Oyster Stout Anyone Done It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Oyster Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 28.71 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 31.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.75 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
0.50 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) Grain 8.77 %
0.45 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.90 %
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Northern Brewer [7.70 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
10.00 gm Northern Brewer [7.70 %] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (30 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 kg Oyster shells (Mash 0.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Full volume Single Infusion, Medium body, Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.70 kg
----------------------------
Full volume Single Infusion, Medium body, Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Infusion Add 28.00 L of water at 69.4 C 66.0 C
20 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Notes:
------
Lacking a way to 'filter' the hot wort over the shells, I put the shells into a Swiss voile bag and put them in the boiled wort for 1 minute before removing.

Got it fermenting today, and it smells good, no overly noticeable odour. Will let you know how it tastes in a few weeks when it is ready to keg.

cheers,

Crundle

Hmm, seems I didn't get back to it after all, but here goes....

It had a minerally taste to it for the first 6 weeks it was in the keg, but then eased up and became quite drinkable, with a hint of 'something different' about it.

I think the mineral taste came from the shells.

I had one of these last week that I had bottled from the keg, and it was a great drop. I will revisit this again I think, especially as I now know a bit more about how to make up a recipe for stout, so this one shouldn't be as harsh as the last one, as it had far too much roasted barley in it.

Crundle

Keith kindly put it on tap late in the day when we were up there for a brew day Sunday before last.

Lovely stout, the oyster is just a hint and the smoke didn't dominate the beer, lots of big roast and chocolate notes and just those subtle hints of kelp/iodine and smoke.

Anywhere anytime I'll have another.

MHB

the three boys oyster stout (from nz) at the recent anzac day thing at local taphouse was pretty bloody good, and it had real oysters apparently. great wild brininess it added, like the sea breeze whipping in off christchurch harbour. lovely thick roasty malt presence too

i had an oyster stout at potters on the weekend, had a good shine off 2 schooners then checked tap label and it was 6.9% alc looked like i wasnt driving. Convinced the misses into having a coffee in which i used that time to drink some bock. Her coffee was that good she wanted another. " Yes" i thought, time for another bock or 2 lol.
Big arse steak sandwich with chips during the beers and was loaded for the ride home. always impressed with my visits to potters brewery.
However there was a cranky old lady working there this time who was basically looking for trouble amongst the patrons. Not a good look!

Back