Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of a purpose built flanged plastic funnel / cylinder arrangement. I'd pay a modest amount for that.

I bought one of the 100Lt units, it made it to melbourne safe and now lives on my lounge floor :) when i get some time i am going to weld a frame to fit in the fridge. I need to work out the taps next, and how to attatch them.

I bought one of the 100Lt units, it made it to melbourne safe and now lives on my lounge floor :) when i get some time i am going to weld a frame to fit in the fridge. I need to work out the taps next, and how to attatch them.
Asher did the same a while back. Do a google search of the site & you'll find he posted some engineering type drawings of how he set up a racking arm and the bottom dump valve.

Thirsty Boy wrote a how-to on exactly what you are suggesting sera. There was also another person did similar recently.

The link in the first post is to a thread by Thirsty Boy http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=12015

This is the more recent one http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=34065

[edit] to add some links

Yeah i checked these out, however I didn't really like the idea of making silicone seals and such. I'd much rather prefer a solid gasket and a bolt down clamp system or something. just a bit of healthy paranoia :)

i sent Asher a pm but he must be busy as i didnt get much back. I will try google and work it out. Should be good once its working

Following this thread with a good deal of interest. I'm chalking up the years on my fermenters, and considering options. The better bottle looks all right, but if there were 30-40L conical tanks going I would prefer paying a little bit more to mod one of those...

would a fiber glass conical work or is that just a shit eye deer

would a fiber glass conical work or is that just a shit eye deer

The only question in my opinion would be 'is it food safe?'

Fibreglass has an awful smell to it, not sure if this would leach into your wort or not though... I would not be tempting it myself personally.

2c.

In aquaculture food grade fibreglass resins are available so I don't see why not. I personally would stick with plastic though.

you can get a food grade gel coat goes ont to the mold before the fiber glass so was hopping that would be ok thay use it when making some wine vats

i assume the plastic would be better in the case of knocks and bumps - and much lighter.

maybe better to work with also (when attatching taps etc)... and cheaper?

I have never worked on F.glass so i could be wrong on all the above

I am going to give it a go as I work in the frp industiry it will not cost me much to make a mould and product if it works great if it dont oh well I have lost a bit of time and mybe $50 bucks so we are not talking sheep stashions are we

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster... Read this thread awhile back and couldn't resist giving it a go.

View attachment 30768

This is one of their 40lt tanks with a 255mm screw in lid. The fittings are 1 1/4" reducing to a 3/4" ball valve (actual diameter of internal flow of the ball valve is around 12mm), all 316 S/S. Hose tails to come cos' I ordered the wrong size by mistake :blink: Slowly putting together bits and pieces (uni and work taking up a lot of time), but should be good to go into a 144lt bar fridge once I'm finished. Let me know what you guys think

Cheers.

Hi Leigh,

That's a nice simple, clean looking unit. How did it go fitting in the fridge?

cheers

Patrick.

Hello, Troy from Rota moulding here,
We are going ahead with a 35lt Cone bottom tank mould
it will be around 700 - 800mm high and 300mm in diameter

the lid idea we have is a screwed with oring 170mm opening to allow you to get in and clean it
How much pressure is the tank under in the process?

2 mount bolts down each side
And have calibration markings
Cost will be around the $150 mark, I hope
Regards
Troy

Post some pics Troy im sure there will be plenty of interest on here.

Hello, Troy from Rota moulding here,
We are going ahead with a 35lt Cone bottom tank mould
it will be around 700 - 800mm high and 300mm in diameter

the lid idea we have is a screwed with oring 170mm opening to allow you to get in and clean it

2 mount bolts down each side
And have calibration markings
Cost will be around the $150 mark, I hope
Regards
Troy

Gday Troy,

+1 on the pics and any idea of approx postage costs to the east coast ?

Cheers

Dave

Not supposed to be any pressure. The vessel is vented to let the CO2 escape.

Not sure how everyone feels about the bolts. Most that I have seen just set in a ring base, the ring being just smaller then the tank. US Plastics has a line that is popular over here. I may still have the link if you need it just PM me.

sounds good, be watching this one.

Latest posts

Back