Plastic Fermenter Degradation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eamonnfoley

Foleybraü
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 typical 30L plastic fermenters from the HBS. I brew with them, soak in PBW, rinse, starsan etc.

Was using both of them one day to full up with RO water the day before a brewday. Tasted the RO water on the brewday and noticed it had a distinct plastic taste - had to tip the RO water that had taken about 10 hours to prepare. Was completely shocked and now I'm worried the fermenters have been tainting my beer and possibly my health.

I thought these things were food grade? How do we really know? Can the plastic be destabilised if left to soak in PBW for a few days? Will get a new one - a different brand and see how I go.

Cheers,

Foles.

Yeah, even with the food grade Willow ones I've experienced a few problems when they are new. I have found that rinsing them out with boiling water helped a lot. I've found the problem mainly occurs when boiling water is placed in them to cool or hot wort. The heat draws out the plastic taste, hense the rinsing with boiling water. You could try a cup of white vineger in with the boiling water as I know that it is often used to prep water tanks etc as it tends to nuetralise odd tastes(but of course it itself needs rinsing.

Cheers

Hirns.

Yeh,im a bit suss on them,hence i am going to purchase a "better bottle" fermentor and siphon the juice out to a jerry can for bulkpriming. They seem popular overseas and i notice a few AHB sponsors sell them.

Makes yo want to brew in stainless or glass

Latest posts

Back