Plastic Conical Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJones

Reaction score
Hi All,

just thought I would post a thread about some conicals I have designed and manufactured here in NZ and gauge interest from accross the ditch. See the attached Pics. We did a beta run of 20 units and have had good feedback from the brewers so will be looking to implement a few things then proceed with production. They are designed for 30 or 60L batches max (35 and 70L volume), and come with all hardware including ball valves. The first ones came with 1-1/4 and 1/2" valves but we will be going down to a 1" valve in the bottom and supplying stainless instead of zinc plated brass. Lids and latches are stainless.

Be great to hear your thoughts, and any questions fire away. Havent sussed pricing yet as am just waiting on some finalised pricing from suppliers. I will throw some better pics up also, just realised I havent yet taken any good ones..

Also any wholesale importers in Aussie who are keen please feel free to make contact

Cheers, Nick

[email protected]

photo.JPG

Hi Nick,

Im sure one of the mods will be in touch regarding retailer status but just wondering does the 30L Fermenter fit inside a 250L fridge.

are they pressure rated? and if so tested to what pressure?

Ok, yeah shit didnt think of that, a bit too blatant on the advertising, woops, happy to pay for a plug..

Both are 360 diameter bodies, and the legs are 1" ss box section. Heights are 780 and 1130mm respectively without an airlock. They arent pressure rated, however can get a few psi in for pushing beer, we may look at changing the lid design to accomodate carbonation in vessel, the plastic will easily handle it. As mentioned there are a few things we may change..

Regarding price, this will depend on how we can get them into Aus. If I send them one by one we are wasting our time. I still have to finalise my numbers but they are looking pretty competitive provided import duties and freight dont kill it. I can come back to you all later on this once I have all my ducks in a row..

Cheers

Not sure if this is a dumb question/observation or not (I know nothing about conicals)...

The legs look like they are screwed/bolted to the fermenter. Does this mean there is a screw/bolt head inside the fermenter that could harbour dirt and caused infection?

GrumpyPaul said:
Not sure if this is a dumb question/observation or not (I know nothing about conicals)...

The legs look like they are screwed/bolted to the fermenter. Does this mean there is a screw/bolt head inside the fermenter that could harbour dirt and caused infection?
I assume it will be a blind thread, IE not open inside.
Nev

There are brass captive nuts in-moulded which the plastic flows over on the inside. The inside is super smooth.

Thanks for the question. Nick

hi
My friend got us one of the trial-run 70 litre fermenters.
But no, we don’t know the manufacturer so have nothing to gain by praising - I’ll be sure and point out if anything goes wrong with the test brews!
It’s a really great molding. Very sturdy slick plastic, very smooth inside and crisply finished around outlets. This is pictured without the ballvalves and blowoff tube.
My main point here is about size: the 70l fits perfectly into a Fisher & Pykel Frigidaire slim upright 260 litre fridge. Here in NZ they’ve been making them for decades, we got these two real cheap second-hand. Because as well they hold two of these standard 30l's.
And yes I’m in the process of building a good stout shelf, because it is gonna weigh a fair bit full!
We’ll be situating the fridge out near the brew kettle, and pump straight into the fermenter after chilling the brew, and keg/bottle straight out of it.
Filling three corny kegs, or seven crates of 750s from a single ferment is a pretty great idea, plus of course the ability to drop out yeast and dry hops.
Ten days until first trial brew!

70L_conical_260L_fridge_sm.jpg

Thanks all, sorry post was suspended until I sorted my sponsorship status. All g now.

I'd be in for a 30 for sure (and maybe even a 70 if SWMBO can be swindled) if someone decides to start importing them

Those tanks look awesome, and I would have been interested a few years or even last year.

Since then I am becoming aware of flavours retained in the plastic and am looking to a stainless fermentation vessel now.
Probably not looking at a conical first, but maybe one day.

Apologies for lowering the enthusiam on this thread. Your enthusiasm is still justified, but I'd like to move on from plastic, although I'll still follow this thread.

Les

Fair call Les. Personally I think there are tiers in the market which allow this type of product, as Im sure you and many others would agree. My preference would be to ferment in SS if I could justify the spend, and Im sure one day I will justify it....somehow. We have fermented quite a few batches in these things, and I understand your concerns re flavour retention, however a bloody good soak goes a long way to keeping them pristine. Cheers Les, your closing comment made me chuckle ;)

I'd be interested in a 30 litre, price dependant of course.

Latest posts

Back