Pid Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWC

Reaction score
I'm planning my build of a HERMS system at the moment. I have a Mashmate to run my HLT when it's built but I was looking at PID's on ebay. Maybe sell my MM and buy 2 PID's for HLT and HERMS?
Can you do multiple steps with one of these from Ebay/China and do you need a relay to switch element on/off?
Any info on PID's will be greatly appreciated as Iv'e got NFI :unsure:
Cheers

Dave

The Auberins website has some good units and at least one is step programmable. If you want the ins and out of PID's then google "PID with out the PHD"

I'm planning my build of a HERMS system at the moment. I have a Mashmate to run my HLT when it's built but I was looking at PID's on ebay. Maybe sell my MM and buy 2 PID's for HLT and HERMS?
Can you do multiple steps with one of these from Ebay/China and do you need a relay to switch element on/off?
Cheers

Dave

Best bet is the one with the SSR (solid state relay) to control your elements that also handle PT100 rtd sensors.
PT100's have a range more suited to our purposes than the type K (?) normally supplied. Cheap s/s ones are available with sealed screw threads for under $10 from china/ebay and are as accurate as you'll need.

Plenty of other threads around the site here with pics and experiences wiring them up. :)

Best bet is the one with the SSR (solid state relay) to control your elements that also handle PT100 rtd sensors.
PT100's have a range more suited to our purposes than the type K (?) normally supplied. Cheap s/s ones are available with sealed screw threads for under $10 from china/ebay and are as accurate as you'll need.

Plenty of other threads around the site here with pics and experiences wiring them up. :)

I bought three of them, and have a pt100 for my Urn for strike water, and used k type thermocouples for both my keg fridge and fermentation freezer, its awesome.

I have solid state relays here for our business, so didnt buy them, but you should buy the type with the ssr's.

I fitted them into an enclosure and just have 3 cheapo female extension cord ends coming out the bottom of the box, so you can plug anything in.

I plan to use them for drying my hops later as well with a cheap electric fan heater.

I paid just over 30 bucks each for them on ebay without ssr's..

Cheers,
Grog

Sorry, I can laser out custom enclosure covers and decals as well if you want...

will get a pic of mine and try to post here later...

Cheers

Dave

You will most likely always need an ssr to switch the element, they can handle higher loads and should always be mounted with a heat sink or on a metal surface.

Look for PIDs that are advertised as "ramp soak", these are programmable and should be what you are looking for. I run an Auberins ramp/soak unit and RTD probes for accuracy. Given the Aussie$ strength, go with them!

You will most likely always need an ssr to switch the element, they can handle higher loads and should always be mounted with a heat sink or on a metal surface.

Look for PIDs that are advertised as "ramp soak", these are programmable and should be what you are looking for. I run an Auberins ramp/soak unit and RTD probes for accuracy. Given the Aussie$ strength, go with them!

Would that be this one?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...p;products_id=5

Also, would these work with a mashmaster probe?

Latest posts

Back