Palmers "How To Brew" in Metric (or other great books)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatbreaker

Reaction score
I've recently stared AGB and to fill my gaps I've been reading over http://www.howtobrew.com/ but I'm beginning to find it a little frustrating that the measurements are all in the imperial scale - along with that all of the formulae are following the imperial scale, not impossible to convert but TBH I'd rather get the most out of the book itself instead of spending time translating it.

So is this book available in the Metric Scale?

If it's not in the metric scale, is there another book that's just as good, if not more and is in the metric scale?

If such a book exists, I'd love to get my hands on a copy. That Palmer website is a great resource, but as you point out, half the time you spend converting units.

Is Palmer's really imperial or one of those colonial American measurements?

I think (will have to check) that he has metric conversions in the actual book.. Unless I'm thinking of new brewing lager beer?

I'm not home right now so maybe someone with the book on hand can answer?

It's almost all in imperial / usa measurements.

Being the compulsive obsessive character I am, I went through the entire copy of my book, and pencilled in the metric conversions into the margin.

Appendix H at the back of the book has some conversion tables.

Such books were meant to be written on. And/or have copious amounts of food and beverages spilled on them.

TimT said:
Such books were meant to be written on. And/or have copious amounts of food and beverages spilled on them.
The perfect beginning of a unique house strain there! A true brewers bible of sorts.

unfortunately, it's probably easiest for you to simply memorise a few of the basic units, in both scales, and use averages in between.

Another good book to read is "Yeast. The practical guide to beer fermentation". I borrowed it from Warra48 and will probably end up buying a copy for myself.
This copy will have multiple pencil marks and yeast cultures.

The perfect beginning of a unique house strain there...

I've done so much yeast and cheese-related activity in my kitchen lately that I'd probably be able to make more yoghurt simply by running some milk off the bench into a bowl, or make some beer by doing the same with wort. My beard is probably a ridiculously prolific colony for various beasties.

The problem of spillage is why good cookbooks really should have non-adhesive hardcovers. Using a Kindle while doing cooking would be the ultimate in foolishness - the printed book FTW!

The problem of converting imperial to metric comes up so often in cooking though that it would pay to just hang a simple conversion chart on the kitchen wall. Or have an easily available conversion chart, say, in the back of a book - chuck a bookmark in so you can just open it to that page whenever you need.

Black Devil Dog said:
The latest edition has both metric and imperial.
Yeah I have this myself and was thinking mine wasn't all imperial.

bookdepot for the win.... free shipping!

I got all my brewing books from there.

Those yanks are fu#%ed with their imperial system! Use 3 quarts of water per bushell of barley, and add 2 mickhairs of hops per gallon, boil-off rate will be half a gallon if your kettle is1.5 furlongs in diameter. GET STUFFED!
(no offense to Americans, I do like them) :)
So, since this post was first made, have any good brewing books with sensible measurements been published?

the website booko.com.au will give you the book price comparison (incl. shipping). The site is the brainchild of a former workmate, is good!

Get your calculator and convert it (or type it into google). It's not that difficult and there aren't too many compound units as we use specific gravity or degrees Plato across both imperial and metric for SG/FG.

Just work out a scalar conversion factor (eg 1 inch = 25.4mm; 1 quart = 0.946 L), put these into a spreadsheet and off you go.

Hpal said:
Those yanks are fu#%ed with their imperial system! Use 3 quarts of water per bushell of barley, and add 2 mickhairs of hops per gallon, boil-off rate will be half a gallon if your kettle is1.5 furlongs in diameter. GET STUFFED!
(no offense to Americans, I do like them) :)
So, since this post was first made, have any good brewing books with sensible measurements been published?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I can tell you doing something like thermodynamics in imperial units is the worst thing in the world. Converting BTUs (amount of energy needed to cool or heat one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit) per gallon per hour into watts per m3 per second took longer than the actual problem itself. When density and pressure come into things it makes me want to scratch my eyes out. There is no logical reasons for the imperial units which has no logical inter-relationship (base 12 instead of our base 10 number system).

Even when US books have both units listed DON'T BELIEVE THEM. I am currently reading Gordon Strong's new book and there are quite a few conversion errors, for example in a recipe he stated 18 lb of malt to be 4.5 kg. I think that metric is so foreign to them they just have no feel for the numbers. So in that respect I feel it is better to do your own conversions.

Back