Perking up my AIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmclaren11

Reaction score
Gday all,

I am carbing up my first AG AIPA and on early tastes from the keg, it lacks the aroma I was after. The flavour is okay - well balanced but could be better. I went for a simple grist and the recipe was as follows (actually ended up SG of about 1061 and 6% ABV):

Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.95 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7 (EBC): 19.0
Bitterness (IBU): 51.4 (Average)

92.5% BB Pale Ale Malt
7.5% JW Crystal 60

0.7 g/L Magnum (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/L Citra (11.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) Dry hop for 3-4 days after Krausen has subsided

0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I definately feel I have not thrown enough hops at this one.

I thought 2g/l of Simcoe dry hopped would be enough to thrown a nice aroma but it hasn't.

Thinking of throwing some Mosaic in the keg in a suspended hop bag for a few days to see if it gives it more aroma/flavour. Only kegged about 15 litres so thinking about 20g?

Thoughts on this amount or I am being shy again with the hop additions!?

If your not happy with it...why not. This won't be the last ipa/all grain beer you make....lol.

Do you have any centennial? 10g mosaic (or citra) and 10g centennial.. 3 days, if it needs a bit more, go in again with same of citra/simcoe.. Keg hopping rocks

....and so begins the journey into hopdimum.

I would appreciate this beer for its balance and malt profile rather than dry hop it. Make the beer again and use more hops at 0 minutes and let it sit for a half hour after whirlpool.
If you want hops, brew an IPA.

paulmclaren11 said:
Gday all,

I am carbing up my first AG AIPA and on early tastes from the keg, it lacks the aroma I was after. The flavour is okay - well balanced but could be better. I went for a simple grist and the recipe was as follows (actually ended up SG of about 1061 and 6% ABV):

Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.95 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7 (EBC): 19.0
Bitterness (IBU): 51.4 (Average)

92.5% BB Pale Ale Malt
7.5% JW Crystal 60

0.7 g/L Magnum (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/L Citra (11.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/L Simcoe (12.6% Alpha) Dry hop for 3-4 days after Krausen has subsided

0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I definately feel I have not thrown enough hops at this one.

I thought 2g/l of Simcoe dry hopped would be enough to thrown a nice aroma but it hasn't.

Thinking of throwing some Mosaic in the keg in a suspended hop bag for a few days to see if it gives it more aroma/flavour. Only kegged about 15 litres so thinking about 20g?

Thoughts on this amount or I am being shy again with the hop additions!?
i used to err on the side of caution with hops. thinking to myself, oh i'll go easy because people say you can easily overdo it. blasphemy! from experience i can tell you mate, go all out. you like it hoppy? add em. 100% i just made an IPA with 6g/L citra dry hopped cos i bottle (so it loses some of that nose-kick), and it was spectacular. a beautiful aroma that has lasted. i'd look to increase your simcoe to 3g/L dry hopped and also throw in some of your citra (to at LEAST 2g/L on top of that)...it is amazing for dry hopping.

My 2c…..

Try using a mix of hops; either different times as single hops (i.e. Cascade at 10min, Amarillo at flameout etc) or preparing a mix (20g of 4-5 hops) and adding it at various stages. I find using a mix of hops adds complexity/flavours that a single hop lacks.

Dry hop at different stages; a dry hop late in the ferment and then another after crash chill has given me good results.

Cheers all for the replies... I think I will chuck in a mix of 2 hops for a few days and see how it turns out.

I take the point that I haven't hit it hard enough with late hop additions and it comes through in the end product. It's not a terrible beer, just not what I wanted.

I ended up taking the advice not to do anything to this beer and take it for what it is and learn from it.

A mate of mine who came over on the weekend thought the beer was awesome - and he is a hophead beer geek so I was well pleased with his comments.

We decided it was more of a strong ale - not far off an IPA hop wise but still a really nice balanced drop.

I agree with the comment about crystal - 7% was too much but for the way this beer turned out it suited it.

I rarely brew stronger ales (even though I love them...) as they knock me around too much and get me in trouble with the good wife - but next time I do brew an AIPA I have a better idea of what is needed.

Cheers :super:

Latest posts

Back