1/2" 2-way Motorized Ball Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can vouch for the KLD valves - I have the 240V ones and they work great. Takes about 5 seconds to close by itself once power is switched off. It was a pain dealing directly with China, if I were doing it again I go directly to the brewtroller guys that Kirem has already mentioned. I've also ordered stuff from them and they provide great service.

Exactly what I wanted to hear Arnie. Think it might be worth shooting them off an email and seeing what sort of pricing I can get.

Exactly what I wanted to hear Arnie. Think it might be worth shooting them off an email and seeing what sort of pricing I can get.
Happy to help out. Hey I work in Mooroolbark these days. If you want to see one before you buy, send me a pm.

I pointed JonW (the builder of the rig listed) over to this thread and he had a few points to add (sent by PM on another forum):

Mark,

I went over to your AHB forum and read the thread.

Some points:

- The commets by "kirem" regarding the capacitor issue is only on one of their wiring schemes. They have multiple ways of wiring (B2, B3, BD3). I chose B3 so that the valves would be powered open and closed with no reliance on an internal capacitor.

- The valves at the BrewTroller site are not B3 wiring configuration - I've not looked at them closely, so I don't know off-hand which of the wiring schemes they are. However, they also require the use of a relay board to switch them, so they would work just fine with the BCS.

- The comments from "dent" regarding the 3 pumps being redundant. The design could easily be done with 2 pumps and some additional valves, except for one requirement that I wanted to meet. I wanted to be able to do back-to-back brew sessions and be mashing while my first brew is finishing in the boil without any cross-contamination in the lines. Since I do continuous recirculation on both my HLT & MLT, I wanted a dedicated pump for the boil kettle to keep them separate. When you put a few thousand into a brew build, another $100 pump is cheap for the simplicity and flexibility gained.

Regards,
Jon

ps: for driving the valves, here's the relay board I used with the BCS: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130443542534

Thanks Kirem.

A bit of an update... I've located and made contact with an Australian KLD distributor (www.hydropure.com.au), so should have a price reasonably soon (they said that they almost absorb the shipping costs, because they come as part of a much larger shipment from KLD). I'm not optimistic that pricing will be any cheaper, but at least I'll local support etc.

1/2in and 3/4in BSP and NPT are so close you wouldn't know the difference. The tpi is the same, the angle of the threads is a degree or 2 different, thats all.

1in and above- no way, different tpi, 1/2 a turn and it jammed and still leaking.

USD 44 for a 1/2 in electric ball valve is scarily cheap - you've got to worry if they're really up to it. But if there's a local importer who will stand behind them, good on them.

I stumbled upon a build thread in the US that incorporated 1/2" 2-way motorized ball valves. I've made a few enquiries, and he purchased them for $44 USD each (including shipping), but needed to buy 20 to get the price down that low.

I've had a look at the details for the valves and they seem to be more than suitable for the application. Here are the links:

The build thread (well worth a look even if you're not interested in the valves)
Manufacturers product detail page: http://www.electric-valve.com/20-1.html
Videos of the valve in action: http://www.absolutecentrifuge.com/specifications.aspx#spec03

My question is, if the pricing stacks up (I've emailed for updated pricing including delivery to Melbourne), would anybody be interested in buying a couple? My brew rig will require 6 units in total, so that means that there would be 14 I'd need to offload.

In relation to your 1/2" 2-way motorized ball valves,we can provide you with the price only 22USD,if you are interested,please contact me through [email protected], or Skype:amyzhang3000.
PS we are specialized manufacturer and exporter for motorised ball valves in China,we can delivery your goods through courier for your small order.

Regards,

Amy

Electric_Valve_3_4_Stainless_Steel_Valve_CE_Certification.jpg

Thanks Kirem.

A bit of an update... I've located and made contact with an Australian KLD distributor (www.hydropure.com.au), so should have a price reasonably soon (they said that they almost absorb the shipping costs, because they come as part of a much larger shipment from KLD). I'm not optimistic that pricing will be any cheaper, but at least I'll local support etc.

We can provide motorised ball valves with price around USD22,should you have any inquiry,please do not hesitate to contact me [email protected] ,or Skype:amyzhang3000,

:icon_drool2:

*Wearing a hole in it*

OMFG - unbelievable, absolutely outstanding engineering and design.

Who said AG was expensive ;)

Thanks for posting!

We can provide motorised ball valves with price around USD22,should you have any inquiry,please do not hesitate to contact me [email protected] ,or Skype:amyzhang3000,

lol... what sort of amazing Chinese spambot have you got trolling the webs looking for forum threads with the phrase "ball valve"? Impressive..

At $22 I'd definietly be in for 6... Amy, do you have details on the material (I presume they're nickel plated rather than Stainless Steel?)

Thanks,

Andy

Geez. I just got a reply from Amy... these are in fact brass, but they will do Stainless for extra. How much?

An extra $2 USD !!!!! At $24 a unit I'll burn 6 on the off chance that they might burn out. Good thing I've left room in my controller module to drive valves.

It does mean going back to the keyboard to put in new code... who am I kidding. This could be great!

Who's in? :)

Andy

Oooooh... "The Great Chinese Ball Valve Buy of 2011" has begun.... now where's my popcorn?

Sorry, couldn't help it, Andy.... :p Not being a naysayer, just a smartass. Hope it all goes well!

I know what you mean... tell you what - I'll take one for the team and order some in. Will give you the low down when they hit the shore...

Andy

Geez. I just got a reply from Amy... these are in fact brass, but they will do Stainless for extra. How much?

An extra $2 USD !!!!! At $24 a unit I'll burn 6 on the off chance that they might burn out. Good thing I've left room in my controller module to drive valves.

It does mean going back to the keyboard to put in new code... who am I kidding. This could be great!

Who's in? :)

Andy

Just remember that freight is the real killer with these... I ended up ordering mine through open source control systems, purely because they had runs on the board and I could pay with paypal.

Not the same valves, but couldn't be happier with the transaction.

Andy, did you get those valves in yet? Anything to report?

Andy, did you get those valves in yet? Anything to report?

I've been talking with them about shipping and payment... they only do bank transfer. But I will be putting in an order for 10 tomorrow. Will report back as soon as I've seen them.

Andy.

Great. Here i was thinking actuated ball valves are $$$, and they turn out to be quite cheap. Even at $50 a pop that is quite doable. Sounds like the spare time project over the next year to build some automation in.

I've been talking with them about shipping and payment... they only do bank transfer. But I will be putting in an order for 10 tomorrow. Will report back as soon as I've seen them.

Andy.

What was ther total cost for 10?

Latest posts

Back