Outragous Electricty Bill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like something is on the nose in NSW guys, I just got my latest bill, $360 for 4 fridges, 1 chest freezer, non-off peak 250L electric hot water, electric stove and oven, 1PC, 1 laptop, 1 big mother old style TV.

Browndog

The apparent increase in electricity consumption we are seeing is direct result of greehouse gases. Imagine the power lines etc a great big pipe , the size, construction and speed at which the electricty moves around makes it pretty efficient, until it goes past your meter. When it gets in your house the wiring uses old technology and materials that were designed before the increase in greenhouse gas emmission. Essentially the insulation, due to increased GHG is just not properly insulating and your electricity is leaking out into the atmosphere, turning your apliances off does not help as the power still runs to them and leaks out of the cables, imagine a plumbing sytem full of thousands of miniscule leaks...that is where your electricity is going.

K

The apparent increase in electricity consumption we are seeing is direct result of greehouse gases. Imagine the power lines etc a great big pipe , the size, construction and speed at which the electricty moves around makes it pretty efficient, until it goes past your meter. When it gets in your house the wiring uses old technology and materials that were designed before the increase in greenhouse gas emmission. Essentially the insulation, due to increased GHG is just not properly insulating and your electricity is leaking out into the atmosphere, turning your apliances off does not help as the power still runs to them and leaks out of the cables, imagine a plumbing sytem full of thousands of miniscule leaks...that is where your electricity is going.

K

I would have thought that if your power is "leaking out" through the cables even when appliances are turned off it would be a short? Which would result in tripping of circut breakers, or in a worse case scenario, fire. To me this sounds like a load of BS. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you done the math on that dr K? Most power lines in Australia are bare copper, why do your electrons not leak out of these? Air is an insulator, combined with the insulation already on the cables it seems unlikely that this would give you a high electricity bill. Not to mention all the RCD's that would be tripping of due to this leakage.

If you believe this to be true the you should test the insulation resistance of your installation which will give you the overall resistance of your wiring (with everything unplugged of course) then P=VI and you could calculate these "leaks".

What do the green house gases do exactly?

Just opened our power bill for this qtr...

$1,071.21 :eek:

Roughly the same daily kWh as last September's qtr, so I can't say it's uncharacteristic :(

Averaging 72kWh/day

Wholly Phrak :lol: ,

Seriuosly dude that is alot of power usage there. I would definatly consider finding where all that juice is going. Ducted air uses a shirtload of power so you might want to consider putting jumper on instead of cranking it up.

Check your meter. My last bill was up $175 higher and I was at a loss as to why so I checked the meter to find and I was overcharged by 1000KWhrs peak.

Have you done the math on that dr K? Most power lines in Australia are bare copper, why do your electrons not leak out of these? Air is an insulator, combined with the insulation already on the cables it seems unlikely that this would give you a high electricity bill. Not to mention all the RCD's that would be tripping of due to this leakage.

If you believe this to be true the you should test the insulation resistance of your installation which will give you the overall resistance of your wiring (with everything unplugged of course) then P=VI and you could calculate these "leaks".

What do the green house gases do exactly?

I'm still not sure if Dr K's post was a deliberate troll or not - that's why I didn't respond. :rolleyes: To anyone who thinks that electrical lines can somehow "leak" - they can't. Reminds me of one of my first summer jobs in university, testing earth grounds on farms. Where I'm from, the power system works on an earth ground basis for the return path - there are no separate ground lines in use. Almost to a man, whenever a farmer asked us what we were doing, they'd pipe up with "is it leaking, because my power bill is too damn high!" <_<

K

What?

What type of Dr are you?

Spin Dr?

I've just been doing a bit of searching - seems there's FINALLY a comparison website for energy plans.

Unknown where their revenue comes from - commission maybe?

It seems I can save up to $250 a year, according to http://www.goswitch.com.au

ahh, just found where their revenue comes from:
http://www.goswitch.com.au/FreeText.aspx?tName=Survey
"About GoSwitch
www.GoSwitch.com.au is a new online service that has been developed to help Australians pay less for electricity and gas. GoSwitch is free for consumers and they are under no obligation to switch energy companies when they use the website. If customers switch energy supplier, GoSwitch receives a small fee from retailers it has a commercial relationship, but this is not added to the price paid by the consumer."

Averaging 72kWh/day
Wow, you must have a lot of stuff running there... my power usage averages around 6.2 kWh/day , except over summer when the air conditioner gets a bit of a workout and it gets up to about 6.8. That's with everything electric except the hot water. But then I live in a townhouse with only one fridge + TV and a wife who has been trained to adjust her clothing rather than turn on the heater/air con. :)

Looks like some upgraded/replacement insulation is in order.

Jee, ever heard of one of these

Jumper%20pink%20red%20fleece%20lined%20rope%20edge%20400.jpg

Well I don't know what the hell u guys are doing but as I said before I have a very large house, pool, 4 fridges, ducted air, and 2 kids and I have never had a bill over $230.

Wow, you must have a lot of stuff running there... my power usage averages around 6.2 kWh/day , except over summer when the air conditioner gets a bit of a workout and it gets up to about 6.8. That's with everything electric except the hot water. But then I live in a townhouse with only one fridge + TV and a wife who has been trained to adjust her clothing rather than turn on the heater/air con. :)

Must be fun around your place in summer ;) Naked women woohoo! :)

K

Too much Kannabis :lol: .

Well I don't know what the hell u guys are doing but as I said before I have a very large house, pool, 4 fridges, ducted air, and 2 kids and I have never had a bill over $230.

I just want to get this right- you`ve got a 55 square home with 60,000l. pool, ducted aircon, 4 tv`s, 4 fridges and whatever and you`ve never had a power bill over $230.00 for the quarter.
Is that right? :mellow:

staggalee.

I just want to get this right- you`ve got a 55 square home with 60,000l. pool, ducted aircon, 4 tv`s, 4 fridges and whatever and you`ve never had a power bill over $230.00 for the quarter.
Is that right? :mellow:

staggalee.
If it was <$230 per month, that would be perfectly believable.

Yeah...it`s odd tho that the blokes paying $700 to a grand plus a quarter didn`t turn a hair or query it when they saw that.

staggalee.

Back