Pet Soft Drink Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I now have 14 brews in various stages of conditioning / being drunk and right from day one I decided to look around for the cheapest 2L soft drink bottles, dump the contents, and stick to the same brand for total consistency.
My brews now proclaim proudly that they are ALDI Regal Cola :lol: . Another reason I went ALDI is that they come in the cartons (light protection) and b^gger me dead there's even a nice little white oblong label on each box where I can write up to six batch numbers / bottling dates - excellent stock control, handling and rotation and IMHO I have really the next best bulk system to kegging for my quaffing requirements without the nightmare I used to have with XXXX tallies, bench cappers etc in my previous life.

I haven't removed the labels because of course there is a glue strip on the bottle that doesn't come off with soapy water, and if you tear off the plastic labels and leave the glue strip it attracts dust and grub and after a few uses the bottles look really feral.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing this strip, as totally clean 2L PET full of crystal clear beer look awesome. I'll probably have to do home experimenting with various solvents but if anyone has a method I would be really grateful not to re-invent the wheel :rolleyes:

Tee-tree oil (or whatever it's called). Or Eucalyptus Oil - I can't remember which one, basically strips off the glue. Most solvents will kill the PET bottles, along with the glue, so I'd try this first...

Cheers - MIke

Try an orange based product called 'dissolve' (or a flame thrower)

Looks like the 'natural' oils are the way to go. I had thought of maybe nail polish remover or something like that but it would probably rot holes in the bottles themselves. I'll try the eucalyptus tomorrow for starters.

Yea fair enough. Metho is pretty powerful, but if no one else has tried it, might be worth giving it a go. Otherwise, i know the glue is a real pain, like it is on the rego sticker of your car :p ... But as you said about the pressure on the PET's.

WD 40 ? another common one used to get labels off glass not sure if it attacks plastic though but don't think so.

Make your own Beer labels and stick them over the top. If you have done a lot of Brews (batches) you don't want them mixed up.

another vote for this as someone said above -

2005-stickygoo.jpg

the goo remover is twice as good trust me. havnt not been able to get anything off with it. got that little bit of added boh selecta i think.

Latest posts

Back