Where To Source Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I ended up with the books, 'New Brewing Lagers,' and 'Desigining Great Beers.'

I've delayed replying here because, to tell you the truth, these books are not really what I was chasing at my current level or for the style of beer I'm chasing. I'm a little dissapointed with the purchases so far as they are not as useful as I hoped.

I have found that New Brewing Lagers, while very detailed raises far more questions that it answers. There are some areas that I was very surprised to find weren't covered in the book. I imagine that as my skills develop then maybe this books usefulness will as well.

In Designing Great Beers I might be missing something as well but in hop additions they seem to refer to weights rather than IBUs. Once again, more of a reference book that should increase in value for me.

One interesting thing is that it has even been impossible for 2 of the experienced brewers here to advise on the style I was chasing which is a dry, hoppy European lager along the lines of Becks, Grolsch, Heineken, Peroni etc.

So far, the best help has been AndrewQLD who listened to what I was after and kindly gave me a recipe to get me started on my quest. I'll hopefully get to taste the result this week.

The other great help was Ross's offer a few posts above. I managed to score a few recipes from a clone recipe book of his. I'm unsure of the name of it as I just copied a few recipes. This was helpful in narrowing down some ingredients.

I'm sure the above books are valuable but I wouldn't recommend them to a brewer of my level.

Cheers
PP

P.S. The recipe section on AHB is coming along nicely.

In Designing Great Beers I might be missing something as well but in hop additions they seem to refer to weights rather than IBUs. Once again, more of a reference book that should increase in value for me.

The reason they dont mention IBUs for late editions is because you are looking for flavour and aroma, which is done by amount not alpha acids

Latest posts

Back