Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advantage is there if you believe that beer needs to be separated from yeast as part of the process. If you don't think it does, then the advantage of a general conical fermenter is small. In the case of these particular fermenters though - considering they are pressurisable to 15psi, that opens up the possibility of their use as a unitank for lager beers at least, and it certainly makes them viable for transfers and filtering via C02 pressure.

I usually dont rack to secondary - but thats mainly because I dont think the exposure to oxygen and potential infection risk, is paid back by the benefits... in a conical I probably would drop the yeast at some point because doing so presents no downside, and it would perhaps help me to get a smoother filter run when I am transferring to keg.

ok, thanks TB, finally someone has given some sort of comment, thought it might come from the person plugging the product but anyway. so they may be of use for lager users and thats probably advantageous to them which is great. for ale brewers like me, perhaps dont worry??

cheers
matt

ok, thanks TB, finally someone has given some sort of comment, thought it might come from the person plugging the product but anyway. so they may be of use for lager users and thats probably advantageous to them which is great. for ale brewers like me, perhaps dont worry??

cheers
matt

oh ok, thanks.you guys who are pitching this are offering no advice???

thanks
matt

How pissed are you, Matt!

a fair bit :icon_cheers: . but i'm still waiting for confirmation as to why i want one of these. if i'm missing something then great, i learn something new. but if not would i be wasting my money??

cheers
matt

If you directed your eyes to the top of the page you would see that the person is not on the forum right now, so it doesn't matter how many times you ask, he isn't reading this thread right now.

a fair bit :icon_cheers: . but i'm still waiting for confirmation as to why i want one of these. if i'm missing something then great, i learn something new. but if not would i be wasting my money??

cheers
matt

I do like the idea of being able to take yeast during ferment without having to take the lid off. They do look cool also :icon_cheers:

If you directed your eyes to the top of the page you would see that the person is not on the forum right now, so it doesn't matter how many times you ask, he isn't reading this thread right now.

i'm not necessarily asking the question of the plugger (however my first post was within a half an hour of the pluggers post, must have just missed him). however i was also requesting eveyones experiences, anything to add on the topic peas and corn??

matt

i'm not necessarily asking the question of the plugger (however my first post was within a half an hour of the pluggers post, must have just missed him). however i was also requesting eveyones experiences, anything to add on the topic peas and corn??

matt

Matt

I dont think he is a plugger, a product was asked for in the first place and then he took the initiative to make the product.

A conical fermenter allows the brewer to remove cold break and settled yeast from the bottom valve at will. Although it is not an absolute requirement of beer production it is said to help the clean flavor of lagers and to help basically rack a beer from primary to secondary without moving the actual volume. The removal of yeast also allow the vessel to be used for conditioning without leaving the beer on the yeast cake. Clearer beer at the end of the day by removing anything that settles out.

You need to remember the product is mimicking the commercial setting and people like to be able to do what the big boys are doing although at a fraction of the cost ($140 for plastic $1000 for SS). If you dont know how conicals can benefit your brewing do some research, if you just dont want to spend the extra $$ dont. I use just the plain old plastic fermenters with great results but if i had a conical it would allow me to rack or separate or save some yeast. Think about it the big boys use a conical bottom for a reason.

Kleiny

What Kleiny said ;)

Around the corner from where I work is a business dealing in all sorts of stuff (manual handling, whatever that is :blink: )

I bought 2 30L screw top 'drums' with a seal for the lid, a thread to put a tap and moulded into the side, markings from 1-30L. Was most impressed with my find as they are only $16 each. All I have to do is drill a small hole in the lid for a grommet and airlock.

Really cheap and exactly what I need, for now.

If my brewing was at the stage that required it, I'd have one of the 30l conicals in a flash. They look great, are a fraction of the cost of stainless and they will improve my beer.

Perhaps most importantly, they appeal to my beer geek side. For now I will marvel at my $16 beauties, but I can guarantee I'll own a conical in the not-too-distant future.

oh, and no affliiations etc etc

A conical fermenter allows the brewer to remove cold break and settled yeast from the bottom valve at will. Although it is not an absolute requirement of beer production it is said to help the clean flavor of lagers and to help basically rack a beer from primary to secondary without moving the actual volume. The removal of yeast also allow the vessel to be used for conditioning without leaving the beer on the yeast cake. Clearer beer at the end of the day by removing anything that settles out.

Kleiny

All of this really only makes it easier to harvest yeast for reuse. And they look cool.

You would have to spend a lot of $ on conicals if you were going to leave your beer in them to age. I had 3 beers going last week, all ales. I can only imagine how many a dedicated lager brewer would need if they were going to only use them because it made it easy to rack with out moving the beer.

I do not use a conical fermentor so am only going on what I have been told by those that do. I do not recall hearing of anyone that has more then one. Maybe 2 but I sure do not remember anyone having 3 or more for the purpose of leaving their beer in them to age for weeks. I am sure with the numbers of home brewers out there someone does. There are also people out there that own their own jet instead of renting a seat like most of us do.

So if you harvest yeast or feel the need to rack off the yeast as soon as possible then get one.

All of this really only makes it easier to harvest yeast for reuse. And they look cool.
Actually if you have a CFC or plate chiller it would also be very useful to remove the cold break after it has settled.
I'll be interested to see how they go when people start using them, however the cost and logistics (size/shape would be more difficult to manage/maintain) means it has not yet made it to the top of my 'wish list'.

hi all,

thanks for the responses. and yes i was pissed and apologise for prattling on like a twit and hope i didnt offend anyone related to these fermenters. what i was trying to get at,in my own stupid inebriated way, was what are the benefits - which have since been explained and a clearer head can now absorb the info B) . anyway note to self - dont post while pissed (or at least while shitfaced anyway :D )

cheers
matt

p.s. to the people who made these congrats on what looks like a top replication of a conical fermenter

dont post while pissed (or at least while shitfaced anyway :D )

Pfft... most of the threads on here get good when people post pissed. Although hitting the 'Add Reply' button repeatedly probably doesn't do much for the thread. :D

So in summary, the benefit of a conical is to remove the yeast and trub from the beer after primary fermentation easily. It means you don't need to rack t a secondary vessel, possibly exposing the beer to infection. If you don't put your beer in a secondary fermenter, you probably won't see a benefit, but there are people who do.

This product looks great, and considering a regular fermenter is $30-50, it puts a conical in the reach of regular tight-arse homebrewers.

hi all,

thanks for the responses. and yes i was pissed and apologise for prattling on like a twit and hope i didnt offend anyone related to these fermenters. what i was trying to get at,in my own stupid inebriated way, was what are the benefits - which have since been explained and a clearer head can now absorb the info B) . anyway note to self - dont post while pissed (or at least while shitfaced anyway :D )

cheers
matt

p.s. to the people who made these congrats on what looks like a top replication of a conical fermenter
I know this argument has been resolved, but I had a look at the website, and these guys aren't home brew suppliers. They do a shitload of plastic containers and have had a go at applying their products to some other markets.

Good on em, I say. I've been drooling at the thought of a conical for a while now, but can't justify the $700-1000 for one. These seem like a great budget option for those who want to add a touch of 'pro' to their brewing (me).

hi all,

cheers
matt

Matt, it's good to see you are now absorbing the information clearly. Don't feel bad about the inebriated posting; there was a very funny thread on this board recently and I suspect the contributors were all well past shit-faced. Virtually all the posts were deleted as quick as they were posted. I guess not everyone thought it was humorous.

just further proof of suckers buying crap that isn't needed. ffs they look like water cooler towers.

Matt, it's good to see you are now absorbing the information clearly. Don't feel bad about the inebriated posting; there was a very funny thread on this board recently and I suspect the contributors were all well past shit-faced. Virtually all the posts were deleted as quick as they were posted. I guess not everyone thought it was humorous.

lol, i suspect i know the one your talking about. your right it did seem to disapear all of a sudden. anyway lesson learnt on my behalf :D .

cheers
matt

Latest posts

Back