98IBU Alan's ******* IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clickeral

Reaction score
Morning All

Took yesterday off and decided to do some brewing to use up some chinook hop flowers?Bines? i got off the from someone in the forum and to use up so malt before i move house again along with some Galaxy that was getting a bit old

I have a few different bits of equipment and tbh think I need to get my 2V setup going again (50L boiler and 76L esky(need to fit my manifold and valves etc again))

So right now I am using a 32L turbo boiler (2200W) along with a BIAB, Have done 1 smash in this and my mate who has it in his garage has probably put 3 beers down with another one yesterday

I have insulated it with Abelflex from bunnings

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ormonoid-abelflex-10mm-x-100mm-x-6m-expansion-joint-filler_p1060075

Will need to rethink the insulation as it dropped about 10C in 90mins, also it struggles to keep a rolling boil going with the lid on

Anyway decided to brew the below, managed to get a whole 58% of efficiency (Started with 20L of water due to head space but should have gone with 25L)

Recipe is for 23L and I no chill Its about 65IBU and 98IBU with no chill based on Brewers friend and Beersmith any critic would be great as learning's for next time, pretty sure I maxed out what my BIAB setup can do and should have split the recipe

All crushed fine via a corna mill as I havent got my MM mini and motor setup atm

Strike water at 72.5C

Mashed at 66.7C for 90mins with a mash out of 75.6C as I was aiming for a medium body and I did sparge and multiple milking of my biab bag to get liquid for the boil, 18L at the end with temp correct gravity of 1.082 watered it down to temp corrected 1.068

Target SG 1.068 Target FG 1.015 ABV 7.05%

Yeast
US05

Malt
5kg Pilsner malt (Joe White)
1.7kg Traditional golden ale malt (Joe White)
0.8KG Rye
0.5kg Caramunich 3

Hops
Chinook flowers (Home grown) 40g 60mins
Chinook flowers (Home grown) 20g 20mins
Galaxy pallets 20g 5mins
Chinook Flowers (Home grown) 20g 0mins
Galaxy pallets 19g 0mins

4Days primary and 10days secondary, I will add some Gelatine in secondary to clear it up and am considering dry hopping with another 20-40g of Chinook flowers (Home grown

The hops are all from 2014-2015 and have been in and out of my freezer so may have lost some potency, my rolling boil pretty much died when I added my first hop addition and never really got going again (2200W is a joke may need to look into an immersion heater for it)

Has a great colour and when I took a sample for the SG reading it had hop oil floating in it, you can taste the hops comming through so hoping it ferments out well :)

Biggest beer I have done in awhile

Still wanting to get a Braumeister or a smaller Mash tun for 2V

Will add tasting comments once its ready

Any feedback or thoughts welcome

Cheers
All

Hey mate. Good luck with the brew. A couple of things. The Abelflex is no good for insulation, as you found out. Try some insulation, the foil coated bats that are wound around old hot water services. They are great to use. The original gravity is getting high enough to look at pitching more yeast, you didn't say how much you pitched but a good amount (1gram per litre) will get you to the final gravity you want.

Taking the Chinook at 13 AA and the Galaxy at 14 AA and assuming normal boil conversion and wort cooling (not specified in your post) I get 68 IBU.

Don't get too excited about a Braumeister then as it only has a 2200W element (20L model with 31L boil)

I may be not understanding something but are you saying you get 50% extra bitterness with no-chill ... 68 > 98
I always no-chill and make no adjustments for that and don't find that level of bitterness

Maybe I'm missing something :D

As long as you ticked the no-chill box, it should be right...

Coalminer said:
I may be not understanding something but are you saying you get 50% extra bitterness with no-chill ... 68 > 98
I always no-chill and make no adjustments for that and don't find that level of bitterness

Maybe I'm missing something :D
2/3 of his hops are late throws so no chill will make a big difference.

That being said, I don't think he'll get the full level of bitterness, AAs are just not soluble enough (witness the comment re hop oils floating on the surface: the Kow of AA is huge).

So popped one I chilled in the fridge today as a tester to see how it was going

20170108_195805_zpsfgvhrb6o.jpg

20170108_195816_zpstwmlqvl1.jpg

20170108_195826_zps9hwsxrqy.jpg

As you can see the bottle died as I opened it, beer has not carbed tipping due to the fact I hadnt chilled it long enough and also suspecting the bottle had hairline cracks and wasn't sealed properly.

Considering it isn't carbed it was actually pretty drinkable :) in saying that its 30C+ here atm ha

Will report back later being as its only 12days old :p

Just had a lightly carbed one and its very drinkable think I need to let them carb abit more (maybe another 2weeks and then 2weeks in the fridge) but pretty happy with how it turned out :)

clickeral said:
Just had a lightly carbed one and its very drinkable think I need to let them carb abit more (maybe another 2weeks and then 2weeks in the fridge) but pretty happy with how it turned out :)
How was the bitterness level, it should have been a big hit to the taste buds.

Back