Pet Bottles, Environmental Disaster?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
Was watching the news on how it takes about 16 litres of water, not counting the oil for plastic to make a single litre of bottled water on the supermarkup stores shelves to sell to consumers and got me thinking to how the impact is for a brewer (10+ times the volume of water to chill wort) and PET bottles to bottle in versus that of glass that could be from the 70's or 80's and still being reused and keeping new materials dug up, melted down, form, labelled and transported as it re-use lifespan is long.

Thoughts?

Pete
I worked in a 300 year old glassworks in the UK in the 70s and a lot of the raw material came from 'cullet' or recycled glass which obviously is a corruption of the word 'collect'. To get a word corrupted in the English language is a sign that it's been around for centuries. The problem with cullet in modern industrial glass making however is that just a trace of something else included in the cullet that contains silicates as well, such as a couple of rocks, can render an entire melt useless as it distributes little nuggets of 'stone' in the melt that can totally stuff a modern bottle production line, whatever (I worked in a fluorescent tube factory). Stone wasn't so much a problem in the days of returnable bottles because once the labels etc had been removed from a Tooheys or XXXX tallie and the thing reasonably washed it would melt down well and could be genuinely reborn. Nowadays of course most recycleables come from the generic bin and the sorting-out of bottles isn't so good. I've even heard that there is no facility in Australia for recycling green glass and they need to be sent to China at horrendous glass miles.

For effective re-use of glass we really need to get back to a genuine bottle deposit scheme and that should go a long way to making modern glass truly recycleable.

(10+ times the volume of water to chill wort)

Serious? You need a better chilling technique :eek:

We as brewers make up a tiny proportion of PET bottle usage, and us brewers reuse the bottles, as opposed to soft drink consumers that chuck them out, either in the recycling or just in the bin.

Was watching the news on how it takes about 16 litres of water, not counting the oil for plastic to make a single litre of bottled water on the supermarkup stores shelves to sell to consumers and got me thinking to how the impact is for a brewer (10+ times the volume of water to chill wort) and PET bottles to bottle in versus that of glass that could be from the 70's or 80's and still being reused and keeping new materials dug up, melted down, form, labelled and transported as it re-use lifespan is long.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that this logic really only works if you're able to obtain glass bottles from the 70s or 80s.

And never drop one.

and this:

Plastic Bottles
Total Energy to Produce, Package, Transport:
32 MJ/16 oz bottle
More expensive to produce, less expensive to transport.

Glass Bottles
Total Energy to Produce, Package, Transport:
34 MJ/16 oz bottle

And a quick correction: PET is made from (amongst other things) natural gas, not oil. Natural gas is obviously non-renewable so that sucks but is still not as pollutive as being petroleum based.

We as brewers make up a tiny proportion of PET bottle usage, and us brewers reuse the bottles, as opposed to soft drink consumers that chuck them out, either in the recycling or just in the bin.

x2

Homebrewing really is the most efficient way of consuming beer. Not only do we re-use our bottles, but our beer doesnt need to be trucked in from interstate breweries or shipped in all the way from europe to the bottleshop.... and I reckon even with all the water we use for sanitizing, cooling etc it would still be a fraction compared to what the big breweries and bottle factories would use up to make a case of beer.

In a recent thread I think it was pretty clearly demonstrated that the big boys whip us in the water conservation stakes.

We have much higher water consumption than the megabreweries, but in energy consumption we win convincingly (NOTE: This is true when comparing a person brewing beer at home to a person purchasing cartons of beer.)

In a recent thread I think it was pretty clearly demonstrated that the big boys whip us in the water conservation stakes.

Just a quick "un" thought.
Do you reckon these big commercial breweries would have a "pretty good" price on water with the water companies? ie. South East Water down your way.
I wonder?

Just a quick "un" thought.
Do you reckon these big commercial breweries would have a "pretty good" price on water with the water companies? ie. South East Water down your way.
I wonder?

As with most commercial agreements, a much better price can always be negotiated than that paid by the individual. We shouldn't beleive for a minute that big industry (like a brewery) woud engage in water-saving methods for the environment, it would purely be to increase their revenue. Of course they might try and sell it to the public as being Eco-Friendly and get green points in the public's eye but doubtful that would be the impetus.

we should get together for a bulk water buy... :wacko:

Ever thought about the carbon foot print of broad acre croping and the emitions generated shipping grain products? It would be amongst the highest C02 emition figures in the world, then the grain products are re distributed and processed to make other food products, more emitions, or used as live stock feed, more emitions. Industries are split when calculating C02 emitions but we all consume these products in one way or another and if we want or have to use these products then we are all responsible. This is getting way of the subject of PET bottle production, but don't kid your self your enviromentally green when it comes to home brewing. I will probably cop a verbal flogging for this but who care's, let's enjoy our home brewing for what it is, yumy beer. cheers

I'm trying to increase my carbon footprint. :ph34r:

Don't people run their water from the chiller and cleaning over the lawn or garden to water it? I'd think that was environmentally friendly, needs watering anyway.

Edit: At least by reusing the bottles, the energy in not being used to make new ones all the time.

Gavo.

I prepared to accept that I cannot live on this planet in our current capitalist situation without leaving some kind of footprint. Some people say that change should come from the individual, but realistically saving the environment is only going to happen with legislation, not by making every man woman and child feel horrendously guilty each time they bring home a plastic bag weighing 0.1g.

I want to care for the world, but I'm not being made feel guilty for not being a hippy.

I reuse PET bottles because they are good, not because it is green.

Ever thought about the carbon foot print of broad acre croping and the emitions generated shipping grain products? It would be amongst the highest C02 emition figures in the world, then the grain products are re distributed and processed to make other food products, more emitions, or used as live stock feed, more emitions. Industries are split when calculating C02 emitions but we all consume these products in one way or another and if we want or have to use these products then we are all responsible. This is getting way of the subject of PET bottle production, but don't kid your self your enviromentally green when it comes to home brewing. I will probably cop a verbal flogging for this but who care's, let's enjoy our home brewing for what it is, yumy beer. cheers

Excuse my brashness, and forgive me if I offend by saying.... your argument is bullshit. If it was "Beer Drinkers vs Non-Beer Drinkers" then sure, you have a point. However, as far as rattling on about barley production is concerned, the grain is still being produced, whether it be for the major breweries or the HBS market. I should clarify that I speak of the grain specific to beer production, and malting specifically for beer production. If you are a beer drinker, you are tapping into that small percentage of barley production, it doesn't matter how you go about getting to the stage of having a cold one in front of you.

It appears that this thread is becoming a mirror for the topic raised recently >Here< , but I don't think that was the OP's intention, rather he was being more specific about PET.

As far as recycling is concerned, many people fail to think about the energy consumed in recycling glass, and the inherent issues (see BribieG's post) with non-compatible variants - for example a broken wine glass should not go in the recycling, allegedly it screws with the mix.

Re-USE of existing bottles is clearly the most logical step. Older guys here will remember when the 'milko' used to come to the front porch and deliver bottles of milk, and pick up the empties. Those bottles were taken back to the very same place that the 'milko' picked up his next full inventory for the day, and the cycle was most likely a great system of RE-USE. Some countries in Asia still go with this re-use method with soft drinks (Pakistan, Iran) and also beer (in Malaysia). It might be wrongly moaned about that all these empty bottles are being shipped at a cost of diesel pollution, but no.... just like the old milko's, the drivers aren't making a special trip for just the empties, they pick them up every time they deliver a new shipment of full beverages. The comparatives small increase in a truck's fuel usage with a load of empties is NOTHING compared to he energy/emissions created by a glass recycling industry. Compared to the manufacture of new bottles, there's simply no contest.

The new trendy movement of recycling is only as good as a society's understanding of how things work. I shake my head in disdain when I hear people say "Oh it's OK to buy shit with X amount of packaging, cos it gets recycled". Err, dickheads, how about you make an active choice to purchase stuff/live a lifestyle without supporting the packaging industry to start with ! Let me give you an example (one of many) - cold cuts of smoked ham. So many people buy those pathetic little "Primo" blister packs that are enough for about three sandwiches, instead of doing to the Deli counter in the very same supermarket, and getting some cold cuts that get wrapped in a thin film of plastic and then a small sheet of butcher's paper. Why ? This (ie the Primo" blister pack) sort of retailing & marketed product is a goddamn environmental disaster.

I'm off to look for some statistics related to this topic, so I'll momentarily end this rant here.

I prepared to accept that I cannot live on this planet in our current capitalist situation without leaving some kind of footprint. Some people say that change should come from the individual, but realistically saving the environment is only going to happen with legislation, not by making every man woman and child feel horrendously guilty each time they bring home a plastic bag weighing 0.1g.

I want to care for the world, but I'm not being made feel guilty for not being a hippy.

I reuse PET bottles because they are good, not because it is green.

Yea, it's all about legislation, don't you worry about doing a damn thing. Your consumption is merely a drop in the ocean of humanity, right ? If all 6 billion drops of water in this expanse of human existence thought a little bit more, it get you off the hook.

You mentioned 'guilty' twice in your post, while claiming not to feel it. Of course we're all leaving some sort of footprint (if you want to use that term). Hey, don't even think about you own life, and what little difference those shopping bags make to you. Don't even think about your kids, present or future. But start examining the state of the world in the time of your grandkids, perhaps (or if your an older guy, your grandkid's grandkids)

Yea, it's all about legislation, don't you worry about doing a damn thing. Your consumption is merely a drop in the ocean of humanity, right ? If all 6 billion drops of water in this expanse of human existence thought a little bit more, it get you off the hook.

You mentioned 'guilty' twice in your post, while claiming not to feel it. Of course we're all leaving some sort of footprint (if you want to use that term). Hey, don't even think about you own life, and what little difference those shopping bags make to you. Don't even think about your kids, present or future. But start examining the state of the world in the time of your grandkids, perhaps (or if your an older guy, your grandkid's grandkids)

How exactly are plastic bags produced now going to ruin my great grandchildren's lives? My car ... now that might. But I've tried to buy a green one - there aren't any. There's no clean power either. But at least I don't use shopping bags :rolleyes: .

I like watching the "Mom" at the Mall get out of her Toyota Landcruiser V8 and then gather her green shopping bags ... there's a lot of people who think they are doing their bit when they are actually doing worse than nothing.

I'm chosing my battles. Plastic bags ain't one of them. If anything, plastic in landfill in a carbon sink.

How exactly are plastic bags produced now going to ruin my great grandchildren's lives?

Wow, AHB is accessible from Mars now ? I can only conclude that you haven't been living here on earth.

Edit:

Statement from the Aust Govt. Dept of Environment, Water & Heritage
In 2005, Australians used 3.92 billion lightweight single use high density polyethylene (HDPE) bags. 2.14 billion of these came from supermarkets, while the others were used by fast food restaurants, service stations, convenience stores and liquor stores and other shops.

So, you think this has no effect on the future of this planet ? Keep in mind this figure is for Australia only. Your consumption (and honestly, mine too) helps to make up these figures.

Thoughts?

Pete, Im very suspcious of the water use figures, simply because every time I hear how much water it takes to make a plastic water bottle, its a different number.

Ive heard everything from 1.5 through to 16+ litres. I suspect in many cases its simply creating facts to back up a good opinion.

Renegade; you miss read my point, I am not making an argument about home brewers V commercial brewers and I'm not talking about barley production alone. I was suggesting only that what we do as home brewers is insignificant compared to broard acre cropping and the on flow of produce and product. If you get your head out of joint over not understanding then thats your problem. Cheers big ears. :

Back