Oyster Stout Anyone Done It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

270win

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done an oyster stout?

I have found info on the net that says oyster stouts were only called that because they are a stout meant to compliment eating oysters.

Other info I found says that you can brew with whole oysters in a batch or just oyster juice added but then I found reference to oyster shells being used as finings and hence calling it an oyster stout.

My thoughts were to maybe get the juice from a dozen or 1/2 dozen oysters and boiling it with water and 1/2 kg of dark malt and then add it to a dry or imperial stout recipe.

Anyone got suggestions or comments?

Cheers.

I have never tasted one and could not imagine oyster flesh complimenting the flavour of beer. I would stick to using shells as finings.

If I find an oyster stout tho, I'd give it a go. Really, tho, if it was any good, it would be a more popular sub-style.

cant say ive ever had one either. I certainly wouldnt be putting anything near a $40-$50 batch of RIS unless I knew it was going to be damn good. Maybe try a normal cheaper stout first

i remember someone making a recent post about oyster stouts somewhere online

I've tried the Porterhouse Oyster Stout and I thought it was brilliant.
I loved the smoothness that complemented the good roasty flavours.
It doesn't have to be an imperial size stout.
I plan to make one someday, but that's a long long list...
There were some posts around of people who have done it, as has been mentioned, and I believe they had some success, whoever they were...

From the Brew Your Own recipe archive.................

Black Pearl Oyster Stout

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain with bivalve mollusks)
OG = 1.052 FG = 1.013 IBU = 37 SRM = 60 ABV = 5.0%

Despite names like Fat Spider Ale, Turkey Stout and Black Kitty Brown, only one BYO recipe has ever featured animals as an ingredient Black Pearl Oyster Stout. Weve been lucky enough to taste this beer, brewed by Joe Walton and Jim Michalk, and its delicious. The beer has a complex dark grain character and a slightly silky mouthfeel. Theres no strong oyster flavor, but you may detect a slight salty/briney character. For best results, use hard water with a moderate to high level of carbonates.

Ingredients
9.0 lbs. (4.1 kg) 2-row pale malt
0.5 lb. (0.22 kg) flaked oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) roasted barley
0.5 lb. (0.22 kg) chocolate malt
0.25 lb. (0.11 kg) black patent malt
10 oz. can raw oysters (and brine)
1 tsp. Irish moss
8.6 AAU Fuggles hops (60 mins)
(1.5 oz./43 g of 5.7% alpha acids)
4.3 AAU Fuggles hops (20 mins)
(0.75 oz./21 g of 5.7% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or White Labs
WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash grains for 45 minutes at
152 F (67 C). Boil wort for 120 minutes. Add hops at times indicated. Add oysters and Irish moss with 15 minutes left. Cool wort. Transfer to fermenter, leaving oyster bits behind. (Dont eat the oysters, Joe and Jim say they taste terrible.) Aerate, pitch yeast and ferment at 68 F (20 C).

Extract with grains option:
Replace 2-row pale malt with 14 oz. (0.40 kg) Briess Light dried malt extract, 3 lbs. 14 oz. (1.8 kg) Muntons Light liquid malt extract and 2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) 2-row pale malt. In a 3 gallon (11 L) or larger stock pot, heat 1.6 gallons (6 L) of water to 163 F (73 C). Placed crushed grains and flaked oats in a large steeping bag and submerge bag in this hot water. Maintain temperature at 148153 F (6467 C) for 45 minutes. While grains mash, heat one gallon (3.8 L) of water to 170 F (77 C). Remove grain bag from steeping pot and place in colander over stock pot. Rinse grains with 0.75 gallons (2.8 L) of water from brewpot. Combine grain tea and dried malt extract with remaining hot water in brewpot and heat to a boil. Boil 60 minutes, adding hops at times remaining indicated in recipe. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add liquid malt extract, oysters and Irish moss. Stir thoroughly to dissolve extract. (Keep the clock running even though it will take a few minutes for the wort to resume boiling.) Cool wort and transfer to fermenter, leaving oyster bits behind. Add water to make 5 gallons (19 L). Aerate, pitch yeast and ferment at 68 F (20 C).

(All-grain recipe from Oyster Stout: A seaworthy stout experiment by Joe Walton, January-February 2004, p. 64.)

I tasted that beer at the Squire beerhouse on the King St wharf, and it was quite nice, without discernible oyster flava.

Potters also made one, and IIRC used a 1/2 dozen oysters in 600 litres. I could detect the oysters if I squinted, but others could pick it. Goes to show that you don't need much oyster/beer volume.

Les out

there is a restaurant/shop in Tasmania called Marila Bay Oysters, who make their own Oyster Beer. It actually has a mild taste of oysters... but just sorta tasted like beer mixed with sea water to me!

I made one 2 weeks ago. Used 3 oysters in a 25ltr batch, Keith said Potters used 6 in a 600ltr batch and it was to many...Why I then used 3 in 25ltrs i don't know (something to do with a drunken conversation with Les I think)... I tried it the other day out of primary and it is quite minerally, not a great deal of oyster taste as such though.

This was going to be my HAG case swap beer but I think this one will need a fair bit of time in the bottle so I'm going to brew something else.

Hey it might turn into a good beer in 6 months....

The Oyster Stout at Potters has been brewed by different people over the last couple of years, it is one of our seasonals brewed as a one-off batch for St Patricks day celebrations.

Two years ago the recipe was as simple as some roast barley and a richly flavoured ale malt, and the oyster quantity was very low. I could not pick out an oyster flavour, but the texture of the beer was fabulous.

This year the malt bill had far more complexity, can anyone say 'layers', and a lot more oysters. It would be inappropriate for me to reveal an exact quantity, but if you took a guess at somewhere between 1 dozen and 3 dozen oysters you would probably be in the right ball park.

Happy Brewing,

Keith

And can I say that the most recent Potters Oyster Stout was sooo good. Best. Stout. Ever. (in my best comic book guy voice)

I will second that....... it was soooooo smooth and creamy. I couldnt really taste oysters but there was something different about it

flavour?
texture?
layers? :)

must have been the oysters :)

cheers

I am keen on trying this recipe Black Pearl Oyster Stout recipe

I am thinking of only using one oyster in the brew instead of their recommended amount. I would rather have a drinkable beer that I can improve next time than something undrinkable.

Has anyone made this Black Pearl Oyster stout before?

cheers,

Crundle

I will second that....... it was soooooo smooth and creamy. I couldnt really taste oysters but there was something different about it

flavour?
texture?
layers? :)

must have been the oysters :)

cheers
Layers? Maybe they added onions

(or parfait)

Dont do it Crundle!!!!!

Bellarine Brewing down Geelong way do a lovely oyster stout...i reckon it's worth a try...actually i've just finished bootling and kegging my oatmeal stout and was thinking what it'd be like to make an oyster stout...so i reckon go for it

Crundle, talk to sinkas (half a dozen posts back) He made one for the Sandgropers Xmas swap and it was a ripper. I have spent most of my entire life on, in or at least within earshot of the ocean and Sinkas definitely captured a little of it and expertly combined it in his stout.

Latest posts

Back