Over Hopped My Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baulko Brewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently experimenting with BIAB and thought that i would try a practice beer of only 10 litres. Anyway, having a few beers whilst waiting for the mash, i halved the recipe of a 20L batch in everything except for the hops which i have kept according to the 20l recipe. i have just realised relooking at the recipe that i have made this error. the beer is still in the fermentor. is there anyway of fixing it or is it just going to be hoppy. All up I have put 60gms of amarillo into a 10l batch. Is this going to be overhopped or will it be OK??

Hey

it will depend on alot of factors, when did you add your hops? how big was your boil , the gravity of the boil?

Programs like brewmate or beersmith are really good in helping you work out hop additons , utilization for the gravity
of your wort pre boil.

Hops flavour and aroma will die back with aging, bitterness can round out some as well.
Id say just lap it up and learn from it.
You could always blend it with another batch same brew that is not hopped if you were that way inclined.

BUt yeah its only 10L no biggy really

good luck

You haven't started fermenting yet? If so, I reckon you could save it. I think what you do depends on your initial grain bill and your bittering addition times etc. But some options as I see it:

- Do another mash/boil of the same grain bill (for 10L) and combine to make it a 20L brew.

- Get some liquid or dry malt extract. Probably one can (or equivalent in dry) would do the trick and make it up to 20L or so.

- Do nothing and see what happens. Might be seriously bitter (again dependning on your additions) and seriously hoppy. Who knows, you might like it... ;-)

Post your recipe to give us some insight.

Do you bottle or keg? If you don't like the taste when its finished you could just keg it and top up with another less hopped brew. If you bottle and have the fermenting space then i spose you could make up another less hopped batch and blend in a bottling bucket.

You haven't started fermenting yet? If so, I reckon you could save it. I think what you do depends on your initial grain bill and your bittering addition times etc. But some options as I see it:

- Do another mash/boil of the same grain bill (for 10L) and combine to make it a 20L brew.

- Get some liquid or dry malt extract. Probably one can (or equivalent in dry) would do the trick and make it up to 20L or so.

- Do nothing and see what happens. Might be seriously bitter (again dependning on your additions) and seriously hoppy. Who knows, you might like it... ;-)

Post your recipe to give us some insight.

the recipe was Doc Smurto's Golden Ale and the hops were put in exactly per recipe. I guess I just need to try it out and then pretend that i didn't do it. if it comes out bitter. The silver lining is that i acheived my BIAB without any issues at the time. Will be doing it again.

thanks for the advice

it'll be a nice AIPA now, not too sure if you like AIPA's :)

A lot will depend when you added the hops - if you did a lot of late hopping the beer should be ok.

If you make a 2nd batch to blend with it, as has been suggested, make sure that use some hops in the second batch- say about 20 ibu's. If you don't use any hops at all you may find you get unwanted off flavours in the 2nd batch.

It'll be delicious. Bitter, but delicious.

If you want to "fix" it, I'd suggest adding 5L of water and 1kg of LDME.

Call it an extreme IPA and pretend it was deliberate? Dare your mates to drink it and call them wusses if they don't. It'll be gone in no time.

Having tasted a heavily hopped version of DSGA (and this was years ago, before I developed a taste for hops) it will be OK. Sure, the hops will kick you upside the head, but it will still work.

Don't worry about it.

My first AG brew was an SNPA clone, designed for a volume of 23 litres. I totally mucked up my volumes, and ended up with 15 litres instead. I didn't change the hop schedule. The result was a deliciously hoppy beer, not really an APA but an AIPA.

Grow to love a hoppy beer on your AG journey, you'll never look back!

The last batch I did was a Bohemien Pilsner. for whatever reason (read too many :icon_cheers: ), I managed to put in double the hop recipe.

B. Saaz 36g 60mins
POR 26g 60mins
Saaz 25g 15mins

Been bubbling away for 2 weeks now and I've been dreading tasting it. Did a hydro sample last night, and tasted it. It was REALLY good. Bitterness much akin to an Urquell (I think I remember what it was like when I was in Prague) although maybe a bit stronger, however, from my experience, a lot of it will drop out when the yeast settles, so i'm not too worried, in fact, im kind of looking forward to it now! :)

I'd say leave it, and bottle/keg it. If its too bitter, do a 'lager top', ie, a little drop of lemonade in it :D

I often do batches of APA with only one, large 15 minute hop addition. About a year ago I was also on to my nth schooner, the kettle has started boiling and so I dumped the 15 minute hop addition in.

Didn't even realise what I'd done until the alarm went off telling me to put the hops in with 15 minutes of the boil to go.

It was bitter, I was aiming for 35 IBUs at 15 minutes. Ended up dry hopping the hell out of it - drank the lot anyway. I find once you get used to really bitter beer the rest tastes bland.

You could always drink it as a shandy mixed half and half with Carlton Mid. :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back