Oyster Stout Anyone Done It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per general advice, start by using a small amount of oysters and fine tune your recipe from there.

FYI - I had the Porterhouse Oyster Stout over Xmas. It was the second beer of the day and the taste (like oyster sauce) stuck with me through to the next morning.

As per general advice, start by using a small amount of oysters and fine tune your recipe from there.

FYI - I had the Porterhouse Oyster Stout over Xmas. It was the second beer of the day and the taste (like oyster sauce) stuck with me through to the next morning.

Don't tell DJ1984 that, I am trying to convince him that it will taste alright!

Crundle

scheldebrou oesterstout clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 11.40
Anticipated OG: 1.075 Plato: 18.27
Anticipated SRM: 44.8
Anticipated IBU: 49.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 51.61 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG 14.36 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.3 9.50 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
8.8 1.00 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 63
7.9 0.90 kg. JWM Roasted Malt Australia 1.032 609

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 15.8 60 min.
50.00 g. Wye Challenger Whole 7.50 24.9 60 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 3.5 30 min.
20.00 g. Wye Challenger Pellet 7.50 5.6 30 min.

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 11.40
Water Qts: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume L: 0.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

all runnings through spare kettle full of rinsed oyster shells (5kg or so) on way to
kettle ask your local fishmonger

Thanks Sinkas, will give it a crack - and a good excuse to eat enough oysters to filter the wort through!

cheers,

Crundle

JUst go to your local fish monger, they throw away the top shell after shucking, my local was happy enough to freeze a 20 l bucket for me.

Knocking up an oyster stout this Saturday, based on Sinkas recipe. Will post up pics on this thread and recipe when I work out how to get it from beersmith. I have been looking forward to this for a while now, and despite the pleadings of DJ1984 that it is just wrong, it is all teed up and ready to go at 8am tomorrow.

Thanks for the input Sinkas and others, this should be a great winter warmer!

cheers,

Crundle

I'm halfway tempted to do an escargot stout. Anyone attempt this before?

I'm halfway tempted to do an escargot stout. Anyone attempt this before?

And the point of doing that??? escargot are quite bland without garlic... though I have heard of garlic beer before!

And the point of doing that???

Pretty much just so I can say I did it. The wife bought a tin of them some time ago so she could make stuffed mushroom caps with escargot. I got the idea as soon as she opened the can because it reminded me of smoked oysters.

I have been looking forward to this for a while now, and despite the pleadings of DJ1984 that it is just wrong, it is all teed up and ready to go at 8am tomorrow.

:lol: just have a stout with oysters on the side or if you feel the need slide one in the glass, but not in the kettle!!!!! :icon_vomit:

At Hunter Beer Co they've been doing it as a seasonal for a few years now - I'm actually dropping this year's batch off to the Sydney Local Taphouse today (should be on tap some time next week). It was my turn to brew it this year and I brewed a Smoked Oyster Stout - put in a bit of Rauch malt and without doubt turned out sensational, in my opinion... but now you guys can taste for yourself @ The Local.

So if you have a bit of Rauch put in 5 - 10% of the grist.

Oh and not too many Oysters or you might as well lick a bottom of a ship. We use 12 for 5Hl

The brew day went well, but I had to go to work when it was done, so I didn't get a chance to put up the recipe and photos yet, hope to do that tomorrow. It is in the cube now and should be ready to pitch yeast in it tomorrow arvo. Rather than 'filter' the stout over the oyster shells, I ended up putting the oyster shells in by Swiss voile bag and immersing them in my urn at the end of the boil for about 2 minutes, then took it out so I could cube the beer straight from the urn.

There is no discernable smell at all in the hot wort, so I think that this will be drinkable, and hopefully there will be just a hint of 'something' different with it when it is ready. I didn't test the gravity yet, so will have to do that tomorrow once I dump it into the fermenter. Hopefully I managed to hit the target SG this time, I was stirring madly every 10 minutes during the mash instead of my previous 'dunking' technique.

Will be interesting to hear reports about the smoked oyster beer on tap, was that 12 smoked oysters in 500 litres?

Not too sure about escargo beer, but then again, why not, its only a little step on from oysters I guess! (Run it past dj1984 - LOL)

cheers,

Crundle

Anything that is alive or was alive does not belong in beer apart from yeast!!

I made a stout years ago and after the boil i found there were several slugs in the kettle when i filled it. They were now cooked meaty lumps on the bottom of the kettle.

It was a great stout.

Litteraly slid down the throat :)

cheers

I made a stout years ago and after the boil i found there were several slugs in the kettle when i filled it. They were now cooked meaty lumps on the bottom of the kettle.

It was a great stout.

Litteraly slid down the throat :)

cheers

ohh dude im gonna chuck, :icon_vomit: SLUGS!!!!

Yep true story!

50 liters of it and it was tops!

stoutLarge.jpg

Will be interesting to hear reports about the smoked oyster beer on tap, was that 12 smoked oysters in 500 litres?

cheers,

Crundle

Yeah like Keith said it has varied in the past from 12 - 36 in 500. The year prior - not sure how many but to me it had a nice little "olive" character definitely from the Oysters. I backed down and you can definitely pick up a slight mineral aroma but then the malt grist takes the front seat in flavour. Dropped the keg off at The Local and will be on tap probably around Wed or Good Friday - appropriate for a seafood eating day...

Hope the brew day went well - feel free to bring a bottle up to the Hunter...

Craig

Dropped the keg off at The Local and will be on tap probably around Wed or Good Friday - appropriate for a seafood eating day...

Damn one day too late for the Darlo Ale-Stars tomorrow night. I'd like to give this a taste!

Latest posts

Back