Plastic Kegs Are On The Way!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteo

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Was surfing the net and stumbled upon this site:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11858354/A_...very_Time_.html

Looks interesting. Apparently tested and FDA approved. The link says it costs USD 31 for an order of 400.

PS. I am no way connected to that company. Just happened to stumble upon the site.

Another interesting site is this

http://www.roaring-tigers.com/length/batam-girls

Scroll down to the bottom image. The girls are holding a dispenser that looks like an adapted cooler. Anyone seen anything like this before? Should be interesting to modify.

Cheers!

Plastic_keg.jpg

The keg looks like an ECOKEG see this link

The cooler looks like it has 1 of those air pumps on the lid. I'd prefer co2, but if it is only for a night / party it'd work.

In my state of inebriation I have to say that I may not be right here, but I think that I spied the Steam Exchange brewery in Goolwa using the plastic kegs when I was there on the weekend. Could be all the rage for home keg setups if they take off.

Jeremy.

my lhbs has these for $100, they are barely moving collecting dust.

Whats your opinion on them RR?

the ones i saw were the same as the first pic in the thread, plastic grey with a blue lid. the lid unscrews in the middle (where it domes down) not the whole blue area.
nearly enough to kind of get your hand in. i lifted one up and had a look they did seam very light, cheap and plasticy and after seeing it i wasn't to impressed.

before seeing them i did kind of like the idea if it came with standard corny connections and i didnt have to buy a coupler. but can't really see them lasting to long in a homebrew
enviroment like a good 'ol ss blingy keg!

I'm using EcoKegs at work for 'one way' keg traffic (beer comps, external sales etc). Seems OK. Quite flimsy. The excise rate for packages less than 48 litres is so high that EcoKegs aren't likely to find favour with craft brewers.

Plastic kegs are quite the norm here in the UK. 5Gal plastic keg with sodabulb for dispensing.

check it

prod_large_1243.jpg

Plastic kegs are quite the norm here in the UK. 5Gal plastic keg with sodabulb for dispensing.

check it
they do look a lil awkward to clean, can u use standard fittings without the bulb i.e co2 bottle.
sake of repeating myself, they also look awkward size wise too fridge. i gather we are chilling this one long term (5 gal).
its interesting and more n more plastic without couplers will come on the market, as a consumer/purchaser its great!

they do look a lil awkward to clean, can u use standard fittings without the bulb i.e co2 bottle.
sake of repeating myself, they also look awkward size wise too fridge. i gather we are chilling this one long term (5 gal).
its interesting and more n more plastic without couplers will come on the market, as a consumer/purchaser its great!

Why would a pom put their keg in a fridge?

Can you use them as a kettle or would they melt :huh:

pumpy :)

They come in many shapes and sizes howevr can be awkward to clean coz of the small top but some fermenters are like that too.
They cant be used with a standard coupling as the soda bulb coupling at the top is a unique fitting i think.
They are good fridge size, but in winter here you dont need to fridge it. Its 4deg outside today! Great for taking to the local park (2 handles, 1 bloke each side :D )
Not many places here sell steel kegs (cornelius? :huh: ) like u have in aus. I would say majority of home brewers have these things.

Can you use them as a kettle or would they melt :huh:
pumpy :)

Um no. they'd melt.

Does the keg take the whole soda bulb contents? Would this not give the keg way more than pouring pressure? Does it have a reg or a relief valve.

My father won a 10 litre aluminium keg about 30 years ago playing rugby league. It has a fitting for soda bulbs as well as a tyre valve fitting for CO2. I have previously gassed it with a soda bulb and managed to spray beer all over the place as the pressure was too high. :angry: I have had to fit a small regulator so now it uses what it needs out of the soda bulb but then expends the rest to atmosphere wasting the rest of the bulb. This was only testing and have not used it since fitting the new reg.

Cheers
Dubbo

Anyone covered the issues with beer storage in plastic and oxidation?
I think they'd be fine for shoter term storage and dispensing, but isn't the beer going to oxidise over time? Pretty much all plastic materials are oxygen permeable.

MFS

Does the keg take the whole soda bulb contents? Would this not give the keg way more than pouring pressure? Does it have a reg or a relief valve.

My father won a 10 litre aluminium keg about 30 years ago playing rugby league. It has a fitting for soda bulbs as well as a tyre valve fitting for CO2. I have previously gassed it with a soda bulb and managed to spray beer all over the place as the pressure was too high. :angry: I have had to fit a small regulator so now it uses what it needs out of the soda bulb but then expends the rest to atmosphere wasting the rest of the bulb. This was only testing and have not used it since fitting the new reg.

Cheers
Dubbo

Hey Dubbo,

It doesnt take the whole contenet, there is a inlet and pressure relief valve on the lid (see pics).

Anyone covered the issues with beer storage in plastic and oxidation?
I think they'd be fine for shoter term storage and dispensing, but isn't the beer going to oxidise over time? Pretty much all plastic materials are oxygen permeable.

MFS

MFS, this discussion came up in another thread that i was part of a few days ago. someone quoted the typical diffusion rate through plastic. It was something so little that over the short period we are talking about kegging its not worth discussing. If you think about it, you can lager beers in plastic fermenters for months or weeks with no prob. I know i cant keep 5G of beer for more than a couple of months, gets drunk too quickly :D

imgT790.jpg

imgT776.jpg

Latest posts

Back