Quantcast

Perforated Stainless Steel Sheeting, False Bottoms

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

BrissyBrew

MashMaster
Reaction score
I am lookng for a source of perforated stainless steel sheeting, I know in the US that the likes of SABCO etc make perforated stainless steel false bottoms, but I was thinking that one should be able to locate a local supplier of perforated stainless steel sheeting and cut it to size, and hinge the material if necessary.

Anybody who has made there own? or can suggest a good source ?
If it has to be purchased in bulk maybe a few people pool together.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Security screen manufacturers have either S/S woven or perferated sheets. Solomons of Capalaba have the sheet & more than happy to sell it to you....

BrissyBrew

MashMaster
Reaction score
I guess stainless steel mesh woven mesh would be okay if I made a frame to support it, they also sell performated SS sheeting, what is it like % open any experiance in using it, pictures.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Dont worry about the SS bottom this is the answer SS Braid

Trust me Pumpy

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Vlad ,

The gravel Buster bitter was the clearest beer I havve ever made infact it was the best beer I have ever made with exception of my Vienna lager and perhaps the odd brown ale .

I only just tasted it the other weekend and have been exploring other methods of manifolds .

But I may use the gravel not so much as a an alternative for a manifold but as a filter for the wort .

Pumpy

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
Pumpy said:
The gravel Buster bitter was the clearest beer I havve ever made infact it was the best beer I have ever made with exception of my Vienna lager and perhaps the odd brown ale .
[post="57514"][/post]​
Was that straight or on the rocks?

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Sos you have come back to haunt me on my revolutionary new idea which a number of well known brewers on this site have emauiled me for more information.

Keeping up with the technology

Gravel inc.

Pumpy

Linz

Reaction score
Was that "E-mailed" or "E-mauled"?

Just taking the opportunity of the mis-spelt ;-P

kungy

Reaction score
BrissyBrew said:
I am lookng for a source of perforated stainless steel sheeting, I know in the US that the likes of SABCO etc make perforated stainless steel false bottoms, but I was thinking that one should be able to locate a local supplier of perforated stainless steel sheeting and cut it to size, and hinge the material if necessary.

Anybody who has made there own? or can suggest a good source ?
If it has to be purchased in bulk maybe a few people pool together.
[post="57467"][/post]​
I know this does not help you, but out of interest do you go under the name of "downunderbrewer" on the northern brewer forum.

Will

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
BrissyBrew said:
I guess stainless steel mesh woven mesh would be okay if I made a frame to support it, they also sell performated SS sheeting, what is it like % open any experiance in using it, pictures.
[post="57495"][/post]​
I had a mate of mine make one for me using the sheet from Solomons, but then ended up buying a complete 2nd hand AG system before I ever used it. Though according to the guy I gave it to, it works great. No pics sorry, but it's designed to appear vitually invisible on your windows, so the hole ratio is very high...

just goggled a link http://www.solomonssecurityandblinds.com.a...clearshield.htm

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Pumpy,

How about stainless ballbearings/shot instead of gravel. Now that would look nice.

Borret

BrissyBrew

MashMaster
Reaction score
Hi there Will yep I do go by the name downunderbrewer on northernbrewer website, I only just discovered aussiehomebrewer in the last week or so.

I have thought about the SS braid, still worried about manfold design in that instance due to an inproportionate flow rate near the outlet. As far as SS braid goes, I have thought about star shaped ones, wheel and spoked like a bicycle wheel that kind of thing. I have eve thought about one continuous spiral, remembering the engery effciency of the spiral.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Actually pumpy, you missed a golden opportunity. You should have kept the swarf off your stainless mill rollers and chucked that in the bottom of your tun.

Borret

scott70

Reaction score
metal mesh in sydney make perforated sheets
http://www.metalmesh.com.au/
I emailed them for a quote for 40cm diameter disc with 2mm holes and they told me $350 delivered and be more than happy to plasma cut it. I didn't take up the offer.
"more beer" in the states will custom make you one, up to 20 inches for about $70 USD.
I ended up getting a $14 dollar 40cm stainless steel serving tray( 2mm thick) from a catering supplier which fits perfeclty in the bottom of my mash tun. I then got a metal punch and drill and put heaps of 2mm holes in it and 4 stainless steel bolts for support legs. I would have used a braid set up but the mash tun has a heating element in the bottom ( old boiler). I just heat up the water in the mash tun and then add the grains.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Brizzy brew.

I'm with you on the spoked wheel idea. Have already welded up the stainless t pieces to do it for my system as I plan to have a 'wheel' of braid around the ouside set in from the edge of the tun.. Have a nice piece of hexagonal stainless bar to use for the hub too. Was going to put a vertical riser and elbow false bottom style so it can sit easy in the conical bottom of a keg.. The only killer is going to be the number of ss hose clamps that are involved. They end up pricey.

Borret

Stagger

Reaction score
Try your local sheet metal manufacturer some times they will have off cuts.

Stagger

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Borret ,

The stainless ball bearings is actually a very good idea ,I am not joking I think that would do the trick, (where can I get some) and the swarf from cutting my grain mill rollers is another excellent method for filtering the wort,you can actually buy something similar , have you ever seen those SS pot scrubbers in Woolworths

I reckon 20 of them in the bottom of the Tun would filter without a false bottom . cheap too !!!

Borret now you are thinking outside the square these are the simple ideas that could revolutionise home brewing and bring within the technology of the common folk ( Not that I am saying Ross is common ).

Pumpy

Latest posts