Pilsner Idea Check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoran

Reaction score
Hi all,

Going to try do a pilsner soon and thought I might check the recipe out here first and see if it can be improved.

Ive plugged the figures into Ians Spreadsheet and looks good there.
All ideas welcome.
Havent gone shopping yet so can change all the ingredients.

Recipe as follows

2.8kg light dme
0.2kg Carapils

40g Hallertau @ 45mins
40g Saaz @ 25mins
12g Hallertau @ 5 misn
12g Saaz @ 5mins

125ml Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Yeast

Primary 14 days at 12-13 Degs
Secondary 14 days at 2-3 degs

Have attached the spreadsheet if theres any confusion.

Any help is welcome

View attachment Pilsner Idea DD 14-01-14.xls

Diacetyl rest perhaps? (raise temp to 18C for 2-3 days before crashing)

Diacetyl rest perhaps? (raise temp to 18C for 2-3 days before crashing)
Ok thanks.
As far as secondary ferment goes should I after primary ferment transfer to sanitised bulk prime bucket seal and cold crash?
Then bottle straight from that?

Can do, I don't see why not. I usually cold crash in the primary, and have read that many others do the same. when will you be adding the priming sugar? before the crash or after?

dave doran said:
Ok thanks. As far as secondary ferment goes should I after primary ferment transfer to sanitised bulk prime bucket seal and cold crash? Then bottle straight from that?
That's the general idea. If it's the first time you've racked to secondary make sure you use a nice long hose to avoid oxidation.

Someone else might be able to suggest if it's worth leaving for 4 weeks in secondary opposed to 2? I've seen the 2 week primary, 2-3 day drest, 4 week secondary schedule in a lot of threads.

Ok Great.

Ya ive heard of 4 weeks in the secondary as well. Might go with that.

Was going to prime after crash Alex but now that I think about it, it sound like a lot of messing around transferring after primary to secondary for drest and crash then transfer again for priming.

It might not fit the lagering guidelines, but you can prime in primary and gently gently stir through without disturbing the yeast cake.

Personally I don't rack to secondary, I haven't seen value in it. Some swear by it, some swear at it!

Thanks Damo,
Ya going with the primary crash chill and transfer to bulk prime.

Hi All,

So couple of questions bout this brew. This is how it went down.

1.5kg Light LME
1.5kg Light DME

45g Hallertau @ 45mins (pellets)
42g Saaz @25 mins (pellets)
12g Hallertau @5mins (pellets)
12g Saaz @5 mins (pellets)

125ml 2007 Wyeast Pilsner.

1/2 Whirlfloc @ 10mins

Ok so problem was pellets went straight into pot with wort. After boil when cooled and had to transfer to fermenter the hops had created a sludge and kept blocking the strainer. I kept fishing out the sludge and binning it. Eventually got all the liquid through and topped up with cold water to 23 deg.

Ok so I pitched the yeast and thought the wort was cool enough. Turns out it was at 18deg rather than the 12 I was hoping for. Was dropped to consistent 12 deg within the next 12 hrs.
OG was at 1.046 which was exactly what the spreadsheet predicted so I was happy with that. 36hrs or so in and it has dropped to 1.042/1.043. Should I be expecting more fermentation here?

Tastes great out of fermenter. Just wondering if people think I might need to put more yeast in or leave it alone to do its thing?

Thanks,

Dave

Edit: 250g Carapils Grain Mashed at 67 for 30 mins. Sparged with 0.7 at 75 deg

At this stage it is best to leave it alone to do it's thing. Did you direct pitch the smack-pack or did you make a starter? What was the manufacture date on the yeast? Are there any visible signs of fermentation?

Pitched the smack pack. Seeing condensation on the lid so may be slowly fermenting. Dropped from 46 to 42/43 so hopefully it will turn good. Yeast manufacture was oct 13.

I just bottled my first Pilsner (after lagering for almost 2 months... I got lazy).

This is what I made.

1 x Morgan’s golden saaz pilsner
1 x Morgans extra pale malt extract
30g saaz hops 20min boil in 2L water
Saflager S-23 yeast
23L

Very keen to make another once the fridge is free again. I would change the yeast for my next one.

Any top Pils recipes out there? Czech or otherwise

Kev what's your pitch rate for it?. I'm tempted to cold pitch some and thought 2 packs straight in?

mje1980 said:
Kev what's your pitch rate for it?. I'm tempted to cold pitch some and thought 2 packs straight in?
Depends on vol and gravity of beer, but assuming a 5%ish beer and 23L ferment 2 packs. It's a great yeast to keep reusing many generations and find it is still great in the higher end of the temp range.

http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/
fermentation temperature: 9-22°C (48.2-71.6°F) ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)
dosage instructions: 80 to 120 g/hl for pitching at 12C – 15°C (53-59°F).
increase dosage for pitching below 12°C (53°F), up to 200 to 300 g/hl at 9°C (48°F)
rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 23°C ± 3°C (73°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition.

Latest posts

Back