Pictures From First Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreadbyte

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew about a month ago and took a few pictures. It was a robust porter.

I totally missed all my targets. Ended up with only 14L when I was aiming for about 20L. My water temperature went up when I added the grain. I think because I didn't agitate the water when taking measurements so it was a lot hotter at the bottom. It was a very hot mash, needless to say.

It was a good experience though and I learned alot. I've since done another batch of Belgian Wheat which went much more smoothly (no pictures though, sorry).

All in all, BIAB has got me in to AG but I must admit I find it a bit clumsy and I'l like to get a mash tun... Just need to find somewhere about the house to keep yet another bit of kit... :rolleyes:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dreadbyte/BrewDay

Dyl

Well it looks like you got beer into that jerry :beerbang:

Looking good Dreadbyte. Thats one long piece of all-thread on the kettle mate!

Looking good Dreadbyte. Thats one long piece of all-thread on the kettle mate!

I was wondering when someone would mention it.

It was the shortest length I could source and I didn't have a hacksaw to shorten it when I installed it. I'm sure I'll get around to fixing it... some time...

Great pics. 14lt is far better than 13.9lt. Well done!

I did the same with my first grain brew finished with about 4 or 5 litres less then i wanted.

I like the pics though i think i took two my first all grain :huh:

Well done Dreadbyte.

I did my first AG BIAB on the weekend (Smurtos Golden Ale) and also missed a few targets. Only ended up with 8 litres in the fermenter instead of the 10 I was aiming for. But still a great experience. Now deciding which one to do next.

Hijacking this thread, rather than contributing more white noise to the forums.

I, too, popped my AG cherry on the weekend. I've helped out at a couple of case-swap brews, and helped out a mate, but decided it was time to fly solo.

Adapted esky, with patented garden-hose-fitting outlet and tap:
img_1137.jpg

Hybrid brew-in-a-sheet-in-an-esky means I don't need to bother with a false bottom or braid. I call this the BIASIAE method. 10.5 litres of water at strike temp.
img_1138.jpg

Mash-in with 3kg of pale ale malt, 400gm of munich, and 200gm of crystal
img_1139.jpg

Pretty happy for a first time, only half a degree over target temp
img_1141.jpg

Esky lid on, and go do other stuff for an hour
img_1143.jpg

Draining the first runnings.
img_1144.jpg

Sparge with another 15 lt water, and let it sit for another 10 mins.
img_1145.jpg

A mix of Galaxy and Cascade at 60mins, 20mins and in the cube.
img_1146.jpg

Ended up with about 15.5 litres into a 16lt cube, so will add a little more next time.

All up, 3.5 hours from start to cleanup, plus a huge sense of self satisfaction. Can't wait until my fermenter is empty again, so I've got another excuse to give it another go.

That's a great idea Warmbeer, what efficiency did you get?

All up, 3.5 hours from start to cleanup, plus a huge sense of self satisfaction. Can't wait until my fermenter is empty again, so I've got another excuse to give it another go.

good work! I jealous that it only took you 3.5 hours... my 4 BIAB attempts took me 4-5 hours!!! I might have to try your BIASIAE method... just don't know if I can lift the pot once full

That's a great idea Warmbeer, what efficiency did you get?
I'm not sure, as I didn't take a SG reading before cubing the wort. Will make sure I do so when I get it into the fermenter.

I think I will probably end up with a low efficiency, as I over estimated the sparge water needed, and threw out 2 litres of second runnings, then ended up boiling too much away, so ended up half a litre short of my target volume. Next time...

Brew in a bag in an esky. And why indeed not :)

Indeed. Only thing is...Where is the hot water being generated?

I was thinking if you wanted to use an urn and an eski but no dedicated HLT, you could use the urn to heat up the strike water, transfer that to mash tun, mash, then while mashing heat up some sparge water in the urn. Transfer sparge water to a bucket or something similar and then drain mash into the kettle and add the sparge water to the mash turn.

I may consider doing this. Seems to make sense if you're sparging in a bucket anyway. Basically yeah you need the eski, but you also don't need to lift and squeeze the bag (may not be everyones cup of tea).

Back