Outragous Electricty Bill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your wine fridge have a glass front? Pretty shitty insulation there if it does unless it's double glazed.

My $0.02

Mick

Does your wine fridge have a glass front? Pretty shitty insulation there if it does unless it's double glazed.

My $0.02

Mick

That could be the problem I think ;)

And a perfect post after one from Kin Kin

Batz

I have on eof the plug-in electricity meter things. Reads Amps (instantaneous) and can also accumulate kWH for you.
We have an upright freezer, and it used iirc 80 kWH in a week. I defrosted it, and it used around 15kWH the next week.

I will be defrosting that sucker every few months from now on for the money it will save me.

dreamboat

I have on eof the plug-in electricity meter things. Reads Amps (instantaneous) and can also accumulate kWH for you.
We have an upright freezer, and it used iirc 80 kWH in a week. I defrosted it, and it used around 15kWH the next week.
I will be defrosting that sucker every few months from now on for the money it will save me.
dreamboat
Ice is a very good insulator as you have now worked out!

What else do you do Stow? I live in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland and the choppers go past so often they should call this area 'Copperhead Road'
Where your high electricty bill comes from

I've never understood why people running grow ops STEAL power. The elec. companies will be on to it, eventually. If they acted like normal people and paid their (really high) bills on time, it's much less likely to raise suspicion.

Sorry, OT.

I got an old fridge from my brother and the compressor was loose, it rattled like a *******, kept it in the shed for cold conditioning kegs, could hear it 100m away!!

My bill went from $300 quarterly to $480 quarterly the quarter after I got it!!! Someone told me that if a compressor is running noisy, its running inefficiently. It also ran almost non stop.

I pulled the back apart, mounted the compressor of probber rubber mounts, now my last quarter is back to a better $320!!

All that plus I run chest freezer, side by side fridge/freezer, three tv's, four computers, serving fridge, bar fridge, four electric blankets (darn Victorian winters). Gas heating, cooking and hot water.

So my electric bill is not too bad. Maybe I can afford to build that coolroom after all......

Dammit I really can't see where all our electricity is going....$600....and there is only 3 of us...we use fire to heat during winter and we are pretty energy conscious....glad I bought one of those energy meters...going to suss out whats chewing all that juice.

I've never understood why people running grow ops STEAL power. The elec. companies will be on to it, eventually. If they acted like normal people and paid their (really high) bills on time, it's much less likely to raise suspicion.

In Canada, the utilities will turn you in if your consumption (meter bypass or not) is high enough. But I agree that it will probably take longer for them to catch on if you pay your bill.

One thing that is catching on round here is the theft of copper by drug addicts. Even from fully energised substations....which serves as sort of an instant karma kind of feedback loop for the moron who tries to cut copper bus bars out of ominously humming equipment. ;)

dreamboat

I just ordered one of these,on special at Jay-car ATM,only $29.95.
Just hope it will not cause a problem with all my fridges once swmbo sees it :(

CAT. NO. MS6115 RRP $39.95

MAINS POWER METER
This intelligent power meter simply plugs into a normal power point (GPO) and turns it into a real-time power monitoring outlet. You can enter the ...more...
QTY
1+ $29.95

I honestly can`t imagine why some of you blokes are in the price bracket you are, someone even said they were close to a grand for A QUATER!!
That`s $80 plus a week.
Bugger that.

staggalee.

dreamboat

We May have our answer here! my defrost stopped working half way thru the month. i didnt realise it until i noticed my fridge wasnt cold enuf.

anyway its defrosted now.. And ive got a power monitor so ill monitor everything.

Just opened our power bill for this qtr...

$1,071.21 :eek: :eek: :(

Roughly the same daily kWh as last September's qtr, so I can't say it's uncharacteristic :(

Averaging 72kWh/day

Roughly the same daily kWh as last September's qtr, so I can't say it's uncharacteristic :(

Averaging 72kWh/day

wholly shit! we have a winner.
What exactly do u have in ur house
Ducted airconditioning + 5 teenagers?

Averaging 72kWh/day

Seriously? Are you running a particle accelerator?

I'm not normally Mr environment, but that's terrible...!

I can only hope your brewery is the culprit.

Ducted air (heating & cooling), a stay-at-home wife looking after a 3yo and a 5 month old, three computers on 24x7. The brewery is completely LPG.

Interestingly enough (for me at least), I use about half the amount of power during the summer months than the winter months.

Looks like some upgraded/replacement insulation is in order.

While we're on the topic, what was everyone's daily avg or total consumption for the qtr?

Mine was 5536kWh Peak @ 14.9c/kWh for the first 1400kWh then 16.15c thereafter.

Perhaps I'm just paying too much per kWh? :unsure:

Phrak that is similar prices (maybe cheaper) than what we are paying here. I think you really need to look at your consumption. Insulation would be a good idea.

Our bill at $600 is high enough....too high at that!!!

Geez Phrak you must be rolling in $$$ if you've got a stay at home wifey with those sorta elec bills.

Latest posts

Back