Mini keg party dispensing via carba-capped PET bottle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxy

Reaction score
So I tried this system out yesterday at home, with a pre-charged 1.25L Coke bottle at 15PSI/100KPA hooked up to a 2L mini keg. It poured okay, definitely good enough for a party keg, but only poured out about 2/3 of the mini keg out before running out.

Clearly, about 20PSI or so and it would be fine to pour the whole keg. Very happy with this for my 2L mini.

The issue now is how get enough CO2 in my 5L mini keg to pour the whole thing out (for those "big occasion" parties where you need 5L). Clearly a 2L PET bottle would probably be more appropriate here. I'd like to know if others have used this method for Their 5L minis, and how much pressure is really safe to charge into an empty PET bottle? I figure I may need like 30PSI to get through the whole thing. I'm also going to need some damn long beer line to stop it flowing too fast at the start, I guess.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1493528169.921434.jpg

Seems like you'd be better off investing in a mini reg and bulbs or soda stream gas.

mstrelan said:
Seems like you'd be better off investing in a mini reg and bulbs or soda stream gas.
Yeah, I'm just trying not to drop another $40 on this right now. I'm sure I'll go that route eventually.

grott said:
For your 5l keg why not use your 2 litre keg as the co2 source?
That would work brilliantly but requires another mini keg fitting for the top of the 2L one. Still, they are only about $20 or so I think.

Would be worth doing as it would give you two kegs when your able to set up a different gas supply eg soda stream bottle

Coxy said:
Yeah, I'm just trying not to drop another $40 on this right now. I'm sure I'll go that route eventually.
I would have gone for the mini reg instead of the pluto gun and got a picnic tap instead.

Lionman said:
I would have gone for the mini reg instead of the pluto gun and got a picnic tap instead.
Sure - I've had the pluto gun for about 6 years, though. I didn't buy it with the mini-keg set up. It seems the general consensus is to get a mini-reg, though. I'll keep an eye out for a cheapie.

Definitely like the idea! I've been thinking of ways to fill from my 22kg bottle into a smaller vessel for party / after work beverage consumption. This might be the trick! But use the mini reg to control the release.
I hear that trying to refill cylinders can be difficult... Might have to utube it.

Back