Pimp My TapKing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a crack at mine a few nights ago. Found that you don't need to stuff around with different size hoses, and joiners.
I also used a 1/8 bsp male to female 45 degree fitting as well to minimise fridge space. Hosetail fitting and 45 elbow cost around $8 at Enzed.
You'll need a 1/8 BSP to 1/8 hosetail instead of the 1/8 bsp to 3/16 ht fitting. Then just remove the regulator, and reuse the hose that's attached to the little white plastic co2 barb. Turn it 180 degrees though, so it bends towards the outer casing, instead of bending to the center where the reg was. It ends up being the perfect length and fit for the 1/8 barb.
I made the hole in the side so the thread pushes through snug, but doesn't need to be screwed into the casing. That way you can push the hose on the barb before assembly, then just wiggle the threaded end through the hole when putting the top cover back on. When you do up the 45 elbow it makes it all rigid again. I used a small bit of the gas / fuel thread goo instead of tape to seal it up.
Do everything else the same as the vids.

WP_20140723_001.jpg

WP_20140723_002.jpg

Wilko76 said:
Had a crack at mine a few nights ago.
nice job mate, very clean. I am having a crack at hooking up 2 dispensers to my keg king reg

Yeah, same. I bought a couple of T's with different male / female combinations to try that. Just thinking it would be a bit of a pita to change bottles. Let us know how you go.

Ok guys, I have a question about force carbing.

I recently bought a 16g mini-reg setup for my TK, and I need to get 3–4 bottles carbed up by next weekend for a party. I've been reading up on force carbing, as I am a noob, and one thing I'm not real clear on is if and when I can disconnect the CO2 during the process. I figure will need to eject each bottle once injected with CO2 so that I can carb the next one.

I like the sound of the shaking or rolling method, but after I turn the reg up to 30psi and shake/roll for some time (2-15m??), can I then turn off the reg and eject the bottle from the head unit?

I guess I'm looking to understand the consequences of turning down/off the regulator while the bottle is mounted, as well as what happens with the bottle is ejected.

Be careful mate, I had 2 tapking bottles blow (due to the bad batch of BRY-97 and I forgot I still had 2 bottled) and they do some damage. Mine were in a plastic storage container which the bottle neck shot straight through. Having said that I haven't tested at which psi the bottles will blow, I only put 10-15 in for the pour as I carb naturally. You will go through a fair few 16g bulbs too.

But with the external reg you can eject the bottles after carbing and they will hold the carb, I used to swap out half drunk bottles to different beers (I now have 2 tap king dispensers running off the 1 reg so less swap out needed).

Thanks for the warning, had your yeast not finished out, causing excess pressure on your bottles?

I will take a cautious approach when agitating the bottles to dissolve in the CO2, and although 30psi seemed fairly standard advice, I have seen the odd person say that dialing to serving pressure will also work but it will just take more shaking/rolling. I'll see whether boredom or safety wins out on that decision.

Good to know I can pull the bottles when they're carbed, or when I feel like a different beer :)

carpedaym said:
Thanks for the warning, had your yeast not finished out, causing excess pressure on your bottles?
Yeah the yeast stalled a bit higher than expected FG, I knew bottle bombs could be an issue so I bottled and drank most of it fairly quickly but forgot about these 2 bottles in a box the garage.

You should be fine with 30psi and the cold uncarbed beer will absorb the pressure alright. I just thought I'd put a warning out there that they have some force in them when the do blow.

Woke me up at 2 in the morning thinking the shoalwater bay military exercises started early this year.

mrTbeer said:
attachicon.gif
$(KGrHqNHJBUFHJ+GngeDBR8eMhBjtQ~~60_57.jpg
Went a slightly different route, see post in Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers
Still uses external gas but mini regulator and 16g bulb fits in the fridge taking up less room than soda stream gas bottle.
Using those little triangular screws was difficult with my 'sexy fingers' (**** everything they touch).
Do you know if the 16 gram bulbs need to be threaded?

Does anyone know someone that has extra bottles? Im willing to trade delicious homebrew for them.

vince_cirilo said:
Do you know if the 16 gram bulbs need to be threaded?
to fit the mini reg? yeah they need to be threaded

vince_cirilo said:
Does anyone know someone that has extra bottles? Im willing to trade delicious homebrew for them.
I have extra bottles but am not local to MEL unfortunately...

Hey all recently hacked my tap king to use an external c02 16g bulb with the mini regulator found on ebay...Is it possible to connect a soda stream bottle to the mini reg and what would I need?

thanks

I was thinking about the tapking system last night. I'm curious. Why doesn't beer get into the airline? Is it possible that it might? If so, what would happen?

I'm about to hack one of these for the mother in law's partner & wondering if anyone can see any problems with filling some bottles up using my Blichmann beer gun.
I'd just keg my beers as normal, gas them up at my serving pressure & after a couple of weeks, use the beer gun to fill, then store them at fridge temp until needed.

mattyg8 said:
Hey all recently hacked my tap king to use an external c02 16g bulb with the mini regulator found on ebay...Is it possible to connect a soda stream bottle to the mini reg and what would I need?

thanks
Anyone?

mattyg8 said:

thanks
the only soda stream adapters I've seen are sodastream to full size reg. You would have to find an appropriate adapter/reducer. I would just get a normal reg ($46 http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulators-accessories/product/239-stainless-steel-mini-reg) and sodastream adapter ($22 http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulators-accessories/product/494-co2-soda-stream-adaptor-with-washers)

crowmanz said:
the only soda stream adapters I've seen are sodastream to full size reg. You would have to find an appropriate adapter/reducer. I would just get a normal reg ($46 http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulators-accessories/product/239-stainless-steel-mini-reg) and sodastream adapter ($22 http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulators-accessories/product/494-co2-soda-stream-adaptor-with-washers)
Yeah I think that maybe the go

Latest posts

Back