Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just further proof of suckers buying crap that isn't needed. ffs they look like water cooler towers.
Just more proof that novices should keep their mouths shut. I assume this guy's a known troll?

We now have these tanks available for sale
Special price for brewing - 15L $110 (RRP $143), 30L $140 (RRP $198)
The lid is seal with an o-ring and can handle 15 psi, the bottom is threaded to 25mm
15lt - Height - 490mm 30lt - Height - 770mm
sp15sp30cb.jpg

G'day MCB,

a couple of questions, whats the wall thickness of these ?

is the 'brewers' deal of $140 still current ?

whats the postage to Qld 4670 ?

cheers

Dave

My 2 cents for what its worth, these fermenters should have had some basic proven conical design factors included. The hight to width ratio is way out on the larger one (too narrow), it will take forever for the yeast to drop in that one. They may have been restricted by the manufacturing process to make them wider?
The smaller one is a better ratio but way to small to be any thing other than a yeast propagation unit.
GB

Gryphon Brewing
Can you do me a favour and check if the height width ratio is good for the 40 litre one?

Code SP40CB
Description 40 Litre Cone Bottom Tank
Dry Weight 4.5kg
Height 500mm
Width 460mm
Length Diam
Lid Size 255mm

seems to have slightly less angled bottom bits as well

Gryphon Brewing
Can you do me a favour and check if the height width ratio is good for the 40 litre one?

Code SP40CB
Description 40 Litre Cone Bottom Tank
Dry Weight 4.5kg
Height 500mm
Width 460mm
Length Diam
Lid Size 255mm

seems to have slightly less angled bottom bits as well
There is some dispute about the ideal ratio but most favoured wort to diameter ratio is 1:1 to 1:1.5 , this is the cylinder part excluding the lower cone section so going on that, the example you have shown is within this range. I couldnt find any cone angle on the sp40cb but between 60 to 70 degree is the norm for fermentors and a total wort height (not fermentor height ) including the cone of 1:2.
Hope this helps.
GB

Thanks GB, much appreciated
In previous posts 45 degrees was quoted for the other tanks, this one just seems to be a little stubbier in pics, but i shall assume 45 degrees.
Ill fire off an email to them tomorrow to see what rating the unit has for degredation and food handling rating if available.

Foles
Not sure if it is "the Way" but with possibility of fitted stand and fitting into a large fridge cabinet and a fair bit cheaper than the cheapest stainless (OMG the BRew Pr0n) i could find, and they (blingtastic lovely stainless) are rekoned to be the shiz (if created as per GB's figures), ill ask and see. Worst case is they say its not food safe and that will be that.

Ok got a reply back from Troy at Rota Moulding

"Tank is made from Food Grade material (specs sheet attached)
Tapping the tank is free of charge
Stand to suit the tank is $110"

Whilst i understand that the angle at the bottom of the tank is not optimum, it could still be an interesting test to see what it actually does under fermentation conditions.

Before i take that step, need to get the owner of the house to agree to a fermentation room setup with an aircon and freezer panel ;)

View attachment Vanglobe_11UV_2009.pdf

hi all,

sorry dont want to piss on anybodys party but, why do i want one of these? ok i can suck off (he he) the spent yeast? but for the cost couldnt i filter or rack? (costs considered). i posted y'day (on another topic) half cut and maybe misundestood then, but i'm fully cut now, and dont understand how i would benefit from a conical ferementer @ home purposes. will happily be proven otherwise, any suggestions.

cheers
matt
i know not much of an issue with ale drinkers but for us lager drinkers the minimal contact of the yeast to the surface reduces added flavors that are not wanted for some beers also also primary secondary fermentation i admit its more effective in larger scale but im sold now im seeing how much im up for lol

by the way has anybody actually brought one if i wasn't just reduced to 15 to 20 hours a week i would just order it and test but i just cant afford the risk of a none working unit i would grab it straight away if it was proven but because of the ratios im a bit wary of it sorry cone guy

Is there going to be a problem if a small ferment volume is put in a large conical?

I see the rotamoulding folks have a 60L for $308 and the 150L is $396
Would a 25L brew in the 60L lead to problems?
Likewise a 60L brew dumped in the 150L conical?

Ok got a reply back from Troy at Rota Moulding

"Tank is made from Food Grade material (specs sheet attached)
Tapping the tank is free of charge
Stand to suit the tank is $110"

Whilst i understand that the angle at the bottom of the tank is not optimum, it could still be an interesting test to see what it actually does under fermentation conditions.

Before i take that step, need to get the owner of the house to agree to a fermentation room setup with an aircon and freezer panel ;)

I've been following this thread for a while and have some experience in industry with polymer design, but not specifically polyethylene. HDPE - what our standard fermenters are made form are safe for food use AND for alcohol. I notice in the specs attached to your post while it says FDA approved, it does also state SOME RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY - and mentions nothing about acids/ alkalis or alcohols...

Before jumping in I'd be wary until this was clarified...

Latest posts

Back