Pirate Life IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Pirate Life from Sth Aus has an IPA that I think is pretty bloody sensational (the blue can not the IIPA in the black can).

I'd like to brew a clone of it, but wanted to ask if you guys could help put together a recipe for me.

Their website says they use Pale Malt, Munich and Crystal, and hop with Centenial, Riwaka, and Simcoe.

I have only used kit cans, hop pellets, and dabbled with some grains and malts so would be looking for that level of recipe. I do have mates who do all grain tho who have offered to help me do a brew woth their gear so suggestions for an all grain recipe would also be much appreciated!!!

Thanks ☺

I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm a massive fan of Pirate Life and I can give you some general pointers on how they do things:

1. The hops that they list as 'finishing hops' are generally what they use throughout the entire process. They will use a small amount at first wort and 60min (or start of boil - whatever that is), then the rest will be at 5min, whirlpool/flameout and a generous dry hop.
2. They only list 'crystal' but this will likely be split over a few different kinds. I know that in other beers, they use Carahell, Medium Crystal and Carafa Special III.

Lastly - just contact them. They are a great bunch of guys and really impressive with how they run their business and their willingness to assist loyal customers.

That's my favourite of their beers, most of theirs (this one less so) I find to be a little sweet. Not that I dislike them by any means!

damoninja said:
That's my favourite of their beers, most of theirs (this one less so) I find to be a little sweet. Not that I dislike them by any means!
I find they're all quite well balanced(not the biggest fan of the IIPA, though...), except for the Hopco IPA
That beer has no malt balance, imho

sp0rk said:
I find they're all quite well balanced(not the biggest fan of the IIPA, though...), except for the Hopco IPA
Only a little sweet, not malt bombs. Mind you, I have mostly had them among 14,867 beers at the drinking festivals so it could be the result of a series of unbalanced beers throwing the notion of balanced off balance

sp0rk said:
I'll agree with the Hopco being a poor beer
I like the others of theirs I tried, but that Hopco is up there on my 'thats a terrible IPA' list

SBOB said:
I'll agree with the Hopco being a poor beer
I like the others of theirs I tried, but that Hopco is up there on my 'thats a terrible IPA' list
Hopco is a pale not IPA

Balanced or not I liked it

Latest posts

Back