Chest Freezer Fridge - 0.1 Kwh Per Day!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
I bought a little gadget from JayCar the other day to measure how much electricity various devices use

I've had it hooked up to my keg fridge - It's an old kelvinator (20+ years old - 480 litre) - As it got the blame for the increased power bill last quarter

I've got it rigged up with a fridgemate set to 5*C, 2*C degree tolerance and the probe is shoved in a piece of polystyrene - which dangles in the fridge

Having run it for 3 days with the device - it's chewed up just over 6kWh and cost 98c to run

That's about 33c per day or $120 per annum

I was surfing the net and came across this very interesting article

http://mtbest.net/chest_fridge.pdf

It suggests that a converted chest freezers can be run at as little as 0.1kWh per day or about $6 per annum (assuming 16c per kWh)

So I guess the moral of the story is converted chest freezers can be used not only in craft brewing but to also save $ in the household budget

And that fellow brewers should lean toward a chest freezer when setting up a keg system or even for everyday household use

It goes to show that a free fridge may not be as "free" as one would have initially thought

Now all I have to do is convince SWMBO that converted chest freezers are the way of the future!

Cheers

Hey Cortez, what is that jigger you bought called and how much did it cost?? I think I might like to play the how much does it cot to run game too.

Got one of them too, 'borrowed' from work.. I'd be happy to lend it out to fellow HBers who are keen to find out how much juice the brew fridge is pulling.

Wow that is very interesting. Looks like a converted freezer with an adjustable thermostat is the way to go then.

Thanks, I can see one of those in my future.

Hey Cortez, spill the beans mate, what was the device that you got called? And how much? I want one. Want is need as far as I'm concerned when it comes to brewing.

edit: too damn slow and didn't read properly.....thanks cortez

Just ordered one, thanks for the headsup cortez, I've been looking for one of these for AGES. Now I'll finally be able to find out how much my big fridge is slugging me through the summer. Might even help me get purchase of a new one approved.....:)

I posted this last year

Mar 23 2006, 04:03 PM Post #1
Having replaced my faithful 32 YO but very dead fridge wiith a 358L chest freezer, I noticed that I rarely heard the freezer (set on 3C) running, so I put an hourmeter on it and over 120 hours, the compressor ran for 18.5 hours. Now this thing draws only one amp so over a year its going to cost me about fifty bucks. The old fridge drew 1.6A and it ran most of the time. If I said it ran 3/4 of the time, it cost $350.00 per year.
The freezer cost $400.00 so by June 2007, it will have paid for itself, so turf those cranky old fridges folks and save the planet.

hmm, very interesting reading. thanks for the info guys.

might need to check one of those power meters out and see what the "new" keg fridge is gonna cost me.
joe

My chest freezer runs 24/7 as a keg fridge, and has made bugger all difference to my power bill... The ducted aircon however, is a different story.

Last summer I used a fridge for my kegs after my chest freezer died.

The fridge was outside on the verandah and the compressor ran alot. When you put a warm keg in it struggled to pull down the temp of it, was taking 24 hours. On a hot day the compressor was running about half the time.

I bought another chest freezer out of the paper for $50. Like my old chest freezer the compressor hardly runs at all. If you have a look at the thickness of the walls of a chest freezer they are twice as thick as the walls of a fridge maknig them more efficient.

I advise everyone who asks, to go the chest freezer way. I've stated many times on here, that even buying a new chest freezer will pay itself off very quickly against most old fridges that chew up the power. A most useful tool & will certainly be getting one myself.

cheers Ross

I advise everyone who asks, to go the chest freezer way. I've stated many times on here, that even buying a new chest freezer will pay itself off very quickly against most old fridges that chew up the power. A most useful tool & will certainly be getting one myself.

cheers Ross

Have you run out of room already? :p

If you have a look at the thickness of the walls of a chest freezer they are twice as thick as the walls of a fridge maknig them more efficient.

Also, when you open a chesty, the cold air doesn't spill out around your feet and get replaced by 20+ deg air like it does with a fridge.

Just ordered one, thanks for the headsup cortez, I've been looking for one of these for AGES. Now I'll finally be able to find out how much my big fridge is slugging me through the summer. Might even help me get purchase of a new one approved..... :)

Just got to say, I've been waiting for these to actually arrive since they were first advertised in the jaycar catalog in August 2006 :)

Got one a little while back, and it's really interesting to see how much various appliances are costing to keep annually. If satisfying your curiosity is worth $40, then these are great little gadgets.

Andy

:party: Pardon my ignorance my fellow drinkers but as I am new to the game.
How does one go about converting a chest freezer for more practical purposes than freezing food?

Pardon my ignorance my fellow drinkers but as I am new to the game.
How does one go about converting a chest freezer for more practical purposes than freezing food?

You need to add to the equation a temperature control device (Fridgemate?) which has a thermostat that tells the freezer when to turn on and off.

Set the thermostat to the desired temperature (lagering or serving, etc)

Because chest freezers are more efficient than upright fridges, the need for active cooling is reduced.

WJ

Back