PET bottles multi size and colors.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
We only have the 740ml option in brown. What about a better range.
Who do we look to for such a thing. For beer brewing of course from 330ml to 3000ml.
In brown, but I would like in total black. Or green for Cider etc. Why stop there. Any size, any color.
What's the possibilities?
Honestly I understand the purity of glass but if its not for long time. More like shorter time turnover and portability then PET bottles are the best. Safety etc and draught transfer capable for the home brewer/kegger.

What say you? who can we ball bust for such a range.

I regularly travel to NZ & buy take away beer from breweries that they fill from the tap into PET bottles. They have 1.25L & 2L bottles. Not sure if there are suppliers in AUS but one of the breweries has offered to sell me some bottles if I want them. Maybe send an email to Brothers Beer in Auckland. They may be able to give you the name of supplier. Good luck

Another option is glass bottles with the same thread as the pet bottles. A modern day plastic cap has to be as good as any steel cap in comparison surely.
The 750ml glass bottled Bickford's Cordial range happens to have that thread but they are again clear, uncoloured.

edit: no that's no good. Steel carb cap onto a glass bottle is not an option, silly me......

Or they make a plastic carb cap?

just thinking out loud here.

stewy said:
I regularly travel to NZ & buy take away beer from breweries that they fill from the tap into PET bottles. They have 1.25L & 2L bottles. Not sure if there are suppliers in AUS but one of the breweries has offered to sell me some bottles if I want them. Maybe send an email to Brothers Beer in Auckland. They may be able to give you the name of supplier. Good luck
Were they brown? Otherwise the option of clear bottles that I buy off the shelf as soda water for $1.00.

Danscraftbeer said:
We only have the 740ml option in brown. What about a better range.
Who do we look to for such a thing. For beer brewing of course from 330ml to 3000ml.
In brown, but I would like in total black. Or green for Cider etc. Why stop there. Any size, any color.
What's the possibilities?
Honestly I understand the purity of glass but if its not for long time. More like shorter time turnover and portability then PET bottles are the best. Safety etc and draught transfer capable for the home brewer/kegger.

What say you? who can we ball bust for such a range.
Only 740ml brown, eh, says who?
http://www.plasdene.com.au/shop-menu/beverage/soft-drink/plastic-4

I sense its not precisely what you're after but the point is there's plenty of other PETs available if you wish, while recycling any soft drink bottle is always an option (particularly if some camouflage is required) and one that I use regularly. So that opens up the range considerably, anything from 330ml to 2000ml so far and a few different colours.

Danscraftbeer said:
Were they brown? Otherwise the option of clear bottles that I buy off the shelf as soda water for $1.00.
//. Yes mate, brown. Identical to the 740ml ones you buy in the HB shops here, just larger sizes available. I have a couple. One thing to consider with the 2L version is not all bottle wands are long enough to to hit the bottom. The blue tipped ones are just long enough though.

The Bickfords ones probably wouldn't be rated to hold any pressure anyway so regardless of colour I wouldn't be using them.

It would be a nice thing to see a range of brown PET bottles. Say 330ml to 3000ml.
I'd think it cant be an easy campaign. All the home brewers in favour of such a range may not even size up to a production effort for such a range. :unsure:
I'm surprized the US hasn't done it. Then again I guess there is nothing wrong with clear bottles. The total size range is already there.

Rocker, good point I didn't think of pressure with glass bottles with that cap thread. The Bickfords make good sauce bottles though.
Fill them hot then seal with a new PET cap. B)

Back