valve closes (no current draw - motor is powered via a capacitor in this configuration)

Fail modes:

Apply 12V, jam valve open: Valve stalls. No oscillation, no back off. No current change noticable as a detection mechanism. Valve closes completely after removing blockage, but only just (capacitor charge will disipate with time, meaning that after a while the valve will remain partially open if left in this state for some time).

Disassembly test:

The unit has a ribber seal to minimise risk of liquid penetration. I broke it down only to the point of identifying the gears - I wasn't up for remembering the gear configuration at this point to verify the opperating modes for the motor :). Suffice to say it looks very well built for the price, with no plastic moving parts, and silicon grease on all friction surfaces.

Verdict:

All up - these look like the ducks nuts! I'm going to do a hydrostatic test overnight (with any luck) to make sure the valve itselve is a good seal, but for our purposes this is going to do the trick nicely.

I've attached a couple of pics of the outside of the unit (didn't think to do the inside while I had it open - sorry).
295.jpg

296.jpg

Pros:

Super fast delivery - UPS (left China Friday, arrived Monday afternoon)
Very reasonable price

Cons:

Payment requires an international bank transfer (CBA charged me $30 for the honour, and then a fee for paying by VISA on the day).

Star rating - Mega! :)

I'm going to ask around our club to see if anyone is interested in a bulk buy, but I'd be cautious about bringing in too many. 24 units will keep us under the import duty threshold, but many more will draw attention.

Andy

Here's the possible wiring configurations for those who might be interested. I'm not sure how happy they'll be mixing and matching in an order, but it's worth knowing in case you need a specific one...

CR_Wiring_Connections.jpg

Stop it guys...you are all teasing with this talk of automating :(

Folks,

I'm going to be ordering a shipment of these for Melbourne Brewers shortly, and there's room for a few more if anyone is interested.

I don't have a firm price yet, but once I get enough "interest" I'll get a firm quote and then put in an order.

All the details are in this thread...

Andy

Hey Andy,

I am possibly for a few, price dependant of course. Are the ones you are looking at ordering from KLD? The KLD20 units.

Also interested in a couple of the 3 way valves.

Cheers

Sully

Edit: didnt think to scroll back to read previous posts... :rolleyes: looong morning thus far...

Hey Andy,

I am possibly for a few, price dependant of course. Are the ones you are looking at ordering from KLD? The KLD20 units.

Also interested in a couple of the 3 way valves.

Cheers

Sully

Edit: didnt think to scroll back to read previous posts... :rolleyes: looong morning thus far...

Nope - it's a no-name chinese model, normal ball valve. All stainless valve.

Andy

Hey, I'll grab two if you can fit me in. Can transfer funds to you whenever you're ready. Thanks

Interested depending on price of course....

compatible with brewtroller?

compatible with brewtroller?

I haven't looked at the brewtroller - as long as it applies a current to open the valve, and then removes it to close it I would say yes.

That said, I'd personally not be driving it directly from the micro's outputs, so if there's not already a buffer circuit on the output to pull the current up, I'd be looking at putting one in there.

Andy

Guyss,

I am going to get a quote tonight based on current numbers:

Mel Brewers: 6 valves
Sully : 3 valves
Sean_O : 2 valves

Nick B and Gava haven't specified qty yet.

I'll be sending through advice for a quote tomorrow morning, so anyone who wants one should let me know before then.

ALSO

BrewTroller Users:

The valve they use looks identical, but is a three wire configuration (with fail-open) whereas the controller I chose is only two wire (with a fail-closed configuration). Both are available, just specify which one you want.

NOTE: I do not have a brewtroller system, so check the wiring diagram in this thread for the CR03 configuration, and check for yourself that this is going to work for you. I believe it will, but can't guarantee it.

Andy

i've spoken to some brewtroller users who said they've had a few of theses units and they're pretty good unless you get a busted one then the supplier can't speak english :)
if using on brewtroller they recommend to get the ones supplied by brewtroller....

Based on the info regarding Brewtroller I will have to sit this one out. Cheers, Sully

I'll pass as well, as I'd really prefer the 240v versions.

I have spoken to a supplier about these, so if anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll see what they can do on price...

Cheers

No probs Sully & Nick,

Can't comment on the return issue, since the units I've been test running haven't died yet despite me hammering them. Not to say that it couldn't happen, but the lass I've been dealing with communicates very well indeed for a China-based operation.

I'm interested in the brewtroller comment though, given that their device has an extraordinarily similar industrial design - I'll put money on theirs being from China, possibly even the same supplier...

Nick, would be interested to hear how much the 240V units you can source end up being...

Andy

Price is in fo rthe current qty.

$29USD per valve, plus $9 per unit shipping, and then $2 per unit for the money transfer, so all up $40 per valve.

Both shipping and valve costs are up from last time I ordered ($26 and $7 for unit and shipping).

I will PM those who are interested. Will understand if this breaks the bank.

Andy

Latest posts

Back