Passport application query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In '98 I was in Bangkok for a couple weeks and ended up at this high-rise mall one day, 20 stories tall with an inner atrium all the way to the top. The bottom few floors were your entertainment precinct, then the next few were food, then shopping, then something euphemistically labelled "business". So I grabbed the elevator to the 15th floor and explored up to the 18th. There, down a hallway with one flickering florescent fixture, in the very dusty window of an office with the dirty blinds drawn, was a piece of cardboard torn off a box, hand lettered with a marker, "Plastec Surgry". So if you ever need some...

Did you go and watch the ping pong.....you know....the one that doesnt use and bats...

I was told that the movie may not have been accurate...

Untill a mate told me that the movie didnt use enough ping ping balls......

thedragon said:
Truman, how's the holiday going?
Going great mate. Bloody hot and humid though. I lived in Broome for 18 years but must have become acclimatised to Melbourne weather because I'm not used to this heat and humidity anymore. But it's pissing with rain today so at least it's cooler.

Been to the Belgian beer cafe and tried a few Belgian beers I've never heard of. And also went to Full Moon Brew Works in Jungceylon. There dark ale was great.

But Im enjoying drinking an ice cold Chang or Singha around the pool. I think in this weather even VB would be refreshing.

We went for a walk from our hotel in Karon one night and walked through an alleyway full of clothes shops then stumbled upon a guy with a baby elephant. So paid the 100 baht so the missus could have photos with her.

Bangla road was an experience. Got hassled full on and even after saying no thanks they don't leave you alone. So then started saying Mai Krap. Which is no in Thai, and they left us alone assuming your either expats or have been coming for years.

Also did a sunrise trip to Phi Phi Island. That was great, we were ahead of the Russian boats all day.

Speaking of Russians the ones we've seen have to be the most rudest arrogant people I've ever met. (Apologies to anyone who's Russian but that's what we've seen over here) one day by the pool this Russian mother daughter sat there deck chairs right in front of another lady so they could be in the shade. Didn't even acknowledge her or ask. The daughter was hot though wearing a G string bikini so I wouldn't have minded if she had done it in from of us..lol. And they barter for street food even.

Had a couple of nice massages one was from an awesomely hot Thai but the missus was right next to me so no happy endings..lol

Speaking of happy endings is that something that any of the street massage places will do if you ask or pay the extra money? Or is that only certain back alley type joints? Not that I'm going to being here with the missus but we were talking about it and curious to know how one would go about getting a happy ending in Thailand?

Truman, shoulds like you're having a great trip. You've picked a great spot for your first overseas adventure.

Not sure about a happy ending massage, I suppose that you just need to ask and pay an extra 100 baht. Although I'm not sure if would go down well if you asked for it on the beach ;-)

Stay safe!

Truman, this morning the reports are that curfews are country wide including Phuket, can you confirm this? My wife and I are going over in 10 days time and would love to here what the feel of the place is now.
Hope you stay safe mate.

Yeah, actually, military coups aren't that friendly to tourists, even ones that are a few hundred kilometers away. Be careful mate.

AndrewQLD said:
Truman, this morning the reports are that curfews are country wide including Phuket, can you confirm this? My wife and I are going over in 10 days time and would love to here what the feel of the place is now.
Hope you stay safe mate.
Marshall law has been declared across the entire nation but it's not a coup. Just the military trying to resolve the last few months of political rallies and violence that have been occurring in Bangkok. It's business as usual in Phuket.

Read this article here.

http://www.eturbonews.com/45982/visiting-thailand-what-martial-law-means-tourists

The Aussie dollar has just risen from 28 to 33 Baht which is excellent.
We were out having dinner last night and no problems at all.

I was in Thailand in 2008 during the civil unrest that saw the closure of the airport and multiple deaths.

Down south on Samui, you wouldn't have known that anything was going on. It'd have been the same in Phuket.

Stay safe Truman. Looking forward to hearing that you're safely back in S.E. Melbourne ;)

Were back in Karon tonight and not quite business as usual. All the bars shops clubs etc shut at around 9.30-10.00 PM and the police are driving around making sure no one is open.
At 10 PM they were using a megaphone telling people to go home.
We were just standing out the front of the hotel and there are a few stragglers walking home and some Thais still packing up their shops etc which the police seem to be ok about providing your heading back to your motel, or catching a taxi to head to the airport.
Looks like a ghost town around here. It's the same everywhere including Bangla road.
All the resorts shut their bars and restuarants at 9.30 too.
Even the entire TV network is shutdown.

I asked a Thai why they have to shut down here in Phuket when the political unrest is in Bangkok and she said because we are all one kingdom.
They say it will be only for a few days at most. I feel sorry for them as they are already suffering a slump in tourism had a bad on-season and now that it's offseason it's even worse. Then add this.
Although working 10.00 am to 11.00 PM 6 days a week for around $250 a month some of them are probably glad to get a few hours off work early.

Although the missus and I were just playing pool in one of the resorts bars and they were still serving drinks.

Back