Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested unless postage is a killer :)

Katzke dont some people with conicals carbonate in them? if so I would have though 200kpa / 30 PSI would be enough with a safety?

Katzke dont some people with conicals carbonate in them? if so I would have though 200kpa / 30 PSI would be enough with a safety?

I'd assume that if you're carbonating within a conical, you'd want to be serving from the same conical which would mean disconnects and diptubes being incorporated into the design? Which would increase the overall cost?

How much pressure is the tank under in the process?
Sounds great Troy.
Although fermentation is generally not done under presure, some may want to force-carb in the conical, and others may wish to force filter. Filtering typically is done under relatively low pressure (20-40kPa), however carbing requires 100-150kPa at serving temps (higher for rapid carbing. I don't think that this would be feasibly for a plastic vessel, however the 20-40kPA would certainly be a requirement for many brewers filtering.

Very keen to get one of these. Keep us posted.
Hutch.

Sounds great Troy.
Although fermentation is generally not done under presure, some may want to force-carb in the conical, and others may wish to force filter. Filtering typically is done under relatively low pressure (20-40kPa), however carbing requires 100-150kPa at serving temps (higher for rapid carbing. I don't think that this would be feasibly for a plastic vessel, however the 20-40kPA would certainly be a requirement for many brewers filtering.

Very keen to get one of these. Keep us posted.
Hutch.
Does anyone actually do this, force carb in the fermenter? I do it in the keg. If you're bottling then bottle condition will be the rule.

Does anyone actually do this, force carb in the fermenter? I do it in the keg. If you're bottling then bottle condition will be the rule.
I agree - most of us don't really have the means to carb in our cheap plastic fermenters, however maybe if it were possible to do it without risking damage to the vessel, then some would want to go this way. Can't see why this would be preferable to doing it in the keg, and avoiding excessive foaming when transferring carbed beer.

Then again, I presume that commercial brewers do it this way.

subscribed ;)

Would definately be interested in one of these Troy. Was thinking the other day I needed to upgrade my fermenters...

cone angle?? needs to be 30 degrees (from vertical) for the yeast to slip down it properly - less sorta works but it "should" be 30 degrees.

Mold is made and the first one was made today
IMG_3799.jpg

There will 2 sizes , this one that is around 15lt 500mm heigh x 300mm in diam
and a 35lt version that is 800mm heigh and same diam, the cone section will remain the same just the middle gets longer
we could make another longer section if people wish

the pointy bit on the cone allows us to tap a thread into it of what size people want, this has a 25mm thread in it now
no idea of price as yet but it will be around $100- $150 for the tanks I guess, it has the threaded inserts in the side for bolts and we intend to make a stand
more pics and info next week

Regards Troy

Mold is made and the first one was made today
IMG_3799.jpg

There will 2 sizes , this one that is around 15lt 500mm heigh x 300mm in diam
and a 35lt version that is 800mm heigh and same diam, the cone section will remain the same just the middle gets longer
we could make another longer section if people wish

the pointy bit on the cone allows us to tap a thread into it of what size people want, this has a 25mm thread in it now
no idea of price as yet but it will be around $100- $150 for the tanks I guess, it has the threaded inserts in the side for bolts and we intend to make a stand
more pics and info next week

Regards Troy

Cool, I'd be interested in something in the 50-60L range. 25mm thread should be ok, common and lots of matching fittings in SS.

nice! If you want anyone to give it a test :) i'll put my hand up..

Just tried to use their feedback form but on submit it required me to enter a username and password?? Anyway the gist of it was:

Hi there,

Been seeing some posts from a Mr Cone Bottom (aka Troy) on AHB. Just wondered if you have an update on the pricing and ETA of the plastic conicals?

Hope someone sees this.

Back