Growler Upgrade - adding carb cap for counterfilling/extra carbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
So, having multiple portable beer dispensers from party kegs to the (useless) KK drafto kit to skanky 2ltr coke bottles I've realised the only two things that are actually important to me with portable beer under 10L : keeping it well carbed well and keeping it cold.

I want to rock up somewhere with my beer, drop it on a table, and not have to worry about it getting cold or fiddling with some c02 serving thingy and have it look respectable.

I typically grab a 1-2ltr PET bottle, counterfill with a carb cab and add a some C02 to keep that sucker gassed. Works great, but looks ghetto and needs to be kept cold. SS growlers look great, keep the beer cold but carbonation is a problem.

Enter the SS growler with a PET top to allow a carb cap to be fitted - KAPOW! Counter fill it, spritz with some C02, and either keep carb cap on or remove and replace with a standard PET lid! This will guarantee your beer with be carbed and cold! yeehah!

Link to Carb Cap: http://kegking.com.au/carbonation-cap-line-cleaning-cap-counter-pressure-filler.html

Have a mate who's got a 3D printer so I'm gonna hit him up, but if anyone else wants to throw their hat in the ring to help out make this a reality let me know!

Here a ready-to-go solution for $25. Apologies for the large image

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5645

7469-growler-drafto-kit-growler-fill-growler-picnic-tap.jpg

yeah I've got the drafto kit thinking it was the answer but I find it doesn't work very well and is just a hassle. As the drafto kit ($25) requires the mini reg ($50) and a bulb ($2) each time - so it's more like $75 on top of the growler plus a bulb each fill.

I was going to buy a few kits until the following reasons stopped me:

1. you need C02 bulbs, one per use
2. the mini reg is pricey and doesn't work very well (leaks C02, reg control is poor)
3. can fizz up if it's warm (the line and tap)
4. cannot scale to mulitple growlers without multiple drafto kits,regs,bulbs. I want something that can take up to 6L with minimum gear while keeping it classy.
5. fiddly, prone to leaks

to add to the above, my keg king mini reg stopped working. piece of crap imo

YEAH! I was being too kind, the KK drafto/mini reg kit is expensive and useless :ph34r:

huh, doesn't sound like I've used mine as much as you guys.

Biggest pain for me is filing them, so maybe a bulk head fitted to the lid would make filling easier.

Attach beer line to bottom of fitting, feed beer into fitting, crack lid to start transfer, and profit.

The drafto thing works perfectly, it's just the KK reg that broke after a few goes.

N3MI said:
Plastic 3d printed parts would not be durable enough. I do like the idea though. Maybe a bulkhead fitting + nut would do the job? http://kegking.com.au/co2-cylinders/ball-lock-post-with-1-4-inch-bulkhead-assembly-gas.html
That could be a good place to start. the beer line would be attached to the bottom of the lid, making pouring slightly more of an issue, but not much. Think I've got a keg with posts I'm not using at the moment, might use one of those as a pilot.

Liam_snorkel said:
The drafto thing works perfectly, it's just the KK reg that broke after a few goes.
all things homebrew (Sydney Homebrew Supplies is the user name here) sell a tank version of the mini reg, far superior I hear, I should be seeing it next week, but check out the mini keg bulk buy thread for pictures.

Im told they are quite sturdy and not prone to the faults that the KK unit is..

Ive had two or 3 of those bastards.. the best and longest living one I had was the one I filled the regulator with araldite after knocking it ever so slightly.. well ok, I dropped it...

>LINKY<

My grumble is you need a drafto/mini reg/bulb for each growler. You can't swap the reg between units without losing pressure.

Was playing with the idea of sticking a gas post/carb cap off the drafto kit so the reg can be interchanged between units without this problem, but you end up with all this stuff hanging off your growler like dogs balls and the reliance on bulbs also just urks me.

OK. time to get this growler upgrade off the ground and stop bitching about the alternatives!

Has anyone made an adaptor to go from a soda stream gas bottle to one of those mini regulators? That would make it economical.

dblunn said:
Has anyone made an adaptor to go from a soda stream gas bottle to one of those mini regulators? That would make it economical.

the point of this upgrade is to travel with less stuff while keeping it cold and carbonated. Economics of either the bulb or sodastream still don't do it for me. I've got a SS bottle too - and it's impossible to know how much gas is left in that damn bottle! Relying on C02 while 'on the road' is something I want to avoid.

buckerooni said:
So, having multiple portable beer dispensers from party kegs to the (useless) KK drafto kit to skanky 2ltr coke bottles I've realised the only two things that are actually important to me with portable beer under 10L : keeping it well carbed well and keeping it cold.

I want to rock up somewhere with my beer, drop it on a table, and not have to worry about it getting cold or fiddling with some c02 serving thingy and have it look respectable.

I typically grab a 1-2ltr PET bottle, counterfill with a carb cab and add a some C02 to keep that sucker gassed. Works great, but looks ghetto and needs to be kept cold. SS growlers look great, keep the beer cold but carbonation is a problem.

Enter the SS growler with a PET top to allow a carb cap to be fitted - KAPOW! Counter fill it, spritz with some C02, and either keep carb cap on or remove and replace with a standard PET lid! This will guarantee your beer with be carbed and cold! yeehah!

Link to Carb Cap: http://kegking.com.au/carbonation-cap-line-cleaning-cap-counter-pressure-filler.html

Have a mate who's got a 3D printer so I'm gonna hit him up, but if anyone else wants to throw their hat in the ring to help out make this a reality let me know!

I know where you're going with this, and I thought about doing it myself too until I bought 2 mini kegs with ball lock heads in the recent BB. I'm getting some keg coolers made up for them, should keep it cold enough for half a day.
Anyway, I made two PET male threads for my portable kegerator as shown in the pics below (I can't seem to get the site uploader to stop turning some pics upside down sorry).
You'll need to turn them on a lathe and since the SS is so thin on the growler lid you'd need to SS solder it to the lid.
Can be done, but I don't know if it's worth the effort??
20160625_072101 (Small).jpg
20160625_072134 (Small).jpg

Very interesting Redman, out of interest, what is on the bottom side of the SS PET threads?! How does it connect to the keg/vessel?

I hadn't banked on the 3D printed part being unsuitable for use. Could always get something moulded I guess.

There's this approach, although it will probably work better from the liquid out, as the C02 will enter from the bottom, helping to purge any air that is in there. It would also mean you could counter fill it too..Just have a gas disconnect hooked up to a pony tap to swap from 'gas in' to 'liquid out'.

This is a little bit of a tanget to what I originally wanted, but is probably a good compromise for the fking around of trying to get a PET thread on the SS growler lid!

buckerooni said:
Very interesting Redman, out of interest, what is on the bottom side of the SS PET threads?! How does it connect to the keg/vessel?

I hadn't banked on the 3D printed part being unsuitable for use. Could always get something moulded I guess.

There's this approach, although it will probably work better from the liquid out, as the C02 will enter from the bottom, helping to purge any air that is in there. It would also mean you could counter fill it too..Just have a gas disconnect hooked up to a pony tap to swap from 'gas in' to 'liquid out'.

This is a little bit of a tanget to what I originally wanted, but is probably a good compromise for the fking around of trying to get a PET thread on the SS growler lid!

There's nothing on the bottom, the SS plate is just glued and screwed to the cooler top. The male SS pet threads are TIG and soldered to the SS plate.
The male threads are only there to screw on a carb cap to hold on a ball lock securely for the tap. I just repeated it for the gas dc so it looks pretty.

I had a look again at my SS growler, and there's no easy way to attach a carb cap to it. It's a thin SS skin with a hard plastic inside core holding it together, followed by the soft rubber seal.
I think you'd wreck the lid even if you tried to drill a large enough hole to fit a ball lock bulkhead to it.
You really need a screw top insulated growler to make it worthwhile to do. They are around, but a bit pricey. They even have a lid option which has a gas ball lock on it and a tap, so you could always remove the tap and plug what looks like an MFL thread? Then it's pretty much done already!
Pics are from ikegger.
Growlers_2048x2048.jpg

M_ea250d01-b54c-47c5-82f6-d1d73406f9fe_2048x2048.jpg

I do like more your idea of just connecting carb caps to beer line of the drafto cap, although it's a little unwieldy.
That's why in the end I just take my 5L mini kegs with my new keg coolers, job done!
By the way, Bacchus brewing do sorta counter fill with a draft-o cap on glass growlers. They do it though with a hose connected onto the tap into the beer out and vent out of the gas in with some line and a needle/ball valve if I remember correctly.

Good luck, if you go through with any of it, post pics and progress as I know it will help others who will end up down the same path.

Latest posts

Back