Plastic Conical Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill be providing pricing to oz distributors once we have product finalised, would not be viable to price ones and twos to end users with shipping factored in. I will put a few more pics up tonight too.

Cheers

TheJones said:
Fair call Les. Personally I think there are tiers in the market which allow this type of product, as Im sure you and many others would agree. My preference would be to ferment in SS if I could justify the spend, and Im sure one day I will justify it....somehow. We have fermented quite a few batches in these things, and I understand your concerns re flavour retention, however a bloody good soak goes a long way to keeping them pristine. Cheers Les, your closing comment made me chuckle ;)
I agree about tiers - it'll be a while until we can go to stainless, so it's great to be able to go to conical now.
Les has a point, the standard plastic 30Ls to seem to pick up an aroma, not sure if that effects the beer taste though?
Still, every few brews I soak them with "klear klenz" (chlorine based I think) for 24h, then "Optimum 2" (pink stuff, no idea what it is) for another few days. They come up with a TOTALLY neutral smell, zero hint of beerishness.
Got the cleaners from a dairy farmer.

Have attached a few more pictures showing some detail. Bare in mind these are beta units, hence additional brass inserts and leg holes. Cheers

photo 1 (3).JPG

photo 2 (3).JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

I'd be very interested in some 60's if the price is right. Maybe able to give us a ball park price? Worst case scenario RRP?

Maybe a bulk buy? We could probably get enough interest for a few pallets full :)

catcher said:
I'd be very interested in some 60's if the price is right. Maybe able to give us a ball park price? Worst case scenario RRP?

Maybe a bulk buy? We could probably get enough interest for a few pallets full :)
That'd be the way to go Aussies - bulk-buy a pallet or two now, so TheJones has some more seed-money to play with?
It's a really nice plastic conical molding - one of you should nip over for a weekend in NZ, as touching-is-believing!

catcher said:

photo 2 shows a worry of mine - a nice wide 1 & 1/4 ballvalve, but this is to drop out yeast and hop sludge - it's gonna catch on that outside thread no?

The Lords of Diacetyl said:
photo 2 shows a worry of mine - a nice wide 1 & 1/4 ballvalve, but this is to drop out yeast and hop sludge - it's gonna catch on that outside thread no?
Absolutely, but it's nothing you care to keep. Trub goes to the drain.

So, dump and hose out. It never has to come in contact with recovered yeast. Clean it well between batches, or put a stainless barb fitting and hose on it and direct the flow into a bucket.

RDWHAHB

Les the Weizguy said:
Absolutely, but it's nothing you care to keep. Trub goes to the drain.

So, dump and hose out. It never has to come in contact with recovered yeast. Clean it well between batches, or put a stainless barb fitting and hose on it and direct the flow into a bucket.

RDWHAHB
I agree - I will hose down *between* brews.
My point is whilst brewing, I like to keep the inside of the fermenter-fridge clean. Not with sticky-yeast left behind.
The exposed thread just means a bit extra cleaning after opening the 1 & 1/4 bottom valve.

The Lords of Diacetyl said:
I agree - I will hose down *between* brews.
My point is whilst brewing, I like to keep the inside of the fermenter-fridge clean. Not with sticky-yeast left behind.
The exposed thread just means a bit extra cleaning after opening the 1 & 1/4 bottom valve.
Could try bushing the valve down to a 1/2" pipe outlet for clearing trub or yeast, then unscrew and sanitize.

I keep a spray bottle of no-rinse sanitiser at hand and spray the inside of the ball valves before and after dumping yeast/sampling, keeps it clean for harvesting too. Just means a small mess to mop up off the floor of the fridge. Pretty common practice for most. Cheers

Well after getting spamed for not visiting AHB , I'll post here ..

I am sure an Australian Company did these a few years back , and they look the same, except the lid
design.. Think they were in Western Australia , and maybe Rotomold ?? or some suce thing ..
Someone here should remember ... They did a bit of work on getting it right ,, might be better too
suport our own companys so they can keep paying the kiwi work force that has migrated over here..

cheers

We are well aware of the ones you are talking about. These have a 45deg cone, no provision for a sampling valve and were not designed for brewing. They also do not come complete ready for brewing and are horrendously expensive to boot. Probably not the right forum to air your feelings over migrants either..

Cheers!

FNQ Bunyip said:
Well after getting spamed for not visiting AHB , I'll post here ..

I am sure an Australian Company did these a few years back , and they look the same, except the lid
design.. Think they were in Western Australia , and maybe Rotomold ?? or some suce thing ..
Someone here should remember ... They did a bit of work on getting it right ,, might be better too
suport our own companys so they can keep paying the kiwi work force that has migrated over here..

cheers
That would be Rotamoulding, but their units don't have dump valves
They also only have volume markers every 5 litres, you have to drill and install the valves yourself and the legs are sold seperately (FOR $120!!!)
And the Rotamoulding unit had a small screw on lid, as opposed to the OP's large clamp down lid
Nothin wrong with a coupla cuzzies workin over here, eh bru...

*edit* And as TheJones says, they're rediculously overpriced for a pretty basic rotomoulded tank

Its a bit hard to do a price comparison when no-one will tell us how much these are likely to cost - even a ball park figure would be nice.

sp0rk said:
That would be Rotamoulding, but their units don't have dump valves
They also only have volume markers every 5 litres, you have to drill and install the valves yourself and the legs are sold seperately (FOR $120!!!)
And the Rotamoulding unit had a small screw on lid, as opposed to the OP's large clamp down lid
Nothin wrong with a coupla cuzzies workin over here, eh bru...

*edit* And as TheJones says, they're rediculously overpriced for a pretty basic rotomoulded tank
A couple! You've obviously never been the Sydney, Gold Coast or any mine anywhere in OZ :huh:

Would also like to see a ballpark price when u can get around to it.

Sorry Paul, firstly I didnt think blatant selling was allowed on the forums? Might be wrong, but that was my impression based on looking at a few other posts? My intent was to generate interest, get feedback and hopefully find a few contacts. Secondly, I dont intend to sell these direct as I mentioned earlier shipping ones and twos will end up blowing out the price, it is far more logical for me to secure distributors in Aus and let them add suitable margin thereby hopefully delivering a cost effective product to your shores. I have already fielded a number of enquiries from distributors and am happy to give indicative/ballpark pricing to genuine distributors that have either solid distribution or sales channels or are prepared to buy an appropriate number of units such that they might look at establishing some form of distribution. Sorry, I just would rather not go throwing prices around and piss off any potential partners.

Thanks

No worries Jonesy.... I understand.

I just think everyone is a bit excited about a potentially affordable conical.

shaunous said:
A couple! You've obviously never been the Sydney, Gold Coast or any mine anywhere in OZ :huh:
All the kiwis I've met have been very nice people, especially in large groups when they're intimidating me to say so...

people crap on about the kiwis here I went to New Zealand and they were everywhere.

Latest posts

Back