Partigyle Attemp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a reasonable assumption. Try the rice hulls, I use a 2lt jugful for a 23lt batch, it will be interesting to see if it helps with the grain bed temp, I know it does with mine but your system could give different results, if it works you won't have to worry about your return design.

Cheers
Andrew

Good disc thread chappo.
My first attempt at a partigyle got infected :( so I'm no help. But I did go KISS method and just used second runnings from my Pliny clone. Ashame I could taste test it.

Enjoying the discussion about HERMS and the theories and practices people employ.

I also think that the mash temp is very important as I think the chemistry of conversion takes place in the mash tun. Recirculating the wort thro a HERMS enables you to keep that temp fairly constant, depending on how you control and monitor the temps at the various points in your system.

My system is fairly manual, pumping thro a coil in a 10L urn. Its thermostat is pretty sensitive and maintains the temp of the water in it very well. I monitor the mash temp and use this to adjust the HERMS temp up or down as needed to keep the mash temp constant or to conduct step mashes or mash out.

The thermostat settings were arrived at thro heating trials and just using the system, but always using the mash tun temp as the most important guide as this is where the action is. It doesn't take long for the mash temps at different points in the tun to even out and remain pretty constant.

Once the desired mash temp is achieved I can pretty much walk away and get on with other brewing preparations.

Electronically controlled systems may work differently and may need to be monitored in a different way to achieve the required result. Everyone's system is a little different.

Interesting Poiter. I guess everyone's system is varying from simular to no where near simular :lol: . I reckon it's high time to have a HERMS discussion thread where us HERMies can discuss issues, problems, theories and possible solutions.

sounds like a reasonable assumption. Try the rice hulls, I use a 2lt jugful for a 23lt batch, it will be interesting to see if it helps with the grain bed temp, I know it does with mine but your system could give different results, if it works you won't have to worry about your return design.

Cheers
Andrew

Yep definitely time to sort this out. The more I think about it the more it makes a great deal of sense to me now. I'm definity going to try the hulls but on a house recipe as I will be able to pick up the difference. I really suspect it's the sparge arm design and position in the tun.

Good disc thread chappo.
My first attempt at a partigyle got infected :( so I'm no help. But I did go KISS method and just used second runnings from my Pliny clone. Ashame I could taste test it.

Bummer CM2! Well I'm hoping mine doesn't fall to the same fate. Sure was a great experience thou I'll definitely be doing it again soon. Was fun matching the singular mash/malt profile to 2 different beers.

Chap Chap

Yeah that is interesting. I use a sparge ring approx 220mm diameter which sits about 1" into the top of the grain bed

Not an expert by any means with HERMS units Chappo - but are you not better off having the ring just above the grain bed and mash in with extra water, so you have say 1 - 2 inches of water above the grain bed? This would result in the sparge ring being immersed but not disturbing the grain bed...

Merely my 2c...

After reading this thread & seeing what an enjoyable experience you had Chappo I'm getting keen on doing a partigyle when fermentation fridge space is available & interested in finding out how you set up your partigyle recipes in BeerSmith?

Two separate identical recipes then add\change the crucial information as the brewday progresses? :unsure:

TP

After reading this thread & seeing what an enjoyable experience you had Chappo I'm getting keen on doing a partigyle when fermentation fridge space is available & interested in finding out how you set up your partigyle recipes in BeerSmith?

Two separate identical recipes then add\change the crucial information as the brewday progresses? :unsure:

TP

Basically did my 1st runnings as the full recipe in BeerSmith and then copied the first recipe for the 2nd runnings but adjusted down the base malts to get to the OG measured, once it was dropped into the kettle off course. Not sure is this was the right thing to do but it was my work around on the day. Not sure if BeerSmith does partigyle but I am sure someone will have better suggestions. I was more worried about BU:GU ratio's etc.

Interesting tid bit is that I used almost exactly the same kg amount of malt as I would have done doing 2 separate brews. But I did enjoy it for something different.

Chap Chap

Basically did my 1st runnings as the full recipe in BeerSmith and then copied the first recipe for the 2nd runnings but adjusted down the base malts to get to the OG measured, once it was dropped into the kettle off course. Not sure is this was the right thing to do but it was my work around on the day. Not sure if BeerSmith does partigyle but I am sure someone will have better suggestions. I was more worried about BU:GU ratio's etc.

Interesting tid bit is that I used almost exactly the same kg amount of malt as I would have done doing 2 separate brews. But I did enjoy it for something different.

Chap Chap

Thanks mate. That's more or less what I suspected.
Perhaps someone with lots of BeerSmith expertise can expand on this?

TP

TP

Only done 1 partigyle after discussion with Stuster.

A site with some info and helpful links including partigyle calculators - Link

I was going for an IPA/pale ale combo but ended up with an IIPA after ballsing up the split. The pale ale ended up at 1.040 after adding 1/2kg of extract.

Nice link DrS! Thanks. I like the tables.

Kirem sent me a couple of links too. I'll see if he can resend them to me and I'll add them here.

Chap Chap

Top day chappo you have got me keen for aipa/apa partigyle so many hop choices, I done a 50lt on the same day as you and my tun was to the brim good idea for a keg filler.
My herms is similar to yours usually takes 5 min to stabilize tun temp to controller.

Top day chappo you have got me keen for aipa/apa partigyle so many hop choices, I done a 50lt on the same day as you and my tun was to the brim good idea for a keg filler.
My herms is similar to yours usually takes 5 min to stabilize tun temp to controller.

Give it ago Sav. I'm no expert obviously but it was fun.

BTW I canna noot open your PM from earlier today because you have a potty mouth and the net nanny at work won't let me see it so I'm not ignoring you ok!

Latest posts

Back