Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am Troy Coulthard - Sales Manager of Rota Moulding WA
I was looking at my web page statistics and came across this site.
If there is any information I can provide or you have any idea's for me, I am all ears
I was always was under the impression that you needed a totally sealed tank for brewing (while I drink Beer, I don't understand the process)
While our cone bottoms do have a breathable lid at the point of sale, the can be manufactured without a lid

Regards
Troy

Hi Troy,

Make them cheaper!! :p

I thought the price was good. Cheers Troy. I bought one off you yesterday . Cant wait to get back to Aust to use it.

Rich

hi Troy and wellcome, one of the mods will put you in as a retailer ..

its great too see a company taking the right steps too satisfy its potential customers..

Good job..

cheers

If there is any information I can provide or you have any idea's for me, I am all ears
I was always was under the impression that you needed a totally sealed tank for brewing (while I drink Beer, I don't understand the process)
While our cone bottoms do have a breathable lid at the point of sale, the can be manufactured without a lid

Regards
Troy

Well seeing the Sales Manager of Rota Moulding is all ears maybe a bulk buy could become a viable option?

For those who are using one of Rota Moulding's conicals what modification was needed to get it ready for brewing?

Pok

Well seeing the Sales Manager of Rota Moulding is all ears maybe a bulk buy could become a viable option?

For those who are using one of Rota Moulding's conicals what modification was needed to get it ready for brewing?

Pok

Would it be better to see if we could get a side racking port in the design and potentially a 90deg bend for the bottom dumb valve?

Or maybe its just easy to stick with the current design and fit after-market mods

I guess Asher would be best to ask seeing as he has modded one already.

Any mods you'd like to see on the stock model Asher?

Q

Asher has a beauty here (post 18) - but I don't think he had to do much modification, other than taps.

PM him, he's always happy to give advice.

I agree with the "make em cheaper comment" particularly when you see the price in the USA. For example in the US a 15gallon costs $70 while your 60l is $290.
checkout http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.a...oduct%5Fid=3863
(Sorry the insert link button wasn't showing when I posted this so copy & paste into your browser)

A threaded port to which standard valves / fittings screw into on the base of the cone would be of great benefit. As would a rotating racking port on the side of the cone.

My ideal would be a jacketed setup ie a vessel inside a vessle so it could be insulated and have heating / cooling liquid pumped around the jacket - just like a commercial cycloconical :)

A special AHB deal or bulk buy would be interesting.

What's so good about a conical that you cant do in a normal fermenter.

Rook

My understanding is that the main advantage is that you can dump yeast and so then Cold Conditioning in the same vessel without racking etc.

Rook

Very simple to harvest your yeast and they look great, but apart from that, I do not think there is much else?

Rook

- Cold break separation prior to pitching if you're using a counterflow or plate chiller
- Cleaner yeast collection (can dump trub first, collecting the layer you want)
- Trub removal before conditioning without racking
- Dry hop, fruit, vegetable or spice removal without racking

- Cold break separation prior to pitching if you're using a counterflow or plate chiller
- Cleaner yeast collection (can dump trub first, collecting the layer you want)
- Trub removal before conditioning without racking
- Dry hop, fruit, vegetable or spice removal without racking

So you pretty much just open the bottom tap and drain out the trub and yeast at the appropriate times? Don't you still get some sticking to the bottom?
Anyone know any good links for more info?

As others have said, less handling of the beer by the brewer. That means less chance of infection and less chance of aeration. No siphoning is a BIG advantage. Just put your keg under the conical, open the valve and let it go (attach a hose too of course).

For harvesting yeast, I've read in a few different places that a 60 degree cone is optimal. To harvest yeast, simply sanitise the bottom port, put a sterilised vessel under it, and open the valve a bit. To remove the yeast from the vessel, do the same thing until beer starts to come out. You have to close & open the valve quite a few times to allow the yeast to fall down into the bottom, but it works great.

Besides, conicals are what almost every commercial brewery use, so they must have an advantage.

Regards
Troy
G'day Troy, and thanks for showing an interest in us as potential customers.

One of the cone-bottom tanks you supply (SP100CBM) seems an ideal width for most home-brewers, as it's narrow enough to easily fit in a standard fridge (as Asher has quite successfully shown above). The only problem with this size that I see is that it's just too tall for most brewers (not many of us will ever need ~100Ltrs capacity!).

So it seems to me that there would be significant interest in a tank of say 40-60Ltrs capacity, with the same width (39cm), making it roughly 60 - 70cms tall.
I'm keen to hear what others think of this size, as it would certainly be less expensive.

Cheers,
Hutch.

As others have said, less handling of the beer by the brewer. That means less chance of infection and less chance of aeration. No siphoning is a BIG advantage. Just put your keg under the conical, open the valve and let it go (attach a hose too of course).

For harvesting yeast, I've read in a few different places that a 60 degree cone is optimal. To harvest yeast, simply sanitise the bottom port, put a sterilised vessel under it, and open the valve a bit. To remove the yeast from the vessel, do the same thing until beer starts to come out. You have to close & open the valve quite a few times to allow the yeast to fall down into the bottom, but it works great.

Besides, conicals are what almost every commercial brewery use, so they must have an advantage.

So, thinking outside the square, if we bunged up the standard fermenter outlet and put a new one in the base of our fermenter, apart from a stand to sit the fermenter on (read milk crate with a few new holes in it) we should in theory make a fermenter that will allow us to drain our yeast just like a conical ?

So, thinking outside the square, if we bunged up the standard fermenter outlet and put a new one in the base of our fermenter, apart from a stand to sit the fermenter on (read milk crate with a few new holes in it) we should in theory make a fermenter that will allow us to drain our yeast just like a conical ?

It's not angled though. The yeast/trub won't magically feed to the centre hole, that is why the 60 degree angle is important as this funnels the majority of sediment towards the dump pipe.
The funneled bit also is advantageous as you typically have a racking port above it, which allows the brewer to draw off extra clear brew, while losing less volume of liquid underneath it because it is funneled. Does this make sense? I think I have expressed it extremely clumsily.. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back