Perlick Tap Maintainence

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, with the new seal kit its the best its ever worked. Both in feel and non drippyness. Should be able to spend some more time in the beer room over my holidays, going to drop the pressure on that tap, do a pour and see if it drips like it used to after a low pressure pour.

bradsbrew said:
Yep, with the new seal kit its the best its ever worked. Both in feel and non drippyness. Should be able to spend some more time in the beer room over my holidays, going to drop the pressure on that tap, do a pour and see if it drips like it used to after a low pressure pour.
So was it installed back to front Brad? Had an older one brought into the shop a couple of weeks ago and the guy couldn't get it to stop dripping. It was installed back to front somehow. Easy fix after over a year of frustration for him.

They should never drip.

No this one was around the right way. I have found that one of the taps drips after I pour at very low pressure. Hopefully get to resealing it over my holidays.

One of my taps has had a longstanding weep, even though I couldn't find any nicks in an o-ring. I will be grabbing some of these seal kits shortly. When it comes to assembling, I will also have a look for any manufacture imperfections on the 'pearl' bit of the valve.

I have had the same issue with the low pressure leaks. Unfortunately it is a bit of a gap in the otherwise-elegant forward-sealing design. For regular serving pressures though, they are nearly flawless. Low pressure serving is probably more reliable with a sprung tap.

Anyone else have tips for keeping these things working well?

I’ve posted some of this info regarding 575 Perlick Creamers before but now that Brad’s started a dedicated thread on the “Problem” I’ll add my 2-cents worth here as well. :)

The dripping with Perlick Creamers is mostly caused by the creaming function stretching the floating O-ring at the back of the tap over time thus causing the tap to drip slightly.
The solution is to replace the floating O-ring whenever the tap starts to drip.

This takes me less than 5 minutes a tap & if done in conjunction with cleaning out your beer lines kills two birds with the one stone.
Too easy!

The stretched O-ring will soon shrink back to its original size & be ready to replace the replacement when it starts to leak depending on how often the creamer function is used.

I also found that when using long tap handles you can lose the “feel” of the tap when closing by sometimes moving past the closed position & into the start of the creamer function. This can also cause the tap to drip slightly if you’re not careful.

This never happens to me when using the standard length tap handles which give a more positive “feel” when closing & giving a satisfying “thunk” when sitting properly in the closed position.

I found a forum for professional brewers/bar owners the other week where some were complaining that their new Perlick 545 Flow Control taps leaked. Maybe all Perlick taps are on the nose? :D

I found a forum for professional brewers/bar owners the other week where some were complaining that their new Perlick 545 Flow Control taps leaked. Maybe all Perlick taps are on the nose? :D

Have you got a reference link for that please? A bit interested in one of these but that would take the joy right out of it for me.

Picked up these little beautied with my latest order from National Homebrew. Great little bungs to keep the flies out with a brush to keep the inside clean.

20140104_201816.jpg

20140104_201825.jpg

bradsbrew said:
Picked up these little beautied with my latest order from National Homebrew. Great little bungs to keep the flies out with a brush to keep the inside clean.
What are they called, I cannot find them

My perlick flow controls are the best thing I have ever bought for my keg system :beerbang:

QldKev said:
What are they called, I cannot find them
Pretty sure they are called Tap Plugs. I was hassling Martin about the SS flow controls via PM when he mentioned them so I got them added to my order. They may not be on the web page yet.

jc64 said:
My perlick flow controls are the best thing I have ever bought for my keg system :beerbang:
Mee threee

Screwy

PS: I 12 months have not had a problem with my 545PC faucets leaking and no seals replaced. My kegerator is used commercially a number of times a year, so they get a workout.

Must get some of those fly bung thingies off Martin

I've also never had an issue with my Perlick 545PC taps, great taps and only second to a Celi.

I have found that if you over tighten the bonnet it does not allow the ball to seal tightly on the o-ring.

Perlick tap parts.png

Back