Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geoffi - just noticed the max pressure that the Aqua grden sprayers will take - its written on the side in all those green boxy things that are supposed to be instructions. One of them in the second row seems to show that the release valve will actuate at 25psi. So you'll get your pilsners out of it yet!

Y'know what they say..."When all else fails, read the instructions."

Hahaha, yeah...but its always more fun figuring things out for yourself isnt it? I only noticed because the thing is sitting right next to me, and I turned around to check the temp of a fermenter thats awaiting racking...and BAM! Instant info!

Just pulling apart my Aqua Bunnings el cheapo sprayer for my party keg setup & have found that the ss extension on the sprayer itself will a great replacement if you do not have a spare corney dip tube to drop your Dixell probe inside your fermenter. Not sure re MashMaster probes but assume they are more or less the same size?

:beer:

I was in Supercheap Auto the other day and noticed that they had single gauge 'air' regulators for sale pretty cheap. There were two models, one was $25 and one was $30 and both were adjustable.

I think these would be intended for air tools and compressors, but is there any reason they can't be adapted to use for CO2 use for a party keg? If I recall, they went up to about 60PSI. I wonder if they be able to regulate the pressure from a Soda Stream cylinder without blowing apart?

Don't know Afro, but i do know that because co2 is so cold, it can freeze up parts that are not designed for use with it.

I was in Supercheap Auto the other day and noticed that they had single gauge 'air' regulators for sale pretty cheap. There were two models, one was $25 and one was $30 and both were adjustable.

I think these would be intended for air tools and compressors, but is there any reason they can't be adapted to use for CO2 use for a party keg? If I recall, they went up to about 60PSI. I wonder if they be able to regulate the pressure from a Soda Stream cylinder without blowing apart?

Co2 in liquid for is at 800psi so I would say no. There have been talk of using them as secondary regulators, for example use you co2 reg to drop the pressure down to 20psi or something the air reg can handle and use it to drop the pressure down to keg pressure. This would allow you to have a couple of the air regs on your setup and have kegs set at different pressures.

i plan to make a party keg out of a presure sprayer and came across this site http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Gear/GSa...CheapKegs.shtml and quite like the setup because if you know that the hole keg is going to be gone at a party you cand just use a hand pump as beer will be gone before it can oxidize but i am wondering is there a better way that i could carbonate the beer like capturing co2 from brewing and pumping it in like it says at this site http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonati...apturingCo2.htm

heya Jye...
i'm using a brumby tap connected straight to the mini/corny keg, so no beer line.
i would usually prime my kegs with dex and then use the charger to dispense. So all you are ever really doing is replacing the lost volume in the keg with CO2 from the charger. to tell you the truth i would know what pressure its serving at. but it doesnt matter, if you want a fast pouring tap, give the charger a big squirt.. if you want a placid pour, give a quick squirt.
is that what you were asking :lol:...?

KoNG

I'd be interested in going the same kind of set up initally (easier to get through the Boss) and I would primarily use it for parties anyway...aside from the tap, the injector and the keg, what do you need?

Cheers
JB

Quick update on my sprayer kegs.

I've just tested one of the larger ones with a compressor. I got it to 20psi before the relief valve kicked in. I've left it sitting for a while and the pressure seems to be holding. As a non-kegger, I'm unsure of what psi a standard kegging system operates at, but I'm guessing it's a fair bit lower than 20.

I'm just about to fill this one with my smoky Altbier. I think this should be carbonated more than a bitter, so I'm going to push the priming up and see what happens.

Sorry Captain Pants, just saw your post.
you'll need the special 'shank' to go with your tap and QD (but you buy it as a package usually) and you'll need a gas QD for your charger.
thats it really, PM me if you need anything else

Quick update on my sprayer kegs.

I've just tested one of the larger ones with a compressor. I got it to 20psi before the relief valve kicked in. I've left it sitting for a while and the pressure seems to be holding. As a non-kegger, I'm unsure of what psi a standard kegging system operates at, but I'm guessing it's a fair bit lower than 20.

I'm just about to fill this one with my smoky Altbier. I think this should be carbonated more than a bitter, so I'm going to push the priming up and see what happens.

Yep, less than 20PSI in general.

I have a sprayer party keg that works a treat. It was operating on a gutted soda stream "squirt of C02" system for pressure, but I just updated to a Taylor plug gas input so i can run it off a reg.

Ive got the whole thing sorted now and I can even counter pressure fill the thing from a normal keg so I dont lose any fizz.

I've never primed in one though, just juggling the numbers though.

If you need say 17C too make sure the yeast work enough to carbonate, then the maximum dissolved C)2 you will get before the 20psi relief valve kicks in is going to be 2.2 volumes, a little low for a normal beer but OK.

If you use a yeast that works better at low temps like Nottingham or something or a lager yeast, and can make it gas up at 13C or below, you will get 2.5 volumes.

At 20 psi, you'll struggle to get a naturally carbonated beer with a high level of fizz like a hefe or a Wit because the low temps required to hold the gas in will be too low for even lager yeast to work at.

If you want to force carb, its a different story, just chill that baby down to serving temp and fizz it up. It'll see you right.

Thirsty

Yep, less than 20PSI in general.

I have a sprayer party keg that works a treat. It was operating on a gutted soda stream "squirt of C02" system for pressure, but I just updated to a Taylor plug gas input so i can run it off a reg.

Ive got the whole thing sorted now and I can even counter pressure fill the thing from a normal keg so I don't lose any fizz.

I've never primed in one though, just juggling the numbers though.

If you need say 17C too make sure the yeast work enough to carbonate, then the maximum dissolved C)2 you will get before the 20psi relief valve kicks in is going to be 2.2 volumes, a little low for a normal beer but OK.

If you use a yeast that works better at low temps like Nottingham or something or a lager yeast, and can make it gas up at 13C or below, you will get 2.5 volumes.

At 20 psi, you'll struggle to get a naturally carbonated beer with a high level of fizz like a Hefe or a Wit because the low temps required to hold the gas in will be too low for even lager yeast to work at.

If you want to force carb, its a different story, just chill that baby down to serving temp and fizz it up. It'll see you right.

Thirsty

Geoffi,

Have just completed & filled my El Cheapo party keg for the Qld Christmas-Case-in-July (If I can make it?)

If the trial run all works out with my initial (Naturally carbonated) keg, next time I aim to force carbonate my El Cheapo by gassing with a Schroeder tire pressure thingy on one end & connected to my gas QD's on the other for a day or so.

I couldn't swear that it was exactly 20psi. It was about there, maybe a bit higher. It seems a reasonably accurate gauge, but these things are a bit like bathroom scales. They often seem to have their own 'perspective'. Anyway I suppose you can only expect so much precise quality control from a $15 Chinese sprayer.

PoMo EDIT: Thread cleanup.

Thirsty,

Have just completed & filled my El Cheapo party keg for the Qld Christmas-Case-in-July (If I can make it?)

<snip>

If the trial run all works out with my initial (Naturally carbonated) keg, next time I aim to force carbonate my El Cheapo by gassing with a Schroeder tire pressure thingy on one end & connected to my gas QD's on the other for a day or so.

You may have noticed that I am not a big admirer of political correctness. Sorry about that. :(

The relief valve on mine starts to leak at just under 30psi, but once it starts to go, it wont stop till the keg is down to about 20-22 (unless you poke it a bit anyway) Its not adjustable in any way, you just get what you get.

I never bothered to connect mine long term to the gas when it was running on the schrader valve. Just didn't trust the connection to not leak. I used to just pressure it up to a few psi more than the "right" pressure for the C02 level I wanted, shake the bejeezus out of it and repeat till the pressure stopped dropping. Pour a test glass and its down to the "right" pressure.

Never worried about keeping it at any particular pressure when I actually had it out and about, just a squirt of C02 when the pour slowed down to much. But before it went back in the fridge at home (if I didn't finish it off) always returned it to the correct pressure + a couple for good measure.

Course... I've just been measuring it with a cheap Chinese tyre pressure gauge so far. I'll see how it stacks up when I connect the reg to it. Should be OK. All my Chinese stuff works fine and is extremely economical.

At any rate, good luck with the sprayer/keg they work pretty damn well, and the y certainly start a conversation at a party!!

Cheers

Thirsty

PoMo EDIT: Thread cleanup.

Hi,

can people possibly post pics of their pressure sprayer gas setups (I've got an old Soda Stream "button", but can't seem to seal the gas line properly) so I can get some picture of what I need. Also, the Schrader Valves - where does one get one, and what's the best way to make these airtight?

I've got an old car tyre valve for my gas input, but I'm not sure how well it's working (ie: I've had a couple of loud "POPs whist testing.....)". Where did everyone else source their valves etc from?

Cheers

Nick

Hi,

can people possibly post pics of their pressure sprayer gas setups (I've got an old Soda Stream "button", but can't seem to seal the gas line properly) so I can get some picture of what I need. Also, the Schrader Valves - where does one get one, and what's the best way to make these airtight?

I've got an old car tyre valve for my gas input, but I'm not sure how well it's working (ie: I've had a couple of loud "POPs whist testing.....)". Where did everyone else source their valves etc from?

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Tyre valves wear just like everything else. Got my new stainless steel (4-wheel drive) valve from a tyre place up the road for $5. The Schraeder came from SuperCheap Auto for under $4.
As you can see from the pic all I did to ensure a good seal was to slip the gas line inside a short length of compatable plastic tubing (Superglued together) then use a ss worm drive to clamp the tubing to the "trigger" housing. The crimp over the tubing is just a bit of overkill. :)
The gas line fits so tightly over the Schraeder that there is really no need for a crimp (I hope :D )

IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0377.JPG

what did people do with the original pump.

also if you know that the beer will be gone in a night why not just use a bike pump to re gas it i am sure that people at the party can drown the keg before it goes bad

what did people do with the original pump.

also if you know that the beer will be gone in a night why not just use a bike pump to re gas it i am sure that people at the party can drown the keg before it goes bad

I suppose that's right if the beer is carbonated already. Why not just force it out with air if it's just for one night?

I left the pump in mine, but gave it all a really good clean first. Lots of grease inside.

do you use the pump in yours because i thought it would stir up the yeast pumping air into the beer it's self instead of surroundings

do you use the pump in yours because i thought it would stir up the yeast pumping air into the beer it's self instead of surroundings

Aha! That's the reason not to use the pump! (Although maybe if you're serving a Hefeweizen it wouldn't matter!)

However, does it still stand to reason that you could use air from, say, a standard bike pump rather than CO2 for a 'one night stand'?

What I do use the pump for is to pressurise the keg for cleaning so I can run water through the pickup tube etc.

Latest posts

Back