Pitched To High

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floody_lager

Reaction score
I stupidly didnt check my temp and pitched the yeast at 35 degrees. it then went straight into the fridge. now 3 hours later, its still only at 25.
would the yeast survive or have i killed my brew.

oh yea, its just a coopers lager with kit yeast and 1 kg be1.
i just wanted a quickie lol

should be fine, wait until early morning and it'll start bubbling.

Nothing wrong with a quickie as long as some times you take the time to smell the roses ;)

The yeast is probably fine due to you dumping the unit in the fridge fast, continual 35* temps would have stuffed it, but it's a waiting game if fermentation starts you will probably be ok as fermentation is still in the early stages.... if it doesn't start the yeast is dead (which is ok) and you will need to re-pitch another yeast.
Just wait and see.

you might have killed some but there will be survivors
it will just take a bit longer to get started....

but you could always add more yeast at a lower temp if you still have a pack lying around...

cool. wat can i expect from this beer? im not expecting alot, but just wanted a quick one. its only my 2nd brew. my first was a euro lager with goldings hops. been in the bottle 4 weeks. still a tad flat but tastes great

Pitching high generally isn't a problem for kits. The yeast is quite tolerant.

Don't get too stressed out by the instruction list with the kit. They make it sound as if it's life or death to pitch and seal the fermenter for fear of infection. It not nearly as serious as the bold print makes it feel.

Should come out OK. Love to hear how you go.

Cheers - Fermented.

cool. wat can i expect from this beer? im not expecting alot, but just wanted a quick one. its only my 2nd brew. my first was a euro lager with goldings hops. been in the bottle 4 weeks. still a tad flat but tastes great

Coopers larger with the kit yeast is not a bad drop as far as the supermarket kit goes. It does well with little bottle aging a month to two does it well. Just remember it is not a true larger yeast. I have a mate that brews only Coopers Larger (well actually his wife brews it, he just carries the bottles to the shed :lol: ). They do a run of around 1400 stubbies over a couple of months then put the fermenters away until that lot runs out. By the time its aged you would hardly pick it out from a XXXX Gold.

Cheers
Gavo.

thanks for the help fellas. it seems to be doing well. krausen has formed so is fermenting ok. ill take a reading tomorrow prob.
the sg was 1034. does that seem a little low

thanks for the help fellas. it seems to be doing well. krausen has formed so is fermenting ok. ill take a reading tomorrow prob.
the sg was 1034. does that seem a little low

The low SG would probably be due to the higher starting temp - the higher temperature will force the hydrometer to sit higher in the liquid than it would at if the wort was at a lower temperature (ie the ideal low 20 degrees that you would have liked to begin with). I would say that the final alcohol content of your brew should be about that of a normal full strength beer based on the ingredients you've used. I'm sure someone else could give you some temperature corrections to apply if you were really keen to find out the true alcohol content of your beer. I'd personally just be happy to have something tasty to knock back in a few weeks time ;) :beerbang:

Hey Buddy,

As you now know the yeast won't die at the temperature you pitched.. Matter of fact the yeast won't die until you get closer to 50 degrees, having said that the yeast gets stressed at higher temperatures and due to this you can probably expect a few funky flavors in your brew..

My advice to you with this brew would be to be patient and leave it in the primary fermenter for at least 3 weeks so that the yeast has a chance to clean up after itslef and condition the beer.

Let us know how it turns out..

Well i took a sample yesterday (3 days fermenting) and it was at 1018. it was a really nice light colour and tasted pretty good too. my euro lager that i done had been in the bottle for nearly 5 weeks now. when i poured one at 4, it got a real nice head, but was still a bit flat. is that normal

my euro lager that i done had been in the bottle for nearly 5 weeks now. when i poured one at 4, it got a real nice head, but was still a bit flat. is that normal

What fermentables did you put with it and how did you prime it?

Cheers
Gavo.

just 1kg or brew enhancer 2. apart from that, all that was in there was a hop bag

just 1kg or brew enhancer 2. apart from that, all that was in there was a hop bag

the brew enhancer 2 from what I understand will give a better head retention so that explains the nice head. How was it primed? How much priming sugar? what sized bottles. I am drinking an English bitter ATM, it retains a good head and would seem flat however the style calls for low carbonation.

Cheers
Gavo.

........the higher temperature will force the hydrometer to sit higher in the liquid than it would at if the wort was at a lower temperature ..... :beerbang:

you sure about this? Looks arse up.

Promash has a correction tool and download of the trial version is a good start for anyone.

daniel

you sure about this? Looks arse up.

Promash has a correction tool and download of the trial version is a good start for anyone.

daniel

Yep - you're right Daniel, may bad... :rolleyes: I do know that temperature affects how buoyant the hydrometer when sitting in the wort, and that is why you see on hydrometers that they are rated as calibrated at "X" temperature (normally 20 degrees Celsius)

Edit - Trying to remember and correct dodgy high school physics after midnight...

Latest posts

Back