Oxygen Bottle Hire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi all,

Done a bit of searching but didn't turn up anything on this...

I have been looking for an outlet where I can hire (or buy) an oxygen bottle to use for wort aeration, but haven't had much luck.

BOC only have the large shoulder height cylinders and Air Liquide only do the medical (need a doctors certificate) or welding ones (not sure if they are pure enough).

Anyone been through this process and come to a satisfactory resolution?
I know I can use an air compressor (I already have one), but I want more control over the process than I can get with one of these.

Cheers!

I think you will find the only difference between Medical oxygen and welding is the the actual cylinders inside material, they are filled by the same machine its just the cylinder inside is made differently.

I kind of remember somebody saying that welding oxygen has to be cleaner than medical oxygen (not sure). Anyway go and see your doc and tell him you need it for brewing he may give you a cert.

Kleiny

Some HBS carry mini oxy cylinders and stones for oxygenating.. not many though. I heard a rumour that craftbrewer has them, but is unable to post hence not on the website.

I have the small medical one, about 4kg I think. It is large enough to take the normal O2 regulator. The smallest one needs some other attachment.
About $15-$20 per month.

I have the small medical one, about 4kg I think. It is large enough to take the normal O2 regulator. The smallest one needs some other attachment.
About $15-$20 per month.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you get yours from, and did you need a doctors certificate?

About $15-$20 per month.

Not for much longer... BOC sent letters out just last month announcing that all their cylinders will soon be moving to pinlock type regulators.

Not for much longer... BOC sent letters out just last month announcing that all their cylinders will soon be moving to pinlock type regulators.

Yeah saw something about that too, and as I have a D/VT sized O2 bottle in my workshop and have had for years (use one every 2months or so), I'm not a very happy camper right now, if it proves to be true/comes to fruition. Anyway I have to stop by there in the next week or so for gas(es) so I'll ask the manager what the go is.

BTW to the OP, BOC do a D size (about the same hight as a small CO2 cylinder) O2 bottle, which for your purposes would be enough to last you years!, and at ~$32/quarter plus the original gas isn't too bad, and you can always use it to do oxy work if you have the kit/skills to do so, might save you a few bob if building stuff for the brewery......

another option is to find a hardware store that sells the disposable bernzomatic oxygen cylinders- united tools sell them down here in melbourne, and you can buy a little valve/ regulator from morebeer.com- i've gotten about 10 brews out of each bottle, which may work out considerably cheaper than boc/ air liquide rental...depending on how much you brew of course.

remi

hey remi im just looking into this myself now and was wondering wich united tools you get your cylinders from. i talked to the bloke at airport west but said id have to order 12 or more for him to get them in.

Some HBS carry mini oxy cylinders and stones for oxygenating.. not many though. I heard a rumour that craftbrewer has them, but is unable to post hence not on the website.

CB does have them but the attachments are very expensive, something like $90 to get set up. I splash and thrash, does my wort just fine ;)

hey remi im just looking into this myself now and was wondering wich united tools you get your cylinders from. i talked to the bloke at airport west but said id have to order 12 or more for him to get them in.

i picked my up from united tools in newlands road- coburg. that was a year or so ago though, haven't been again recently

CB does have them but the attachments are very expensive, something like $90 to get set up. I splash and thrash, does my wort just fine ;)

yep same :) let it drop from a height while I'm chilling, there's normally about 8L or so of foam above the wort by the time it's full, figure that must get a bit of O2 in it...

I know I can use an air compressor (I already have one), but I want more control over the process than I can get with one of these.

Cheers!

What sort of control are you after, specifically?

i picked my up from united tools in newlands road- coburg. that was a year or so hem a go. i got ago though, haven't been again recently

ah thanks for that mate.i'll give that a go. if all else fails ive got the distributers number now and will give him a call. will see what i find out and report back here.

Back