Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We now have these tanks available for sale
Special price for brewing - 15L $110 (RRP $143), 30L $140 (RRP $198)
The lid is seal with an o-ring and can handle 15 psi, the bottom is threaded to 25mm
15lt - Height - 490mm 30lt - Height - 770mm
sp15sp30cb.jpg

Looking good!
And now for my reality check - sigh - what's the freight cost?

hi all,

sorry dont want to piss on anybodys party but, why do i want one of these? ok i can suck off (he he) the spent yeast? but for the cost couldnt i filter or rack? (costs considered). i posted y'day (on another topic) half cut and maybe misundestood then, but i'm fully cut now, and dont understand how i would benefit from a conical ferementer @ home purposes. will happily be proven otherwise, any suggestions.

cheers
matt

looks pretty cool. I'd consider one of those 30L ones. How much would freight to Melb be?

hi all,

sorry dont want to piss on anybodys party but, why do i want one of these? ok i can suck off (he he) the spent yeast? but for the cost couldnt i filter or rack? (costs considered). i posted y'day (on another topic) half cut and maybe misundestood then, but i'm fully cut now, and dont understand how i would benefit from a conical ferementer @ home purposes. will happily be proven otherwise, any suggestions.

cheers
matt
because they look cool :p

hi all,

cheers
matt

Main advantage is because you don't have to bother racking to secondary, the whole lot is done in the one fermented. Thats one less vessel to sanitise, siphon to, clean, etc. You can culture some yeast for the next brew, and its as easy as opening a tap. Also because its fun seeing all that yeast oozing out the bottom valve! I made one of these a while back (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34065), and got three brews out of before the silicon start to give way. I loved it, theres something much nicer about it, and once its fermenting you can just let it be until youre ready to rack to the kegs (with a few yeast dumps in between).

Main advantage is because you don't have to bother racking to secondary, the whole lot is done in the one fermented. That's one less vessel to sanitise, siphon to, clean, etc. You can culture some yeast for the next brew, and it's as easy as opening a tap. Also because it's fun seeing all that yeast oozing out the bottom valve! I made one of these a while back (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34065), and got three brews out of before the silicon start to give way. I loved it, there's something much nicer about it, and once its fermenting you can just let it be until you're ready to rack to the kegs (with a few yeast dumps in between).

yeah, but (i succesfully) dont rack to a secondary

cheers
matt

The main cone bit is at 90 deg acute angle (45deg)
freight door to door via TNT is $40 to Melbourne Metro
Regards
Troy

We now have these tanks available for sale
Special price for brewing - 15L $110 (RRP $143), 30L $140 (RRP $198)
The lid is seal with an o-ring and can handle 15 psi, the bottom is threaded to 25mm
15lt - Height - 490mm 30lt - Height - 770mm
sp15sp30cb.jpg

Do these have threaded hole to attached a racking valve around half way up the cone? Thats a pretty critical component!

no there is no holes beside the lid or 25mm outlet.
however we can drill and tap anywhere in the side wall to provide and outlet with sufficient thread to use

yes, but how will this improve my fermentation when i spend the extra $120. i know these conical ferementers will cost more to make so therefore more to sell, but what are the advantages?

cheers
matt

no there is no holes beside the lid or 25mm outlet.
however we can drill and tap anywhere in the side wall to provide and outlet with sufficient thread to use

Cheers Troy. If you have a look on the web, all conical fermenters have a racking valve attached between 1/3 to half way up the edge of the cone, this allows clear beer to be removed from the fermenter when the time comes to kegging/bottling, away from any trub left in the bottom of the cone. Normally this would be a much smaller valve, around 1/2".
If you ever make a V2, I recommend having a threaded section on the side, and increading the slop to 60C (this is another standard for conical fermenters)

Cheers.

Cheers Troy. If you have a look on the web, all conical fermenters have a racking valve attached between 1/3 to half way up the edge of the cone, this allows clear beer to be removed from the fermenter when the time comes to kegging/bottling, away from any trub left in the bottom of the cone. Normally this would be a much smaller valve, around 1/2".
If you ever make a V2, I recommend having a threaded section on the side, and increading the slop to 60C (this is another standard for conical fermenters)

Cheers.

umm, yeah but, but how will this improve my fermentation when i spend the extra $120. i know these conical ferementers will cost more to make so therefore more to sell, but what are the advantages?

cheers
matt

The advantage is there if you believe that beer needs to be separated from yeast as part of the process. If you don't think it does, then the advantage of a general conical fermenter is small. In the case of these particular fermenters though - considering they are pressurisable to 15psi, that opens up the possibility of their use as a unitank for lager beers at least, and it certainly makes them viable for transfers and filtering via C02 pressure.

I usually dont rack to secondary - but thats mainly because I dont think the exposure to oxygen and potential infection risk, is paid back by the benefits... in a conical I probably would drop the yeast at some point because doing so presents no downside, and it would perhaps help me to get a smoother filter run when I am transferring to keg.

The advantage is there if you believe that beer needs to be separated from yeast as part of the process. If you don't think it does, then the advantage of a general conical fermenter is small. In the case of these particular fermenters though - considering they are pressurisable to 15psi, that opens up the possibility of their use as a unitank for lager beers at least, and it certainly makes them viable for transfers and filtering via C02 pressure.

I usually dont rack to secondary - but thats mainly because I dont think the exposure to oxygen and potential infection risk, is paid back by the benefits... in a conical I probably would drop the yeast at some point because doing so presents no downside, and it would perhaps help me to get a smoother filter run when I am transferring to keg.

ok, thanks TB - someone

lol, ignore

Latest posts

Back